• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE add more info than just  "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering it is not bullet proof, so Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a warm blooded human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Thank you.
Canuck

Expensive pheasant

Kemo Sabe
1 hour ago, Cooter Brown said:

If you're thinking about an implant do your research.  A poorly done one is going to be more expensive in the long run than one done properly.

I'm going through this right now with an upper front tooth.

Exactly.

As a practicing dentist for 40 years, and who has done 1000's of implants, I can tell you that Cooter is spot on -- poorly done (read "cheap") implants can be a huge problem down the road. Very expensive, and very difficult to fix.

The best pathway to a good final implant is to have a Oral surgeon or Periodontist place the first of three components -- the "Fixture" in the bone 3 months (there are situations where you can place the fixture when the tooth is extracted) after the tooth is extracted. It will take another  3 months   to heal and intergrate into the bone. After 3 months, the top of the fixture is exposed, and a healing cap is placed for two weeks. This provides the pathway through the gums to connect the abutement and the crown to the fixture. A general dentist or prostodontist does the abutement and crown placements. 

There are any number of cheaper methods usually done completely by a  general dentist which really aren't the best way to go. Myself, I have specific Oral Surgeons or Periodontists I want my patients to work with. I also not only use a screwed in abutment (to the fixture), but also use a very tiny set screw (instead of cement) to attached the crown to the abutment. This way, all of my work is easily recoverable if some porcelian where to break down the road. A little more costly, but a whole lot better.

Canuck, for a pheasant bone to break a tooth, there  always has to be a pre-existing problem with the tooth. A fracture, decay, large filling that's coming apart, etc. A pheasant bone isn't going to break a healthy tooth all on it's own. Ain't going to happen.

Kemo Sabe
17 minutes ago, 25/06 said:

Pulled a broken tooth?

Do you live in 1979?

I broke a chunk out of  one of my teeth on side behind incissor?? and they capped it no big deal looks better than new.

I have a front one that was getting ground down and they built it up 2 years ago still going strong.

That isn't always true. 

Broken teeth that are all above the gum are indeed very easy  fix with a crown (maybe might need a root canal). Broken teeth that are flush with the gum are going to need a root canal if they don't already have one, as well as a post and then a crown. For the most part, teeth broken below the gum aren't very strong, don't have anything to hold the crown on to, and usually are pulled and replaced with an implant or bridge. 

topdog1961
1 hour ago, Brookieslayer said:

As a fellow Canuck I feel your pain for the cost of dental work here in Canada. I know of some people that have gone to other countries to have some dental work done and saved $1000's

Good luck with the Dentist!

Not meaning to start a war over socialized medicine, but I thought all that stuff was free in Canada. 

Canuck

ought6,

Dentists here are "for profit" not part of the "free" medicare we have in Canada.

I'm pretty sure that what they told me about the way the tooth split rendered it useless.

Cooter,

I hope things work out for you. I was about to ask you what I should look out for when Kemo Sabe posted.

Kemo.

The method and time frame for the work you mentioned sounds exactly what my dental team (dentist, surgeon, orthodontist and denturist) are proposing. I figured that is why it cost so much!!

Thanks for all the comments, much appreciated.

Canuck

Topdog,

The only folks here that get free dental are status Indians (not Metis) and Inuit. When they signed Treaties status "Indians" were promised to be "taken care of for as long as the wind blows and the grass grows". The rest of us pay. I don't carry dental insurance although I do have extra "medical insurance". My wife and I risk manage the dental part and so far that has paid off.

Kemo,

Not sure how the bone caused the break. It happened with a very loud Crack sound as my top tooth slid off the small bone chip and caused me to overbite with my top teeth sliding down over the front of the bottom teeth. No signs of decay, nothing showing up in annual check ups. Is there any chance that chemo and/or radiation treatments could have had an effect on the tooth/root. In any event what is done is done and I will cautiously approach the repair.

25/06
6 minutes ago, Canuck said:

ought6,

Dentists here are "for profit" not part of the "free" medicare we have in Canada.

I'm pretty sure that what they told me about the way the tooth split rendered it useless.

Sorry to hear that! The dreaded word tooth split!

I sincerely hope you get a good result from whatever you decide.

It is amazing what Dentist have come up with in just the last few years.

14 minutes ago, Kemo Sabe said:

That isn't always true. 

Broken teeth that are all above the gum are indeed very easy  fix with a crown (maybe might need a root canal). Broken teeth that are flush with the gum are going to need a root canal if they don't already have one, as well as a post and then a crown. For the most part, teeth broken below the gum aren't very strong, don't have anything to hold the crown on to, and usually are pulled and replaced with an implant or bridge. 

