• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
Sign in to follow this  
Remo

APR in Montana

Remo

https://www.americanprairie.org/  Anybody know about this organization?  Do they allow hunting? Seems like a bold plan to connect blocks of public land.

Dick Sellers

I've been to a couple of their public meetings where they explain their objectives and of course solicit support - which is a hard sell to most of the local farming/ranching community.  They do allow some public hunting, but under their rules - which ban the killing of most predators.  I personally don't have strong feelings about their mission, one way or the other; but I have objections to their contentions that they are setting population objectives ("we want X number of elk, and Z number of antelope) on APR lands.  I have pointed out at public meetings that those objectives are clearly the prerogative of Montana Fish Wildlife and Parks thru  the Commission. They are now buying ranches even south of Fort Peck Lake, when their original plan seemed to emphasize a consolidated project north of the lake. 

With huge and growing land holding by the likes of the Wilks brothers, Ted Turner,  APR, etc. the future for family farms and public hunting/fishing isn't particularly bright.

Remo

I'll have to check this out a little more. I see they allow access by bicycle. Wait 'til Bobman reads that. 

Around the county where I live pretty much any piece of habitat up for sale goes to private hunting for individuals or groups.

Randy S

About 8 years ago there was a suspicion among landowners north of Charles M. Russel that the government was trying to promote a free ranging, migrating buffalo heard between the reservoir and the Saskatchewan Grasslands National Park. The idea was that the herd would summer in Canada and migrate to Charles M. Russel to winter. The ranchers I knew feared loosing grazing rights to state and BLM land and also who was going to pay for the fencing. Ranchers started a "Don't Buffalo Me" campaign. This project looks similar to what the ranchers had ascribed to the Feds. 

As long as they promote public and hunting access, they can't be all bad. The no kill predators or antelope seems a little fuzzy for a biologist recommendation. 

Chukarman

I habe hunted on American Prairie Reserve ground near Sun Prairie, MT. Really great - tepee rings, antelope, rattlesnakes... a real 'prairie experience'. This land was in Montana's Block Management Program (the best deal in bird hunting).