• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE add more info than just  "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering it is not bullet proof, so Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a warm blooded human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Thank you.
25/06

Summer Vacation Plans

25/06

Winter is making me stir crazy.

I am starting to plan a summer vacation.

Wife and I on motorcycle. Last year we toured Yellowstone on bike. We cheated and drove out in the pickup with the bike in trailer.We stayed at Yellowstone lodge for 3 nights. We did this so we could attend a fundraiser shooting event for the Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody. About 20 other people from South Dakota attended the shoot. We had a really good time.

We want to do something similar this year. We would like to go to Glacier National park. We would like to tie trip into a NSCA sporting clays shoot if possible.

I have shot in 3 forks 4 years ago and in Polson about 10 years ago but I do not know what is available.

Any suggestions on must do's, dont's or tips from locals or guys on bikes who made similar run would be welcome! I will only have a bout 11 days away from and back to work.

What are you planning for summer or just a snow get away?

bike.jpg.15507b6079e0651c133e2053f041a5f2.jpg

topdog1961

My wife and I can’t go anywhere together for more than a day or two, we have two teens at home that we can’t trust to make wise decisions while we are away. A year and a half ago we went to the Keys to celebrate our 25th. We left the kids with friends we had known for years through our children being friends.  A few days into the trip we got a call from the county sheriff asking about the big blow out teen party that was happening at our place the upcoming Saturday night.  We live in a small rural town and apparently social media and the high school were buzzing about the big event.  The teachers went to the principal, who called the sheriff, who called us.  Everyone in town knew about the big under-age party and he wanted to get to the bottom of it.  All the coaches for every sport called a team meeting and told their players not to go to Topdog1961’s house Saturday night because the police were staking it out and anyone there would be arrested.  We came home from our anniversary trip early just to find out what the hell was going on and to prevent any possibility of mischief.  Of course our kid’s denied knowing or saying anything.  Whether it was just social media fueled small town rumor mill run amok, plus over-reaction by the school, or there was something behind it, we will never know.  I do know it ruined our trip and was very embarrassing, considering we live in a small community where if you pass gas, everyone knows about it.

Our kids have matured a lot in the last year and a half, especially the youngest, our son.  But since then we have not felt comfortable leaving town for more than day or two.   

25/06

TopDog1961

I got married a little later in life and we do not have children so crazy teens are not an issue.:( but on a bright note my wife and I travel will together!:D

Brad Eden

Leaving a house that's a bit off the beaten track, unattended, for anything over a week or two in the dead of winter in Maine is stressful. Weather can wreak havoc. But me and JoAnn typically escape for 4 days to a week in late winter. Typically Feb or March. For quite a few years that meant a spin to my daughters place in Charlotte NC. We loved that trip. Easy peasy...drive to Logan, quick flight with no stopovers and we were in NC. But she and her husband moved to NH, which is super, of course, but I miss that winter break. We are talking about a trip to Nashville TN this winter, just for the hell of it. Nothing has jelled yet but it's under discussion. We also are considering a visit to Seattle WA and my brothers place in North Bend. But what I really jones for is the southwest. I fell in love with AZ and NM on trips we have taken. If I could drag my wife from the east coast and family I'd be there right now....improve my camp and stay in Maine in May for wild turkey and October through December for Upland and Whitetail hunting at my camp. Yeah...I'm already sick of this winter...

ccavacini

This will be an interesting summer for us.  For years, we've retreated to our lake cottage from April to late September.  This year we decided to remodel the cottage (from 12,00 Sq. ft. to 4,000 Sq. ft), sell our place in Fort Wayne and move up there permanently.  Scheduled to move in May 1, but I don't see that happening.

So, our summer vacation will be moving all the stuff I put in storage, plus all the stuff in the house, selling the house (villa), and moving in to the lake cottage.

Damn, I got tired just typing that.

Gunsmoke
  • Brad that's utterly amazing!!!!! My relatives in maine still think the world's flat and I95 stops in Portland :D

Jakeismydog2

My wife and I are planning a trip to Alaska this summer. Any insights would be appreciated.

Rockdoc

I'm pretty certain I'll be driving my home -on-wheels to Idaho this summer to visit my mothers old homestead and do some fly fishing. I'm not certain where I'll be going from there. Last year I had a great time hunting sharptails in Montana and pheasants in Nebraska. However, I'll need to keep an open mind and peruse the internet as to where I'll be going. Assuming my son is fully recovered from the neurosurgery he had in early November, there's a good chance I'll be back in Nebraska for pheasant hunting with my son.

Steve

jeff88
33 minutes ago, Jakeismydog2 said:

My wife and I are planning a trip to Alaska this summer. Any insights would be appreciated.

We're planning one too - an inland waterway cruise with the both kids, a DIL and a boyfriend.  The inland cruises allow for hiking and exploring.  Thinking September right after Labor Day.

Brad Eden
10 hours ago, Jakeismydog2 said:

10 hours ago, jeff88 said:

We're planning one too - an inland waterway cruise with the both kids, a DIL and a boyfriend.  The inland cruises allow for hiking and exploring.  Thinking September right after Labor Day.

