Sign in to follow this  
shoot-straight

Bighorn?

shoot-straight

Headed out to Big Timber Mt (Boulder and Stillwater Rivers) for a week, but will have a few days on the front end. Was thinking of trying the Bighorn. Never been. Mid- July is timeframe, and I hear thats prime- that said I looked at the flows from the last few years and  they are all over the place. We are waders, mostly. I have seen flows as low as 3000 (which would be great for wading) to over 12000 which isnt good for anything. I hear its just sheer mayhem with people too. Of course its supposed to be a darn good fishery. 

Any comments/thoughts would be welcome. 

Alternative is to head over toward Bozeman- lots of fishing options there. Done most of them though, except the Gallatin. 

406dn

It really depends on the flows, which depend on the snowpack. So far we are getting plenty of snow.

Keith E. Carlson

Two days on the Big Horn-  I would hire a guided drift boat for the first day at least.

Cost you $450- $500 plus tip and worth every penny.

Chukarman

A good contact fo r Bighorn trip is John Sindland, Fort Smith, MT

D. Case

I fished the Big Horn in 1981 just after it opened to the public,  a great day but a total zoo. There is a guy in our Trout Unlimited chapter who does a DIY trip there every year, I'll ask about flies and ideas this week at the meeting.

Okhotnik

That is some gorgeous country by Big Timber and the crazy mountains

I fish the Big horn , yellowstone, and Boulder every year. By July weeds in the water on the Big Horn can be a problem. I float from the dam on down. The fish are very pressured there so think small. I use 18-20 lightning bugs, serendipity,  midge patterns, small san juan worms, scud patterns  14-16, , comparaduns, beatis emergers. I 'll throw hoppers against the bank and throw big streamers for browns in the deep pools in the evening using sink tips. 

I usually rent a drift boat if not feel like driving mine out there. Pretty easy non technical float.

Or as suggested just get a guide. These guys are decent

http://bighornangler.com/tag/bighorn-river-fly-patterns/

Pretty much every river in Montana is hammered now in summer. There are smaller fisheries that dont get as much pressure but a lot of driving

shoot-straight

thanks for the info guys.