2018 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION HAS LAUNCHED Read more... ×
salmontogue

Seldom seen firearms

salmontogue

The Nylon 66 discussion got me thinking about guns we don't see very often.  It might be fun to get to the back of the safe/s and share in this discussion.

I will start this off with a Remington 11-87 Premier Upland Special.  It has the enhanced engraving and sports a 23" VR Remchoke barrel and an English straight grip stock.  I asked Remington how many of these were made and their answer was "very few".  I kept several of these from my now sold gun business.

Perk

IMG_5692.JPG

IMG_5693.JPG

salmontogue

Another photo

IMG_5691.JPG

Brad Eden

I had an original 20 gauge 1100 Special Field. I didn't know there was a Remington called Upland Special, thought that was only the 24" barrel Browning Citori O/U which I own. Still learning on UJ. I sold the Special Field a few years back to a UJer.

I have a weird bolt action 16 gauge slug shotgun that is left over from a friends inherited collection, that I liquidated for him. Can't remember maker. I'll look later.

lee sykes

I saw a very strange shotgun once.  It looked like a mossberg bolt action but the bolt had no handle but had a thin, steel strap that was attached to a plastic slide on the outside of the forestock so it worked like a pump. A freak show.

caleb
54 minutes ago, salmontogue said:

IMG_5693.JPG

Is there a significance to the dots on the trigger guard, and the arrow on the safety button?

lee sykes
4 minutes ago, caleb said:

Is there a significance to the dots on the trigger guard, and the arrow on the safety button?

reversible safety? 

shorebird

Trigger /safety lock

salmontogue
13 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

I had an original 20 gauge 1100 Special Field. I didn't know there was a Remington called Upland Special, thought that was only the 24" barrel Browning Citori O/U which I own. Still learning on UJ. I sold the Special Field a few years back to a UJer.

I have a weird bolt action 16 gauge slug shotgun that is left over from a friends inherited collection, that I liquidated for him. Can't remember maker. I'll look later.

The "Special Field" designation was used with 1100 and 870 guns.  Most were 21" barrels but there were also 25" and 23".  The chamber was 2-3/4".  The 11-87 adopted the Upland Special designation and has a 3" chamber.  Very nice guns.

Perk

salmontogue
4 minutes ago, shorebird said:

Trigger /safety lock

Correct.  If the white dot shows, the trigger is locked.  If the red dot shows the trigger is unlocked.  There is a J-shaped tool included to engage and disengage the lock.  Otherwise, the safety works as on other Remington shotguns.

Perk

caleb

Huh, I've never seen that before.  Any danger of it slipping from "unlocked" to "locked" out in the field, so that you notice it right when a bird flushes?

Marc Ret

I posted this in the waterfowling shotgun thread as well. It's a Remington 1894 BE Grade 10ga with 32" barrels. If I remember my Semmer correctly (can't seem to locate my Semmer book at the moment), BE and higher 10ga 1894s were very limited in production. Another unique feature is the Etoile 3 B.P. Damascus barrels that were typically only found on C Grade and higher guns. The gun is a later production (1906 as I recall) 1894.  My belief is that they were using up inventory as they wound down production and just fit these to my BE as they were already in inventory. 

image.thumb.jpeg.48b86b446f047b4c1ea53017f1a3dcd8.jpeg

Sage Hen

I bought one of my sons one of 870 Special Field 12 gauge guns with the 25 inch barrel years ago. I've never shot it but he still shoots it quite well. 

Lbloch83

I have my grandpas model 64 Winchester in a 30-30 caliber. I think it was made in 1939. They’re not that uncommon I guess, they can be found on gun broker fairly easy still. I don’t know anyone else that owns one and I don’t think I’ve ever come across anyone else that uses one. Now if I had one in the 219 zipper caliber that would truly be a seldom seen for sure

Tim Frazier

1938 Pre-war Ithaca 37 20ga, first year of production for the 20ga, 10,xxx.

37.thumb.jpg.ef068c91d2940ddc3751f75d26df5132.jpgimage(66).thumb.jpg.593b655e77f53f4f1be723e318039e04.jpg

Huntschool

Here is one, perhaps not that unusual but getting harder and harder to find if you are looking.....

Remingtom Model 11 20 ga.  This gun was my Dads and I seem to remember when I searched the SN it was made around 1930 or so.  Any way here it is somewhat stripped for restoration.....

JVUR0Mh.jpg