FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
tut

Test drive Friday and Mazda and Hyundai thoughts?

tut
1 hour ago, snapt said:

CX-5 Comes in a turbo diesel later this year. Try the HRV? curious how those are for a commuter with AWD. My Element is having the airbags done tomorrow so I'm hoping to snag one for the day.

Took the HRV for a spin.  Nice size, but totally gutless in the power department and noisy to boot.  Interior seems just cheap compared to the CRV and seats were nothing special to sit in.    I think it would be a great vehicle for someone who wanted a short distance commuting vehicle in a snowy area where the snow wasn't deep.  It does get high marks for having a lot of space in a small package including a lot of storage space.  FWIW, my daughter is considering one for a daily commuter to work.  Great MPG figures .   

Bullwinkle

I'm on my third CR-V.. Would have went HR-V this time but for the lack of power. If they would use the turbo from the CR-V I would be first in line.

blanked

I find Mazda the least reliable of Japanese brand

Bede
On 1/30/2018 at 6:04 PM, tut said:

Just got back from test driving a Mazda MX 5.  I was impressed as the wife.  We found a defunct Gander Mountain parking lot and had a bit of fun.  Really nice for the driver and passenger.  Heads up display was pretty cool.  Plenty of pick up.  Back seat a tad cramped and the back (behind the seats) was a tad tight as compared to the others.  That said, for driving and such it was pretty awesome.  Its on the short list.  187 HP and they had it geared right.  

This is the Mazda way. Not a ton of power but the powerband is ideal for everyday driving but also having some fun. The whole philosophy is geared toward the driving experience. They are the anti-Honda in this sense. In recent Mazda's, like the current CX5, the refinement and reduced cabin noise has caught up with the driving experience. If it had the rough road chops and people space of the Forester, I'd be driving the Mazda. The interior is nicer in the Mazda, but doesn't maximize space the same way the Subaru does.

tut
On 2/3/2018 at 8:54 PM, blanked said:

Get into a Suzuki sometime if you want to see unreliable.  :)  I tend to really value Consumer Reports when it comes to picking vehicles.  If all things are equal and they endorse it, then it moves to the front of the line.  

tut
1 minute ago, Bede said:

This is the Mazda way. Not a ton of power but the powerband is ideal for everyday driving but also having some fun. The whole philosophy is geared toward the driving experience. They are the anti-Honda in this sense. In recent Mazda's, like the current CX5, the refinement and reduced cabin noise has caught up with the driving experience. If it had the rough road chops and people space of the Forester, I'd be driving the Mazda. The interior is nicer in the Mazda, but doesn't maximize space the same way the Subaru does.

We took a leftover new 2016.5 model CX-5 out for a test drive last Saturday because they really wanted to move that car and had discounted it heavily.  It was much noisier then the 2018 model.  From doing my internet research, they had added a ton of sound deadning material to the newer CX-5 and it paid off big time.  

walt lister
On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 6:54 PM, blanked said:

No experience with newer Mazdas but the three I've had in the past were dead reliable. All were rotary engine (RX4 and two RX7s) and at 150Kmi the last one was running like  top when I sold it.

MNice
On 1/30/2018 at 6:22 PM, tut said:

Took the HRV for a spin.  Nice size, but totally gutless in the power department and noisy to boot.  Interior seems just cheap compared to the CRV and seats were nothing special to sit in.    I think it would be a great vehicle for someone who wanted a short distance commuting vehicle in a snowy area where the snow wasn't deep.  It does get high marks for having a lot of space in a small package including a lot of storage space.  FWIW, my daughter is considering one for a daily commuter to work.  Great MPG figures .   

I couldn't agree more with your assessment of the HRV, especially the seats. Can't wait for the lease to end on my wife's HRV! 

topdog1961

Buy a slightly used Hyundai. You can't go wrong. I've drive 125 miles round trip commite each day and the last Hundai I had I let go still running good at 270k. The current one has 190 and is just getting broken in. My nephews soon to be daughter in law was looking for a small SUV and was looking do drop around 35k on a new Toyota or Honda something. Luckily he talked some sense into her and found her a 2015 Hyundai with 30k miles on coming out of a rental fleet. Practically like new for $15k. She loves it. 

tut

Mazda CX-5 2018 is in the stable.  The dealer I went with was the lowest price in the area by far and they had a 1K rebate as well.  The most important thing is the wife loves it.  It might be one of the finest driving vehicles I've ever driven.  Very quiet indeed.  I really like the heads up display for driving.  You can see lots of things including your blind spots, speed, cruise control settings, speed limits and even traffic signs on the display.  Amazingly safe for the driver to have all that info right there for one to see. 

Bede

Enjoy it. They are sweet. Cargo space is the only reason I can see that anyone would buy a CRV over the new CX-5. The Mazda is so much more enjoyable to drive. It looks better, the interior is nicer, sleeker and more modern looking. Have fun. 

Greg Hartman
On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 8:39 PM, tut said:

Mazda CX-5 2018 is in the stable.  The dealer I went with was the lowest price in the area by far and they had a 1K rebate as well.  The most important thing is the wife loves it.  It might be one of the finest driving vehicles I've ever driven.  Very quiet indeed.  I really like the heads up display for driving.  You can see lots of things including your blind spots, speed, cruise control settings, speed limits and even traffic signs on the display.  Amazingly safe for the driver to have all that info right there for one to see. 

Cool!  As I said before Consumer Reports likes them and I give a lot of credibility to CR because they don't accept ads.  

tut
5 hours ago, Greg Hartman said:

Cool!  As I said before Consumer Reports likes them and I give a lot of credibility to CR because they don't accept ads.  

They have them on their recommended list for the past 3 years.  PS.  Don't see the dogs jumping off over the seats in this one.  They are 4Runner dogs anyway.  

dudley.JPG