25/06

Summer Vacation Plans

DennisMcFeely

We’ll be back in Mexico in three weeks as a winter break.   I like breaks 

FAAECE2B-CA00-4C95-9168-A3C547370DC4.jpeg

charlo slim
20 hours ago, 25/06 said:

We want to do something similar this year. We would like to go to Glacier National park. We would like to tie trip into a NSCA sporting clays shoot if possible.

I have shot in 3 forks 4 years ago and in Polson about 10 years ago but I do not know what is available.

Any suggestions on must do's, dont's or tips from locals or guys on bikes who made similar run would be welcome! I will only have a bout 11 days away from and back to work

Lots to do in the vicinity -- Glacier, National Bison Range, Flathead Lake and River (fishing, whitewater floats, lake cruise, etc), pack trips in to Bob Marshall Wilderness Area, etc. Good times, structured activities or not. Big Sky Sporting Clays out of Polson gets very good reviews and hosts some major shoots -- check with them for schedules.  Give me a shout if you get serious about heading this way.

Felix

Every-other year, on even numbered years, we rent a house on a lake somewhere and the kids and grandkids spend a week with us. Usually in Michigan but have been to other places. Just spend a week swimming, reading, exploring and playing along the shore.

IMG_1358.JPG.04f1e5f86b5596f8fa3345b34d496680.JPG

IMG_1361.JPG.ab85b6c2492c43391376895a6d4e4b79.JPG

IMG_1395.JPG.87b4639f3391eeeaa6a51d32a4f45e70.JPG

This is an even year! It's a great way to spend a relaxing week.

boutdoors4

Did a land tour of Alaska several years ago and enjoyed it very much. Went thru Auto Club. Best part was the bus ride into Denali Park make sure you take the longer tour as you get to see so much more. Also did train from Anchorage to Denali Park that was cool also. Also included 6 hr. boat ride to glacier very cool also, whole trip was cool. Would love to go again this time with another tour co. so as to get to see more of Alaska

mccuha

Well I live in a vacation state. I hate the beach. My dad and MIL has a place on the coast. Mountains are good but Wife doesn't like. I guess you can say I'm on my summer vacation right now. Will be leaving to take my last of 3 trips today to hunt birds.  I do have a trout fishing trip in the works either July or Aug to we believe Colorado( a friend of a friend has a house there for us to stay FREE).  would like to try and take the wife out west just as a road trip with several destination stops but no specific plans.

Ben Hong

My vacations in any season have always depended on what the other members of the family will be doing. My daughter still has an apartment in Tulum on the Mayan Riviera where she guides scuba excursions. Her immediate plans are to prepare/rehearse to be "the star"for a major video/promotional shoot for a major Bank in Canada...in Costa Rica. So her parents of course have been paying rapt attention to her comings and goings. She paid for our 16 days in Costa Rica a couple of years ago...

My summers are pretty well set. Last year we were honoured to have the twins for a month, this summer both twins said that they want to stay the whole  summer!!! It's all they talk about. Darn!!! Hehehe...

Up North

We will be spending sometime on our land we plan on building our new home on. We had a shed built last Fall, and will probably start with the house mid Summer if all goes well. Hoping our cabin sell this Spring! Anyone looking for a cabin on a good fishing 🎣 lake in prime grouse country? Northwoods MN cabin 

Cabin

51D9173A-EF5D-469F-961B-B354DF1213D0.jpeg

2B4F418A-8DD3-4D78-9E03-875555105D44.jpeg

Cheesy
On 1/11/2018 at 7:16 PM, Jakeismydog2 said:

My wife and I are planning a trip to Alaska this summer. Any insights would be appreciated.

We are doing the same. Wife, kids (4 and 6), my parents, her grandparents and my sister are flying to Anchorage. Renting RVs and sure seeing for a week. 

Beyond that i have no clue how it’s all going to happen. 

NECarson

In a week we're going on a Caribbean cruise. 

Weekend in South Louisiana in February. 

March is our 15th anniversary, a weekend in the cabin on the lake we stayed at the weekend after our wedding. 

May we're camping at Big Bend. 

Austin in June. 

