25/06

Summer Vacation Plans

OceanRoamer

Taking the wife to Madawaska, Maine. She left 50 years ago at age 10 and has never been back...and I’ve never been to Maine.

Brad Eden
7 minutes ago, OceanRoamer said:

Taking the wife to Madawaska, Maine. She left 50 years ago at age 10 and has never been back...and I’ve never been to Maine.

Cant get much further in Maine than Madawaska. You will love it. Not sure if you will fly or drive. Regardless, make sure to get as far East and onto the coast if you can, before turning north. The Maine coastline is unique and beautiful. Eat plenty of lobster and clams to help stimulate our economy.9_9

salmontogue

Madawaska has some surprisingly good restaurants.  Be sure to bring your passports, Canada is across the river.  Are you planning to fish? 

Perk

25/06

Thanks for the reply's!

Carlos Slim... Thanks you for the invite as we get things pinned down I will give you a PM..My wife did remind me that after our trip to Yellowstone we both agreed we had a great time, but I said we should not do the same type vacation 2 years in a row.. She did mention Clay County Wisconsin???.  I countered that we seem to have better vacations West of the Mississippi and she agreed with that!

Salmontogue... You need a passport to get into Canada now? It has been so many years since I went there that all you needed was your drivers license. Good Information

Folks I am not saying winter is getting to me this year but...The Shining was on cable and it sparked a memory, when I was a kid I thought the shining was a SCARY movie.....After yet another winter I realize it was more of a documentary:D:

The shining.jpg

dogrunner

Don't really have any, I'm more of a Fall vacation guy. 

salmontogue
5 hours ago, 25/06 said:

Thanks for the reply's!

Carlos Slim... Thanks you for the invite as we get things pinned down I will give you a PM..My wife did remind me that after our trip to Yellowstone we both agreed we had a great time, but I said we should not do the same type vacation 2 years in a row.. She did mention Clay County Wisconsin???.  I countered that we seem to have better vacations West of the Mississippi and she agreed with that!

Salmontogue... You need a passport to get into Canada now? It has been so many years since I went there that all you needed was your drivers license. Good Information

Folks I am not saying winter is getting to me this year but...The Shining was on cable and it sparked a memory, when I was a kid I thought the shining was a SCARY movie.....After yet another winter I realize it was more of a documentary:D:

The shining.jpg

You will need proof of citizenship and proof of identity.  A passport and a drivers license work well and the passport usually is all that is required.  If you show a photo ID like a LTC, you can count on being searched.  The traditional paper folder or the plastic credit card size passports work equally well.  They don't stamp them, therefore the credit card size suffices.  They enter your information in both directions as well as scanning your vehicle registration plates.  Firearms require prior approved paperwork.  At one time I hunted in New Brunswick but have given up on that as a result of the paperwork.

Keep in mind that customs officers are human, having both good and bad days.  Most crossings are routine but occasionally you may be treated like a criminal..

I am a dual citizen and hold both US and Canadian passports.  I learned the hard way to show both.  You might be astonished at the amount of information on you in the system.

Perk

OceanRoamer
14 hours ago, salmontogue said:

Madawaska has some surprisingly good restaurants.  Be sure to bring your passports, Canada is across the river.  Are you planning to fish? 

Perk

Won’t be fishing, but will be eating a few I’m sure. Passports at the ready.

OceanRoamer
16 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Cant get much further in Maine than Madawaska. You will love it. Not sure if you will fly or drive. Regardless, make sure to get as far East and onto the coast if you can, before turning north. The Maine coastline is unique and beautiful. Eat plenty of lobster and clams to help stimulate our economy.9_9

Flying into Boston from LA on frequent flyer miles. Then driving north to Madawaska and over the border into Canada for a few days. Wife wants to see house she grew up in, the Catholic elementary school she attended, the paper mill her father worked at, and visit some “shirt-tail” relatives.

She keeps telling me about the Lobster rolls and the Whoopie pies. And some kind of buckwheat flour crepe type thing she calls a “ploy?” 🤷‍♂️

Never heard of such things growing up in Indiana so I’m looking forward to it.

salmontogue
18 minutes ago, OceanRoamer said:

Flying into Boston from LA on frequent flyer miles. Then driving north to Madawaska and over the border into Canada for a few days. Wife wants to see house she grew up in, the Catholic elementary school she attended, the paper mill her father worked at, and visit some “shirt-tail” relatives.

