2018 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION HAS LAUNCHED Read more... ×
quailguy

USA Drought Map

quailguy

It's early days yet, but the Climate Prediction Center is normally very accurate. This is forecasting worsening drought conditions in TX, AZ, NM, western KS and more. Not good.

My hunting partner outside of San Antonio sez he has had about 1 inch of rain during the last 2 months. My bro west of Austin sez he has had less than that.

My hunting partner pokes around west of San Antonio for quail and he is getting pretty gloomy: he's found no quail in the last 2 weeks.

No rain until May in Texas will be really bad for the first nesting time for bobs. Hopefully the second time around will be better.

season_drought.png

bntsetter

If the map is accurate then the prairies should have good nesting success.  Glass half full I guess.

Bill Calton

Lubbock is at 2nd longest period in the records without measurable precip - about 100 days.  Our stretch here west of Lubbock is about 10 days longer.  We have a chance next week for about a tenth.

Kansas Big Dog

It has been extremely dry here in NE KS. We have not had a good rain since last May. 

vabirddog

While we were severely in drought last fall it has moderated since Christmas and I think busted this weekend. Water everywhere, still raining some and schools on delay for flooded roads. 

bmeador
On 2/12/2018 at 10:18 AM, vabirddog said:

While we were severely in drought last fall it has moderated since Christmas and I think busted this weekend. Water everywhere, still raining some and schools on delay for flooded roads. 

My part of VA is certainly not in a drought. Don't know where this data came from. .

browndrake

it is very accurate for where I live.  However, we have received 1 1/2" of water in the since Monday....more than we have received since august....

Don Steese

Things are horrible here in Arizona. One rancher told me it's been the driest winter he can remember and he's 70!

quailguy

Updated Texas drought map; not looking good.

drought-map.jpg  

martyg

SW CO is bracing for a big fire season. A neighbor our ours is an authority on the West and water. He was at a symposium and NM and SW CO are experiencing the driest winter on record - and apparently the records go back to 1880.

We have 1.5 mile of private tail water. Most of the trout are 12" - 24" with a few pushing 10 pounds. Normal summer flows are 120 cfs. We're at 2 now, and projections are for that to be the norm through the summer. We're anticipating a major fish kill.

dogrunner
15 hours ago, quailguy said:

drought-map.jpg  

Depends on where your looking, east looks fine. 

quailguy
17 hours ago, martyg said:

We have 1.5 mile of private tail water. Most of the trout are 12" - 24" with a few pushing 10 pounds. Normal summer flows are 120 cfs. We're at 2 now, and projections are for that to be the norm through the summer. We're anticipating a major fish kill.

UUuuhhhh. Very bad indeed.

Although I have fished a small PA class A trout stream that was about that flow level and it had a good number of brookies 4-10 inches. The stream kinda went down a small mountain from one hole the size of a kitchen sink to one the size of a bathtub & etc.

But, I can't see a buncha big rainbows making it through on that amount of water.

Best of luck!

charlo slim
5 hours ago, dogrunner said:
21 hours ago, quailguy said:

drought-map.jpg  

Depends on where your looking, east looks fine. 

Much the same situation in OK.  We are currently getting a little precip here in SW, maybe a couple tenths it is looking like. Might provide a tiny nudge from extreme drought toward merely severe drought -- but we will take it. 

aaaok drought  4 21 18.jpg

Don Steese
11 hours ago, quailguy said:

UUuuhhhh. Very bad indeed.

Although I have fished a small PA class A trout stream that was about that flow level and it had a good number of brookies 4-10 inches. The stream kinda went down a small mountain from one hole the size of a kitchen sink to one the size of a bathtub & etc.

But, I can't see a buncha big rainbows making it through on that amount of water.

Best of luck!

Got any GPS coordinates on that brookie stream??  I'm still in Arizona and this has been the driest winter any of the locals has seen in their lifetimes. We're up in the mountains now. 38 here tonight.