Ive only been on two cruises. First was to Bahamas out of Florida with the whole family. It was awesome. The second was me and JoAnn on an anniversary celebration trip to Alaska out of Seattle, WA, on Royal Caribbean I think. It was a nightmare. Naturally cold, to be expected, but the stopover ports were nothing more than movie set villages catering to the cruise/tourist crowd. We made a HUGE mistake by trying to save money and didn't book any inland excursions when at port. Spend the money ON helicopter tours etc. We got hit ripped off by a street vendor who drove people around in an old van looking for salmon in the small rivers and bears close to the movie set port. We didn't see either. When we cruised into Glacier Bay National Park, which can only be seen and appreciated from the water, all the best viewing spots in deck were gobbled up by the hordes of large families and groups that walked the deck like Zombies day in and day out. I spent all my time with binocs looking for critters in the water and on the shoreline and can't remember being awed by anything, except the distant mountains that seemed so far away. The ship was old and tired,  and the food sucked compared to the Bahama cruise. Jake dog became ill at the breeders and we couldn't get off the ship to arrange to go home. (He recovered but we were stressed about it) Once in, you are basically a captive we found out. Some people are cruise people, some aren't. We learned a big lesson. It really was that bad. If I went back it would be to a lodge or sporting camp operation, anything but a cruise line. Feel free to Message me if you want any more input from me.

atticus

Sharon and I will be celebrating our 25th anniversary late this spring and are planning a trip to celebrate.  The problem is we cant seem to decide on where.  The original idea was a trip to capitals in central Europe --Prague, Vienna and Budapest. Great albeit pricey and cold in May.  Then I proposed Portugal and southern Spain--less expensive and better weather plus neither of us have been there before. Then Sharon suggested a late summer trip to Iceland and Scotland--which could include fishing!  The debate continues.

I am also contemplating a trip to James Bay in Quebec, similar to the road trip I did to Labrador a couple years ago.   My truck has 323,000 miles though and that is giving me significant concern.

shoot-straight

yes cruises arent for everyone, captive is the right word too. among others, we went on the alaska cruise and enjoyed it. we did some fun and cool stuff while in port- certainly didnt like all the tourist crap at the port. i mean whats different about fudge made in alaska vs anywhere else? we went salmon fishing on our own (long story), horseback riding and scuba diving in a kelp forest. 

in skagway we took the train up the yukon trail. that was pretty cool. really cool actually. to think the work that went in to construct it back in the day. and before the train everyone had to do it on foot. also in skagway my wife and i walked around "normal" areas. very small sleepy town. i saw a older looking hardware/general store. i literally ran to go inside. i was not dissapointed, all kinds of cool stuff. 

we took a tahitian cruise 15 years ago. that was amazing. only way to visit there since food and lodging is astronomical. incredible diving. 

we went to rome for 2 weeks a few years ago. highly reccomended. so much history, so much to see. great food, overall a very nice, easy place to visit. 

WyomingArt
12 hours ago, Jakeismydog2 said:

If you're driving , get the book "Mileposts"  it the mile by mile guide to gas, food lodging, campsites. RV dumps, and phone numbers of medical, emergency etc. Paperback and always on Amazon. Even if a couple years old it'll be useful. There are a couple Alaska bulletin boards for fishing, hunting , etc. you might want to do some reading. You can stay on the road system and have a great time, catch some good fish. Though you will have company in the summer.

Cruise ships in  AK,  no experience. But I've seen what they tend to over run a small town  when 2 dock at once.

Bullwinkle
15 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

We are talking about a trip to Nashville TN this winter, just for the hell of it.

Nashville is a great 'just for the hell it' destination..  

1 hour ago, atticus said:

Then I proposed Portugal and southern Spain-

Barcelona..  I would love to go back.

jeff88
2 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Ive only been on two cruises. First was to Bahamas out of Florida with the whole family. It was awesome. The second was me and JoAnn on an anniversary celebration trip to Alaska out of Seattle, WA, on Royal Caribbean I think. It was a nightmare. Naturally cold, to be expected, but the stopover ports were nothing more than movie set villages catering to the cruise/tourist crowd. We made a HUGE mistake by trying to save money and didn't book any inland excursions when at port. Spend the money ON helicopter tours etc. We got hit ripped off by a street vendor who drove people around in an old van looking for salmon in the small rivers and bears close to the movie set port. We didn't see either. When we cruised into Glacier Bay National Park, which can only be seen and appreciated from the water, all the best viewing spots in deck were gobbled up by the hordes of large families and groups that walked the deck like Zombies day in and day out. I spent all my time with binocs looking for critters in the water and on the shoreline and can't remember being awed by anything, except the distant mountains that seemed so far away. The ship was old and tired,  and the food sucked compared to the Bahama cruise. Jake dog became ill at the breeders and we couldn't get off the ship to arrange to go home. (He recovered but we were stressed about it) Once in, you are basically a captive we found out. Some people are cruise people, some aren't. We learned a big lesson. It really was that bad. If I went back it would be to a lodge or sporting camp operation, anything but a cruise line. Feel free to Message me if you want any more input from me.

Brad, thanks for this.  Have never been on a cruise and probably would never consider going on one except my wife wants to do this.  Last summer she went on a "daughters" only cruise with this company called Uncruise on the Columbia River in Oregon and absolutely loved it.  We ave always wanted to go to Alaska so now she wants to do it via their cruise line.  Here's the link:

https://www.uncruise.com/destinations/alaska-cruises

Her sisters and parents thought these folks were amazing, they had a ball.  Jean wants the same boat, Captain and crew and apparently in emailing with them they seem to have stayed together.  Not sure which tour they'll do but it includes a lot of on-shore stops with close-in navigation as the boat is not very large.  Once I get more info other than how much I'm spending will send you the details.  Thanks for offering to coach!

BTW, when I retire, I may look into becoming a crew member on one of these types of tours and see if they'll hire me as a bartender.  We'll see next September - my wife's sister had the idea, she said I'd have a blast.