I am not very up on this stuff and did not want to come off as being crass. Thanks for the info.

I have eaten a ton of pheasant and can sympathize. To be fair a bone fragment from a Ruffed Grouse would probably do the same thing!

Creamed Pheasant, Potatoes, Pie...MMM

Cooter Brown
26 minutes ago, Kemo Sabe said:

the top of the fixture is exposed, and a healing cap is placed for two weeks. This provides the pathway through the gums to connect the abutement and the crown to the fixture. A general dentist or prostodontist does the abutement and crown placements.

This is where I'm at in the process now.

Can't wait to get it finished--the dog chewed up my flipper and I'm tired of looking like my namesake!

topdog1961

I found out the hard way what Kemo is saying about you get what you pay for in dentistry. Several years ago I needed my one and fortunately only root canal. But all the dentists I called charged considerably more than my dental insurance allowance. Now I could afford the difference, but I was stubborn and determined to find one who would do it for that cost. After all, my insurance company said it was "reasonable and customary".  

I found one guy in a town about 50 miles away. My first warning sign should have been that his office was on a run down industrial back street. My second should have been that it had that cheap hotel room smell. My third should have been when they seated me in the chair and  he walked in looking like he just came off a three day drunk and/or drug fest. Apparently he didn't use enough anesthetic and when he hit that nerve I just about went through the roof. No long term harm done but I bet my hand imprints are still in his dental chair, assuming he's not in prison somewhere. 

Cooter Brown
21 minutes ago, Canuck said:

Cooter,

I hope things work out for you. I was about to ask you what I should look out for when Kemo Sabe posted.

Thanks--I'm glad Kemo showed up--he outlined the process a lot better than I could have.  What he described is exactly what I've done.  The periodontist who did the implant work is well thought of and has written texts on the procedure.

Mine has been expensive--I did a little research and for some reason the Atlanta area (basically most of North Ga.) is one of the most expensive places in the country for dental work.

You can get a root canal/crown done in Manhattan cheaper than you can around here, and implants are as expensive here as they are anywhere.

Cold Iron
22 minutes ago, Kemo Sabe said:

That isn't always true. 

Like Remo steel shot here too but about 4 years ago, and it was from a pheasant. Must be something about pheasants and teeth...

Dentist was going to do a crown it was the very back bottom left molar and was cracked. He went in to do the crown and the tooth split the rest of the way down below the gum. No choice but extraction then. Bad news was a crown and canal was going to be around $2k all told. Good news is tooth extraction was only $400. Pulled it and left it as is because it was the very back molar but at times I miss it LOL.

One of several reasons I am not a fan of steel shot. Non tox can pay for itself in more ways than just performance over steel IMO.

dogrunner

Sounds like the King is a Bad ass bird on teeth. 

25/06

Bad luck!

Everybody picking on pheasants! You never hear these problems with wood cock

because people either swallow the meat whole to minimize the taste or slip it to the

dog so they have something to roll on later!:ph34r:

Kemo Sabe
13 minutes ago, Canuck said:

Kemo,

Not sure how the bone caused the break. It happened with a very loud Crack sound as my top tooth slid off the small bone chip and caused me to overbite with my top teeth sliding down over the front of the bottom teeth. No signs of decay, nothing showing up in annual check ups. Is there any chance that chemo and/or radiation treatments could have had an effect on the tooth/root. In any event what is done is done and I will cautiously approach the repair.

Again, a pheasant bone isn't as hard as a healthy tooth, and it's not going to break a healthy tooth. And yes, radiation can have negative effects on the tooth, root, and bone. There probably lies your causative factor. Be sure you talk to your general dentist and your oral surgeon about that factor before proceeding with the implant. 

Kemo Sabe
18 minutes ago, Cooter Brown said:

Thanks--I'm glad Kemo showed up--he outlined the process a lot better than I could have.  What he described is exactly what I've done.  The periodontist who did the implant work is well thought of and has written texts on the procedure.

Mine has been expensive--I did a little research and for some reason the Atlanta area (basically most of North Ga.) is one of the most expensive places in the country for dental work.

You can get a root canal/crown done in Manhattan cheaper than you can around here, and implants are as expensive here as they are anywhere.

Interesting that Emory at one time had one of the best Dental Schools in the Country. But they closed it down a while back. I came close to going there. 

Greg Hartman

Don't have any advice to offer, Canuck, other than to wish you luck in dealing with something that sounds very painful