tut

Don't be fooled, they are still out there

quailguy
2 hours ago, Mike Connally said:

My smallest setter, Becky, has been lethargic for a while. Wouldn’t eat. Just got the report back from the vet’s office. Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. 

Four weeks of Doxy. 

Damn ticks; I hate ticks !!!!

Best of luck, she'll come out alright with the antibiotics.

dogrunner
On 1/12/2018 at 5:19 PM, tut said:

They told me they needed to give Doxy in the first 24 hours after a bite.  After that it was not effective in treating potential problems.  Beats me.  All I know is everything soup to nuts cost me $19 (good insurance).  Worth it to me. 

PS.  I've pulled off lots of ticks over the years.  Considering this one was probably inbedded for 10 hours I was shocked how inflamed the area was.  Looked like the flesh was rotting away around the bite.  "Rotting and flesh" is never a sentence that should be used on a person, especially when that person is me.  :). 

PS.  Damn ticks. 

All they experts say it will work later on man or dog along with other drugs. 

Don Steese
On 1/12/2018 at 2:11 PM, Brad Eden said:

I got beat up pretty good for a lackadaisical attitude about ticks earlier...so don't go there any more. 

C'mon Brad....can't I take just a couple swings???

Don Steese

I am absolutely astounded at how well treating your clothing with permethrin works. I almost don't worry about ticks anymore. Mabel gets the Seresto collar and the spray from Tractor supply. I found a total of ONE on her this year after her first outing in PA when I forgot to spray her and she had a dozen crawling on her! 

Mike Connally

Becky’s 4 weeks of Doxy for Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever is up in 3 days. No more symptoms. She seems fine. I called the vet today and asked if I should schedule another blood test. They said it wasn’t necessary unless she was exhibiting symptoms. 

Does that seem right? Is the treatment that successful that there is no follow up? 

gunsrus

Don't have an answer Mike but glad to hear the good news . 

dogrunner

I would keep a good eye on her after the meds are gone. Any slight symptoms like before and I would be back to the vet for another round of whatever they think she needs. When it’s caught early it works good if caught later sometimes symptoms linger or come back. Good luck. 

Cooter Brown
2 hours ago, Mike Connally said:

Becky’s 4 weeks of Doxy for Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever is up in 3 days. No more symptoms. She seems fine. I called the vet today and asked if I should schedule another blood test. They said it wasn’t necessary unless she was exhibiting symptoms. 

Does that seem right? Is the treatment that successful that there is no follow up? 

Mike, unless I'm not understanding something here, if she's been exposed a test would be positive for the antibody so at this point it's moot.

If she's not showing symptoms it sounds like the doxy did its job, but she would still test positive as the doxy does not get rid of the antibodies.

If I'm wrong hopefully Doc Dogwood will come along to correct me.