salmontogue

Seldom seen firearms

Tim Frazier

1931 Remington 17B 20ga.

jangrouse1.jpg.96e4d1700ecf6af05b972537f5c24627.jpg

tut

Had a Browning 16 gauge upland special for about 2 years and stupidly sold it.  This was pre internet and I had no idea how rare that gun was.   Sold it to a Pa Crow hunter behind a gas station.  Also still have a Browning Low Wall in .260 Remington which I believe they made 200 of in that caliber.  That's a butt kicking little single shot.  

U.P. Grouse Hunter
6 minutes ago, Tim Frazier said:

1931 Remington 17B 20ga.

jangrouse1.jpg.96e4d1700ecf6af05b972537f5c24627.jpg

I have a 12 ga model 31. Best pump guns ever made!!!

mister grouse

I have an 870 special field.   it is a 3 inch gun.  Im not sure the are very rare.  Matte barrel Non glare stock finish.  Got it new in the 80s and have shot it for turkeys exclusively. 

BlacknTan

Always had a soft spot for the 1100, and all it's derivatives, the old Model 31's also..

I looked through my safe. I don't know how rare this is but it a Kimber Super America .22. It was my frog gun for a few years,,, before the beavers dammed up the pond, at which point it could have become a beaver gun, but I had no taste for it...

Anyway, one needs to shoot lot's of frogs for a meal, but, the good new is .. they really do taste like chicken!

qB34BbH.jpg

Sage Hen

Probably not rare but rarely see in the field. I take my grandfathers model 1897 Winchester 12 gauge out for a sage grouse hunt every season. 

Tim Frazier

Winchester 1897s rock!  My Great-grandfathers 1919 1897 

12191478_918581211531058_185792361144048321_n.jpg

Starsky
26 minutes ago, BlacknTan said:

Always had a soft spot for the 1100, and all it's derivatives, the old Model 31's also..

I looked through my safe. I don't know how rare this is but it a Kimber Super America .22. It was my frog gun for a few years,,, before the beavers dammed up the pond, at which point it could have become a beaver gun, but I had no taste for it...

Anyway, one needs to shoot lot's of frogs for a meal, but, the good new is .. they really do taste like chicken!

qB34BbH.jpg

Is your Kimber a New York gun or an Oregon gun?  I have an early (serial number just over 100) Oregon Super America and have never seen one without an ebony foreend tip.  Nice .22!

Marc Ret

Another low production gun- Smith & Wesson 396NG. Scandium alloy L-frame 5 shot .44 Special. At 24oz unloaded, it was a nice carry gun for the woods. Sold it a year or so ago in a moment of stupidity. 

image.jpeg

kgb

I bought an 1100 LT-20 a while back that has enhanced engraving, got little information from Remington about it except they were randomly produced. Could not find anything in catalogs of back in the day on them either. I gave it to the son of a friend along with a 21" Special field barrel. The kid didn't really like the shorter barrel so I swapped it for a 3" Magnum barrel which cycles most of the time with Skeet loads. I always liked the basic 1100 engraving, the enhanced version is a nice variation. 

The Winchester Model 64 would be my choice if I were to go to a rifle round for Cowboy Silhouette, in 32 Special if I were to do it. One of the guys at my club finally shot his to the point it is no longer accurate--he shot it a lot!!

Brad Eden
2 hours ago, caleb said:

Huh, I've never seen that before.  Any danger of it slipping from "unlocked" to "locked" out in the field, so that you notice it right when a bird flushes?

My camo-synthetic wild turkey dedicated 20 gauge 870 has the same trigger lock/safety. Once it's set to unlock, it's solid. As a matter of fact I can't even recollect where that tool might be.

tut
19 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

My camo-synthetic wild turkey dedicated 20 gauge 870 has the same trigger lock/safety. Once it's set to unlock, it's solid. As a matter of fact I can't even recollect where that tool might be.

I had that same exact gun and it is one of the few guns I had that I really hated moving further down the road.  Was the bees knees with old Remington Hevi-shot.  Smoked many a turkey with it.   Then I got into the real boomers (3.5" monster 12 gauge) and then came back to a 20 gauge Benelli with Federal Heavyweight, which is all I carry except the occasional classic sxs these days. 

salmontogue
4 hours ago, lee sykes said:

I saw a very strange shotgun once.  It looked like a mossberg bolt action but the bolt had no handle but had a thin, steel strap that was attached to a plastic slide on the outside of the forestock so it worked like a pump. A freak show.

It was a Mossberg and made during the fifties into the sixties.

Perk

Brad Eden
20 minutes ago, tut said:

I had that same exact gun and it is one of the few guns I had that I really hated moving further down the road.  Was the bees knees with old Remington Hevi-shot.  Smoked many a turkey with it.   Then I got into the real boomers (3.5" monster 12 gauge) and then came back to a 20 gauge Benelli with Federal Heavyweight, which is all I carry except the occasional classic sxs these days. 

rem870.jpg

As you probably know, this particular model was marketed and sold by Remington as a HeviShot dedicated turkey shotgun and came with a HeviShot choke, and fiber optic open sights. They only sold it for one year I think, so I guess it applies to this Topic. I started with the original weird shaped HeviShot and then used the various configurations as they changed over the years. I now use the HeviShot Magnum Blend load (mixture of 3 sizes of shot). This light 'run and gun' 20 gauge and all the HeviShot loads, all shoot as long and as hard as my other 12 gauge 870 with a turkey choke and 3" magnum lead turkey loads. But I digress...

IMG_0294.JPG

Marc Ret
23 minutes ago, tut said:

Tut, in case you're not aware, Federal is discontinuing the current line of Heavyweight turkey loads. Replacing with several new loadings including some with TSS. 

Federal Turkey Loads