REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Fire Marshal Bill

Alpha 100 Mini VS Sportdog TEK 2.0

Fire Marshal Bill

Has anyone done a comparison between the two units? Looking at both units and they look pretty much the same. Right now Sportdog is offering a $ 100 off their TEK 2.0. Any reviews out there? BTW, not looking to start any fights just looking for comparison between the two units. 

Brookieslayer

I have used both, both have merit, however as a Canadian the Garmin won't work here so.... I bought the Tek 2.0.

It is a really great unit, works well, is easy to move around the menus and tracks very well. Just my .02

terrym

I'm a Canadian also and my Astro 320 works as long as I don't upgrade the firmware. 

If I had to start over I would buy the Tek. 

MDash2

I have used both the SD Tek 2 and the Garmin Alpha with mini collar. It really comes down to personal preference as they are both good products. A comparison would be very subjective but I'm happy to answer any specific questions. You might want to search for previous threads which review each product and the Gun Dog Supply website also provides in-depth insights into the functions and features. 

Bird Buster

MDASH2 Which system are you currently using? I am not crazy about Alpha touchscreen and some controls. Do you like the scroll knob and toggle set up of the Sportdog? Does the point alarms work well on Sportdog? 

Fire Marshal Bill

MDash2, the comparison I've done seems to say that the 2 units perform basically the same, with the edge going to the Alpha system because there maps apparently show more detail than does the TEK 2.0. Other than that they both Have the same functionality. What I don't know is how easy-to-use one is over the other. I'm Not a tech Savvy guy, so ease of operation is important. Another important factor is customer service. That is why I asked for help in evaluating the 2 units. One other thing, I only run one dog. 

MDash2

13 hours ago, Bird Buster said:

MDASH2 Which system are you currently using? I am not crazy about Alpha touchscreen and some controls. Do you like the scroll knob and toggle set up of the Sportdog? Does the point alarms work well on Sportdog? 

Which system are you currently using?

This past season I transitioned to the Alpha with a Mini collar (and the Fenix 3 watch). Prior to the Alpha I had been using the SD Tek 2.0 for several years and before that I used the SD Tek 1.0. All three units have pros/cons in terms of the handheld UI/features/functions as well as slightly different style/size collars. IMO it really comes down to personal preferences.

Do you like the scroll knob and toggle set up of the Sportdog?

I have not had any major issues adjusting to the Alpha touchscreen - in general I like it. With that said the SD Tek 2 scroll knob was quicker and easier to toggle between screens and zoom in/out on the map screen especially when using one hand. I would add the three stim buttons on the side of the SD handheld is better for me than the Alpha stim buttons layout.

Does the point alarms work well on Sportdog? 

I think the update rate settings are similar (might be the same) for the Tek 2 and Alpha. In my unofficial testing the point alarm on the Tek 2 was slightly faster than the Alpha. As I recall the results were something like 3-4 seconds on the Tek and 4-5 seconds on the Alpha. Not a big deal either way for me. The standard alarm options are the same except SD has a voice option and the Alpha can be paired with the Garmin watch.

6 hours ago, Fire Marshal Bill said:

MDash2, the comparison I've done seems to say that the 2 units perform basically the same, with the edge going to the Alpha system because there maps apparently show more detail than does the TEK 2.0. Other than that they both Have the same functionality. What I don't know is how easy-to-use one is over the other. I'm Not a tech Savvy guy, so ease of operation is important. Another important factor is customer service. That is why I asked for help in evaluating the 2 units. One other thing, I only run one dog. 

The comparison I've done seems to say that the 2 units perform basically the same, with the edge going to the Alpha system because there maps apparently show more detail than does the TEK 2.0. Other than that they both Have the same functionality.

In general I would agree the track and train functions are about the same. The biggest differences are the UI and additional features/flexibility with the Alpha. Both systems come with topo maps and based on my observations - limited to the areas I hunt so might be different elsewhere - the Tek 2 and Alpha basic topo maps are very similar in terms of level of detail. If you want (or need) more detailed mapping the Alpha is the clear answer as you can upload additional maps (fees apply after the first year) via the computer. 

Another important factor is customer service.

I don’t have any insight. Thankfully I have not had any issues.

One other thing, I only run one dog. 

Straight forward for either unit.

What I don't know is how easy-to-use one is over the other. I'm Not a tech Savvy guy, so ease of operation is important.

A very difficult question to answer for another person. I’m fairly comfortable with using technology so not the best person to make a suggestion or recommendation to someone who is not. Both units are fairly user friendly. If you are more comfortable using a touchscreen – similar to any smartphone or tablet - the Alpha might be the better UI option. If that doesn’t matter the $100 SD discount would be appealing.  

Fire Marshal Bill

MDash2;  Thank you, your reply was just the kind of information I was looking for. First hand user experience. Thank you for your input. 

61bhs

I purchased a mini tt15 last fall and it failed the last week in January.  I called teck support but they were unable to correct the problem.  They asked me to send in the module without the collar and antenna.  In less than two weeks I had received a new collar with all the accessories!

gunsrus
37 minutes ago, 61bhs said:

I purchased a mini tt15 last fall and it failed the last week in January.  I called teck support but they were unable to correct the problem.  They asked me to send in the module without the collar and antenna.  In less than two weeks I had received a new collar with all the accessories!

Bingo , Garmin is the best .