July/August dad and I are going Waleye fishing on Lake Erie, and probably flats fishing in Louisiana. 

tut

Did the Alaska inland cruise about 15 years ago on Princess Line.  Boat was new which was huge difference.  I think the Cruise in total was 11 days.  Left out of Vancouver and headed north.  Did the Inland passages and we booked a land excursion on every stop.  Did the Salmon fishing thing, Salmon bake thing, Skagway railway, totem pole tour.  Every morning prior to daylight I was in the Gym working out as we would pull into a new port, with a good set of binocs right by me in case I saw something out there worth looking at. Glacier Bay was amazing and we were right up in it.   After we ended up the inland passage, we hopped an old DC 30 and flew to Fairbanks and then hit Denali for 3 days and finally did the mid-night train back to Anchorage and flew out back for home.   Was a nice trip.  Wouldn't do it again, because it was a bucket list thing.  Food was good, as I mentioned the boat was new.   Contrast that with a trip to the Caribbean out of Baltimore with Royal Caribbean which was god awful.  Boat was very tired and stunk of mildew and sewage fumes.  They ran out of certain types of food (no Orange Juice, no bacon, etc).  That cruise had a lot more young folks on it who seemed to spend the vast majority of their time drinking and partying heavily.  The Ports had been hit by some hurricanes the year before and were still rebuilding. 

PS.  We did the Alaska cruise in August and lucked out totally from a weather standpoint.  We didn't see a rain drop for 11 days which was amazingly rare.  Was coolish, with normal highs in the 60's and lows in the 40's.   

Brad Eden

Tut was smart and did a lot of off ship excursions, and was on a nice ship. So a cruise to Alaska can be done and enjoyed. I'd just opt for an inland trip. I will admit the "calving" of ice in Glacier Bay was pretty cool.

Jakeismydog2
19 hours ago, Up North said:

We will be spending sometime on our land we plan on building our new home on. We had a shed built last Fall, and will probably start with the house mid Summer if all goes well. Hoping our cabin sell this Spring! Anyone looking for a cabin on a good fishing 🎣 lake in prime grouse country? Northwoods MN cabin 

Cabin

51D9173A-EF5D-469F-961B-B354DF1213D0.jpeg

2B4F418A-8DD3-4D78-9E03-875555105D44.jpeg

That looks awesome!

Jakeismydog2
8 hours ago, NECarson said:

In a week we're going on a Caribbean cruise. 

Weekend in South Louisiana in February. 

March is our 15th anniversary, a weekend in the cabin on the lake we stayed at the weekend after our wedding. 

May we're camping at Big Bend. 

Austin in June. 

July/August dad and I are going Waleye fishing on Lake Erie, and probably flats fishing in Louisiana. 

My wife and I went to Austin this year. The trip changed my entire thought process about Texas BBQ. Our favorite was La Barbecue. it was exceptional. better than anything I have ever had in Kansas City... which really really hurts my soul to say.

Besides the BBQ our 2 favorite things we did were visiting a couple of natural swimming holes. Hamilton pool preserve which is outside of town in the texas hill country. It is really cool with water dripping down through the limestone and ferns hanging off the ledge. The other natural pool wee went to is barton springs pool. Which is a city pool right in town. You can see the "skyscrapers" from the pool. It is very cool.

IMG_0668.JPG

IMG_0709.JPG

IMG_0722.JPG

IMG_0629.JPG

NECarson
2 hours ago, Jakeismydog2 said:

My wife and I went to Austin this year. The trip changed my entire thought process about Texas BBQ. Our favorite was La Barbecue. it was exceptional. better than anything I have ever had in Kansas City... which really really hurts my soul to say.

Besides the BBQ our 2 favorite things we did were visiting a couple of natural swimming holes. Hamilton pool preserve which is outside of town in the texas hill country. It is really cool with water dripping down through the limestone and ferns hanging off the ledge. The other natural pool wee went to is barton springs pool. Which is a city pool right in town. You can see the "skyscrapers" from the pool. It is very cool.

IMG_0668.JPG

IMG_0709.JPG

IMG_0722.JPG

IMG_0629.JPG

I love Austin. Spent a lot of time there as a kid, a number of trips as an adult. 

The city has changed for sure, but it's still cool Barton Springs is one of my favorite places. I haven't been to Hamilton in FOREVER... 

I'm very much a fan of Texas BBQ, but what I make has deviated a little bit. Still don't like sauce though. On the way to Galveston were going to stop in Austin for a night and try Valencia's, TexMex BBQ place. My favorite (probably mostly sentimental) is Southside Market in Elgin... 

PartridgeCartridge

I'd like to try Antarctica. Maybe even shoot a penguin if they hold well for the dog.