shoot-straight

More Tundra Rust

shoot-straight

Took my 07 Tundra in as part of the "frame corrosion" class action suit. Dealer said ordered a "restoration kit"... After, I took it to my friends who had a lift- WOW! the corrosion in the rear of the truck was insane. I have a bed liner so I couldnt see, but I have 4 HOLES rusted though my bed. Did some googling, found out there was a TSB sent out about it. If it was noticed before the truck was 5 years old, they would replace the bed. Called the dealer, explained the issue, he said tough luck. I called Toyota, and have not gotten a return call yet. 

WTF? they know they have a problem, aknowledge it in the TSB, dont let us know then wont do anything? Not happy. No more Toyotas thats for sure. I could get it repaired for a couple thousand, but I have been advised it would just come back. Gonna wait, let it rust. If it gets bad enough Ill suck it up and get a new bed. 

I hope there is another class action suit. 

Rant over-

atticus

I guess you never know...

I have an '02  Tundra with LOTS of miles. Toyota told me I didn't qualify for the frame fix--too many miles and to old, when diagnosed.   I had an issue with he bed 8 or so years back--it was noticed when I had rhino liner put in.  The liner company fixed the spots for a couple hundred then did the liner over it--no further issues.  I have had my frame spot welded a few times to fix cracks and rust issues--each time for a couple hundred and its buys me another couple years. 

My Tundra is 16 years old and has 323,000 miles on it.  I'll buy another one if/when this one goes.

Brad Eden

Where do you live? (Locations can be set in Profile so they show up under Avatar: Adding Location Topic )

My mechanic sees all brands of trucks and says all trucks regardless of brand rust out in the northeast with all the road salt used in winter. I do understand that in early Tacomas there was an actual issue with the steel used in frame. It's still good I think that Toyota offered buyouts and new frames and undercoating repair, but not good if a particular year isn't covered. Your 07 is the first year they upsized the Tundra. Mine is the smaller '06 and I finally had the recall come through and had the full scaling and undercoating done a few years back. It has close to 200kbon it and now that I plow with it, it has become a bit of a beater truck anyhow. The aluminum bodied Fords look better all the time.

BlacknTan

I agree with Brad..

My neighbors in the ADKS get rid of their trucks after 2 or 3 years before they show any signs of rust.

As for Toyota, during a visit to the dealership,  I was flabbergasted to see the rusted out frames that had been removed and replaced at Toyota's expense. I never, ever saw a frame out back of any other dealer that was ready for the scrapyard. Big thumbs up to Toyota!

Disclaimer... I sincerely wish I could say this about the Big 3..

salmontogue
52 minutes ago, BlacknTan said:

I agree with Brad..

My neighbors in the ADKS get rid of their trucks after 2 or 3 years before they show any signs of rust.

As for Toyota, during a visit to the dealership,  I was flabbergasted to see the rusted out frames that had been removed and replaced at Toyota's expense. I never, ever saw a frame out back of any other dealer that was ready for the scrapyard. Big thumbs up to Toyota!

Disclaimer... I sincerely wish I could say this about the Big 3..

I cannot remember seeing frames behind dealerships except for collisions.  I applaud Toyota for taking care of the problems but should frame rust through have ever been a problem?  I live in a state that is challenging to motor vehicles but I have never had rust through on any vehicles and I drive mine until they are no longer worth repair.  A best friend with a Toyota was amongst the group that was not covered.  Talk to him if you want an earful.

Perk

BlacknTan
2 minutes ago, salmontogue said:

I cannot remember seeing frames behind dealerships except for collisions.  I applaud Toyota for taking care of the problems but should frame rust through have ever been a problem?  I live in a state that is challenging to motor vehicles but I have never had rust through on any vehicles and I drive mine until they are no longer worth repair.  A best friend with a Toyota was amongst the group that was not covered.  Talk to him if you want an earful.

Perk

I agree that this could (should?) have been avoided. My '02 Chevrolet truck had a waxy coating on the chassis. Not rust on it ever, but everything else rotted off... Fuel tank, fuel lines, brake lines, sway bars.. Brake line corrosion is just plain scary! 

But, in the end, anything made of steel is subject to corrosion, and the use of copious amounts of salt just accelerates the damage exponentially.

salmontogue
3 minutes ago, BlacknTan said:

I agree that this could (should?) have been avoided. My '02 Chevrolet truck had a waxy coating on the chassis. Not rust on it ever, but everything else rotted off... Fuel tank, fuel lines, brake lines, sway bars.. Brake line corrosion is just plain scary! 

But, in the end, anything made of steel is subject to corrosion, and the use of copious amounts of salt just accelerates the damage exponentially.

I have never understood why brake lines are not made from stainless steel.  More expensive but worth the cost.  The State of Maine eats brake lines.

Perk

gunsrus

My mechanic in Maine says that if you can avoid the Maine turnpike before , during and immediately after a snow storm , then do so . 

He says they currently use spray (liquid) that is so much worse than the normal sand and salt . 

He was telling me this as he was drilling out most of the capped lug nuts of a fairly new Jeep Wrangler .

NECarson
23 minutes ago, salmontogue said:

I have never understood why brake lines are not made from stainless steel.  More expensive but worth the cost.  The State of Maine eats brake lines.

Perk

Stainless lines are much more prone to cracking. 

salmontogue
1 minute ago, NECarson said:

Stainless lines are much more prone to cracking. 

Any thoughts on other replacements?

Perk

NECarson
6 hours ago, salmontogue said:

Any thoughts on other replacements?

Perk

I've used some vinyl coated lines before, they seem nice. 

But my vehicles don't see much salt, so I don't know how it would work. 

River19

They replaced my 2001 frame in 2011 when I had 155K on it.....they did a fantastic job.  Couldn't be happier....still running strong at 240K....

shoot-straight

Called "customer service" line to see if Toyota would step up. They told me to pound sand. Again, I hope there is another class action suit.

River19
5 hours ago, shoot-straight said:

Called "customer service" line to see if Toyota would step up. They told me to pound sand. Again, I hope there is another class action suit.

That seems to be the pattern.  They won't cover a model range and they will tell everyone to suck a lemon and then a year or two later suddenly things change and low and behold things start to get replaced.  Of course it isn't the best approach.

Then again my 2001 F-250's frame didn't look much better when I sold it.......lol but there was no relief for that.

Dogwood
7 hours ago, shoot-straight said:

Curious did you buy it new?