She keeps telling me about the Lobster rolls and the Whoopie pies. And some kind of buckwheat flour crepe type thing she calls a “ploy?” 🤷‍♂️

There are two distinct types....the ploye and the gallette.  The County, as Mainers call Aroostook, is heavily influenced by French-Canadian culture and is surprisingly bi-lingual.

Perk

Brad Eden
7 hours ago, OceanRoamer said:

Got it, in that case come up I95 and cut East eventually onto Rte 1, maybe look at guns and gear at Kittery Trading Post and LLBean. Rte 1 will put you on the coast, and you can always head back west and back into I95 or Rte 3. Maybe spin through snooty Camden and the revived and hipster Belfast. If loads of time check out Acadia National park and Bar Harbor on Mt Dessert Island... Loads of good pubs and restaurants through all that area. Once inland the city of Bangor has come a long ways. It's where I did most of my commercial art and art direction work. The downtown has seen a revival while the Bangor Mall area is dying. I can suggest some good restaurants and pubs there. Bangor was a major logging/river driving city back in the day with the Penobscot River running between it and its sister city of Brewer. An old city that has a certain utilitarian charm. You will likely drive through Greenville and past Moosehead Lake etc. Then it's big woods for hours. Nice country. Watch out for any Partridge in the roads...

salmontogue

Another possibility would include Campobello and the Roosevelt summer home along with Lubec and Eastport.  You can take the ferry from Eastport to Deer Island Point, New Brunswick and tour a very old-fashioned and pretty area.  The ferry from Deer Island past McMaster Island and on to St. George is government operated and free.  It is a pretty trip.  From St. George travel to St. Andrews, New Brunswick, one of the prettiest towns in Atlantic Canada.  Be sure to dine at the Algonquin Hotel.  The food is first class and the hotel is historic and gorgeous.  You can travel north to McAdam and its beautiful railroad station and museum.  Due west is the border crossing or you can continue north to several other crossings.  Be sure to visit the Lumberjack Museum in Patten, Maine.

Perk

Dogwood

image.thumb.png.6e50f32e868c7d9c0cb32c8064c18091.png

Stickin' around.

Lars
8 hours ago, OceanRoamer said:

And some kind of buckwheat flour crepe type thing she calls a “ploy?” 🤷‍♂️

I think your going to love them ployes.  The first time I had them I couldn't stop eating them and had two servings.  If you get addicted there's Bouchard Family Farms that ships. 

Ben Hong
6 hours ago, salmontogue said:

Another possibility would include Campobello and the Roosevelt summer home along with Lubec and Eastport.  You can take the ferry from Eastport to Deer Island Point, New Brunswick and tour a very old-fashioned and pretty area.  The ferry from Deer Island past McMaster Island and on to St. George is government operated and free.  It is a pretty trip.  From St. George travel to St. Andrews, New Brunswick, one of the prettiest towns in Atlantic Canada.  Be sure to dine at the Algonquin Hotel.  The food is first class and the hotel is historic and gorgeous.  You can travel north to McAdam and its beautiful railroad station and museum.  Due west is the border crossing or you can continue north to several other crossings.  Be sure to visit the Lumberjack Museum in Patten, Maine.

Perk

Hah! I used to write passages like this in my days as a trade promotion guy! As for Campobello International Park, there's a little know fact that you can rent part of the main lodge for a conference or convention. The International Joint Commission used to have their meetings there...as did some others. I slept in one of the Roosevelt kid's bedrooms on several occasions...seascapes on 3 sides. I was given the "shit job" of arranging for venues and accommodations, hehehe. I also did protocol and accommodations for visiting princes, potentates, military heroes, (good to meet you, Stormin' Norman) and barons of industry. I usually took them to hardship places like our Provincial Salmon Lodge on the Restigouche, the Algonquin in St. Andrews, etc.

Ben Hong
5 hours ago, Lars said:

I think your going to love them ployes.  The first time I had them I couldn't stop eating them and had two servings.  If you get addicted there's Bouchard Family Farms that ships. 

Across the St. John River in the city of Edmundston, NB there's a festival each summer based on the ployes. Good eats!

Madawaska counties on both sides of the border share the same families of hardy French Canadian/Acadian stock. Most of the counties are bilingual. Some of my favourite people.