Millriver

T/S Kennedy

Millriver

Since this group on UJ is such an eclectic mix of individuals, I figured I'd share some information that is personal to me at this time and others might find interesting.

The T/S (training ship) Kennedy is about to embark on Sea Term from the Massachusetts Maritime Academy. My son is a Sophomore Marine Transportation major onboard, and will be sailing to the Caribbean with 600 students. They're leaving Buzzards Bay Saturday and won't return until February 25th. This will be his second trip on the ship.

They'll be stopping in Jamaica, Colombia, Barbados, and Tampa, with a stop in Haiti to deliver humanitarian aid as well. As I tell people, it's not a Carnival Cruise, as they're working onboard the ship and taking classes as well.

Anybody interested can log onto followthevoyage.com to learn more. It's a site geared to the school groups following the trip, but full of information and pictures. Really good if you have kids who might be interested.

We're very proud of our son, and will miss him, but look forward to hearing of his adventures. It's a trip I'll never take! Second picture below he sent off the stern of the iced in Buzzards Bay, as they're busy loading the ship this week for their trip.

IMG_2603.JPG

53721318693__84DE8966-F82E-4B49-80DE-DAEDA9EB6226.JPG

Irishwhistler

Millriver,

Great experience for your son and your pride in him is most evident in your writings, that being simply awesome.  A wonderful educational opportunity for him.  Please keep us in the loop on his time underway.

Cheers,

Mike 🍀

dogrunner

Sounds interesting, I hope he has fun and stays safe, oh and at least he's going to warm places. :D

Millriver

So I was up at 3:15 this morning driving from the outer Cape back to Bourne to see the Kennedy depart. It was delayed from yesterday due to high winds. We got to see my son for an hour or so prior to muster onboard for final preparations. It was 20 degrees with a sea breeze, so the cadets were anxious to set sail for warmer climes.

Will be back on February 25th for its return.

IMG_2624.JPG

IMG_2642.JPG

67diesel

He will enjoy the smell of molasses being cooked down into rum as he pulls into port.  That was a long time ago that I was there and have never forgotten it (obviously).

Millriver

Got an email from my son. He spent Monday helping to unload 44 pallets of humanitarian aid onto other boats off the coast of Haiti. He helped load 15 pallets onto a boat he said he wouldn't use on the Connecticut River here in Western Massachusetts! That boat then had a 2 hour trip back to the island. They had to pull in a bow line as some scavengers (his words) were trying to board their ship. Says seeing all of that made him appreciate all we have here in the US.

Their landing in Jamaica has been cancelled due to the violence there. Hadn't heard a thing about that, but after some research I discovered there's travel advisories out about going there. Glad his school is on top of things.

My son is seeing and doing things I'll never do!

Millriver
On 1/14/2018 at 3:34 PM, 67diesel said:

IMG_2672.JPG

IMG_2671.JPG

IMG_2673.JPG

Millriver

So after almost 2 months at sea, we welcomed my son home yesterday in the cold wind and rain at Massachusetts Maritime Academy at the entrance to the Cape Cod Canal. 600 students and 100 crew members made stops in Cartegena, Colombia, Barbados, St. Thomas, and Tampa. He had a great trip, learned a lot, and is happy to be home. We're happy to have him!

gordy

Good for your son. I attended a Nautical college here in Canada and went on to get my Master Mariners ticket. Sailed foreign going merchant ships for years. Rewarding career. 

dogrunner

Cool. Sure don’t look like a Carnival cruise. How did he like the accommodations? 

Millriver
1 hour ago, dogrunner said:

Cool. Sure don’t look like a Carnival cruise. How did he like the accommodations? 

About 40 in his hold, stacked 3 high. This was his second sea term so he knew what he was getting into. I say the same thing, not a Carnival cruise. He had classes to take, watches at various stations, and other duties including painting, kitchen duty, etc. He was happy to be home today and sleep in his own bed. The dogs went nuts, as expected, when they saw him!