FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Fur and Feathers

Drahthaar Pics Please

Fur and Feathers

I have a deposit in for a male in a DD litter that I will pick up next month.  I know the coats and appearances of these pups will change quite a bit. I was hoping some DD owners could post some pics of their dogs as pups and as adults. Obviously all dogs are different, but I am hoping this will give me a little bit of an idea of what the adult coat might look like. 

Speedgoat44

No pics but they like to talk DDs on the Versatile dog forum.  Which kennel?

TimJ

My GWP is only 3/4 DD so maybe these photo won't help much. 

If a pup looks like this at 7 weeks it's probably going to be a slick.

YfBPhpZ.jpg

In my limited experience looking at litters and seeing them later on here's a couple tips I'd give on coats.

Fringed ears are the best indication for good furnishings. No fringing at all probably means a slick. At least a slick head.

A fluffy head and ears doesn't always mean a fluffy body.

If they show much length of coat in the body at 7 or 8 weeks they will likely have a longer coat. 

The parents are a general guideline but the coat can still vary a lot in a litter. You wouldn't hardly recognize some of my dogs siblings as being related to him.

I think this was at about 4 weeks.

GJeaWh2.jpg

My pup is the farthest to the left. The hairier dog in this next photo is the second from the right of the front 6.

VTp4aid.jpg

Not sure if any of this helps much.

Good luck with your pup.

Tim

homelessadam

My pup born 10/1/17 looked like a gsp puppy at 7 weeks and now he is starting to show a little beard. Both parents have pretty nice beards and tight coats. Really curious how he's going to end up. 

Fur and Feathers
2 hours ago, Speedgoat44 said:

No pics but they like to talk DDs on the Versatile dog forum.  Which kennel?

Pm sent

Speedgoat44
9 hours ago, TimJ said:

My GWP is only 3/4 DD so maybe these photo won't help much. 

If a pup looks like this at 7 weeks it's probably going to be a slick.

YfBPhpZ.jpg

In my limited experience looking at litters and seeing them later on here's a couple tips I'd give on coats.

Fringed ears are the best indication for good furnishings. No fringing at all probably means a slick. At least a slick head.

A fluffy head and ears doesn't always mean a fluffy body.

If they show much length of coat in the body at 7 or 8 weeks they will likely have a longer coat. 

The parents are a general guideline but the coat can still vary a lot in a litter. You wouldn't hardly recognize some of my dogs siblings as being related to him.

I think this was at about 4 weeks.

GJeaWh2.jpg

My pup is the farthest to the left. The hairier dog in this next photo is the second from the right of the front 6.

VTp4aid.jpg

Not sure if any of this helps much.

Good luck with your pup.

Tim

So interesting to see the contrast in coats from the two littermates.  I wonder what percentage of dogs are slicks in a given litter?  Both are cool-lookin' dogs!

browndrake

I have several pic of my first DD here: http://www.uglydogblog.com/blog/  (mostly pup, first 6-8 months)

robp

heres a photo of my drat at 8 week the day I picked her up and at 3years

IMG_0120.JPG

IMG_1867.jpg

TimJ
9 hours ago, Speedgoat44 said:

So interesting to see the contrast in coats from the two littermates.  I wonder what percentage of dogs are slicks in a given litter?  Both are cool-lookin' dogs!

It takes both parents carrying the slick gene to make it happen. And then for them to not get enough furnishing genes takes even more "luck". My male and a female were slick in this litter. Some breedings can produce up to 25% and many others none. 

There are some fairly slick coated dogs that have good furnishing genes that make great hard dense coats. It's a balancing act to get proper wire coat. Many DDs do seem to have better coats right now than GWPs.

Tim

Treerooster

I have a GWP with some DD in his background, Cutt is about 9 months now. Got a pretty good coat.

Here is a pic I took today. He is with my PP Tag. Has a little bit of eyebrow but not much. Cutt has been hunting quite a bit and all my GWP's, Griffon, and the PP wear their eyebrows down a bit busting through the cover, but I'm not sure the brows will get much bigger. Cutt's coat lays flat to the body and doesn't pick up any burrs except his beard, his hair is about 2' to 2 1/2" long on his back.

The sun was just going down so his beard looks a little lighter in the pic than it really is. The beard is a light brown tho, probably from all those cigarettes he's been smoking...and at such a young age too.

Cutt & Tag 1-18.JPG

Treerooster

Cutt's belly. He was a little miffed that I woke him up.

Cutt belly at 9 months 1-18.JPG

Treerooster

Cutt at about 7 months with a couple of grouse.

Cuut with grouse 11-17.JPG

Treerooster

Here is Cutt at 7 weeks.

Cutt at 7 weeks 6-17.jpg

Scrappy

My Scrappy is a GWP, but her mom was a full DD.  She looked like she was going to be a slick, with only a few stray hairs on her muzzle, but she ended up with a pretty nice beard.  Her body coat is actually more dense than it looks in the photos.  Here she is at eight weeks:

IMG_0397

Here she is at fourteen weeks:

IMG_0486

And here she is at two and half years:

IMG_1824

robp

wow, both Scappy and Cutt are great looking dogs