Irishwhistler

"CLEAR THE WAY" - A photograph.

Irishwhistler

Aye Mates,

I am posting this action image o' me gun dog TRAD vaulting o'er a large snow covered blowdown.  I captured this moment yesterday as TRAD was making a retrieve of a Dokken training bird with his incredible athleticism in full drive to make delivery to me once again.  As I watched him bound up and o'er in a cloud o' snow I was instantly transported back in time to most challenging days for TEAM TRAD having started treatments to fight  a cancer diagnosed in January of 2015.  TRAD definitely  sensed me illness and despair.  He hovered o'er me like the loyal gun dog every sport wishes to have just once in a lifetime.

Me treatments were rough to say the least, a concurrent schedule of high dose radiation treatments and chemotherapy that damn near killed me.  I did me best to maintain and push through and would repeat the battle cry o' "The Fighting Irish 69th Brigade" - FAUGH A BALLAGH or CLEAR THE WAY.  Repeating this mantra during some real dark times kept me moving forward and not giving up when it might have been easier to do so.  Me wonderful K9 companion carried me through some incredibly challenging times and he is laying at me feet as I scribe this to ye.  I am most blessed to have him as the loyal shadow he has been since our first day together.

Aptly, I have titled this photograph "CLEAR THE WAY" in honor o' TRAD'S full on approach to obstacles and the challenges he faces as a working gun dog.  For me personally, this speaks to me soul with depth that I cannot adequately describe.

I am blessed with a wide circle o' incredible family and friends that have been a bedrock o' support, many within our own very special community o' bird hunting gunnies that love fine dogs.  That said, me heartfelt appreciation goes out to all o' ye for grand friendship extended.

This cathartic moment comes as I prepare to have the port that lays in me upper right chest to deliver me chemo through, removed in less than a month.  Me Doctor's wanted to take it out back in September and I declined saying it might interfere with the proper mounting o' me smoothbore during the bird season.  Looking a bit deeper, I think there is just an underlying feeling o' apprehension that I will always fight to overcome.   The removal o' this port will certainly be a shackle removed, another victory shared by TEAM TRAD.

So Mates, here ye have it, not me best photographic work,  yet  it has far reaching implications for me personally, every day a gift.

"CLEAR THE WAY"

5a57c9cec0d37_DSC025352Resized.thumb.jpg.25206e80bf57a74a35a75409fc7cb597.jpg

"ANOTHER CORNER TURNED"

DSC02509Resized.thumb.jpg.f88f21ccc1146fd34023205e323dadf9.jpg

HR UH TTF CRAIGHORN KIFFIN TRAD SH 

Faugh A Ballagh,

Irishwhistler 🍀🇮🇪🇺🇸

Fire Marshal Bill

God bless you Mike. Best of luck to you with the removal of the port. Godspeed with your recovery. 

Greg Hartman

VERY glad to hear your health has so improved, Mike!!!

Brad Eden

Best wishes for continued improvement!

Craig Conroy

Great News, I'd say.  You'll be even better than you were!

dogrunner

Hopefully smooth seas from here on out, good luck. 

Canuck

All the best to you Whistler. I feel and understand your apprehension.  When I had mine removed it worried me a wee bit, but it also meant that I was one step further removed from the whole experience. As you said, every day is a gift and we are so lucky to have the chance to live life knowing that to be the case.

Gunsmoke

I'll be raising A Jameson in your honor tonight..Cheers mate

salmontogue

Keep on keeping on.  When you have a moment, read Teddy Roosevelt's "Man in the Arena".  It speaks to determination.  I think you might like it.

Perk

Jack L

Congrats on your continuing health improvement  Mike.  

Trad as always looking sharp.

Irishwhistler
1 hour ago, Gunsmoke said:

1 hour ago, Gunsmoke said:

1 hour ago, salmontogue said:

Keep on keeping on.  When you have a moment, read Teddy Roosevelt's "Man in the Arena".  It speaks to determination.  I think you might like it.

Perk

Thanks so much to all ye Lads.  Here is a fine performance by incredible Irish musician John Doyle with "CLEAR THE WAY".   Enjoy it Mates.

Mikey 🍀🇮🇪🇺🇸

Jack L

Great stuff Mike. 

Reminds me of my Great Great Grandfather and his brother. Irish coal miners from Pennsylvania. Went into the Civil War  as privates and fought with the Co. B Reg 76th from PA .  How a couple of mick  coal miners survived  the civil war is beyond me 

Irishwhistler
4 minutes ago, Jack L said:

Great stuff Mike. 

Reminds me of my Great Great Grandfather and his brother. Irish coal miners from Pennsylvania. Went into the Civil War  as privates and fought with the Co. B Reg 76th from PA .  How a couple of mick  coal miners survived  the civil war is beyond me 

Jack,

As mentioned in the lyrics, Irish that knew each other on the Emerald Isle certainly ended up fighting one another dependent on where there ship made land here in Americay.  Some  in Union territory, others in that of the Confederacy.

Mike 🍀

RookieEP

Quite excellent all around.  So happy to hear the dark days are behind and brighter days becoming everyday.  Your attitude demonstrates your appreciation for all that life has to give.  I love it.  God bless you on this next positive journey 

henryrski

Mike it is great to hear that you are getting healthier. I'm sure you put up a good fight and you won. All the best, Henry