gunsrus

10 ply tires

gunsrus

On my dedicated "grousemobile" , a '99 Tahoe 2 door , I put Firestone Transforce AT2 10 ply . they have extreme tread depth showing and so far I like them for riding the logging roads of Maine . My 2015 Tahoe needs tires and existing OEM are Continental . Even when these tires were new the tread depth was minimal . I hope I'm explaining this right . On occasion the 2015 Tahoe will be used on these logging roads and although the Continentals ride exceptionally well , I am looking for a 10 ply tire with tread depth that will still ride as smooth as the Continentals . Does such a tire even exist ? I have no idea .

Thanks ,

Al 

Chukarman

Just about any Light Truck AT type tire will be better than factory SUV tires. I like Bridgestone, Toyo and Goodrich ATs  - of course you could go to MT type LT tires, but they are not going to be 'quiet' on the highway. 

Brad Eden

I've gone through a lot of tires and I run my trucks on a lot of gravel and unimproved dirt roads, going 200k give or take. I've had real sucky ones. My current tires are the best I've had by far as far as decent price, aggressive but pavement worthy tread, wear, etc., and I would recommend them. General Grabber AT2's. 10 ply. These will be the tires I will use from now on.

greg jacobs

Those generals look a lot like my Goodrich KO2's I have them on both trucks. Good in the snow pretty quiet.

Curt

Al,

My current choice in 10 ply (E rated) LT tires is the Michelin Defender LTX.  I'm running them on my F-350 and have been very happy with them since I bought them six months ago.

Ran good in the snow and not noisy on the highway.  Tread depth is greater than my previous Michelin "all terrain" type tire, traction better as well.  Give them a look, they may work for you.

polecat

I have set of Michelin defenders on rims for the summer and love them.Now I have on Cooper snows while they are a tough ten ply ,the traction is not to my liking. They also retain way too much small gravel.Yesterday we were hunting with a fellow who works at a Ford garage and has been using the Hankook Dynapros.I like the way they look.

NECarson

I'm assuming the Tahoe has 8 ply tires now. 

10 plys will never ride as smooth. 

Hettmoe

594343E1-388D-4531-B490-EFF71CE0D1D8.thumb.jpeg.ac4f693d57e7ae5be0e117526132b708.jpegMy neighbors and I have been pretty much sold on Hankook Dynapro ATM as the best for our gravel roads, for quite a few years now.

JWP58
15 hours ago, Hettmoe said:

594343E1-388D-4531-B490-EFF71CE0D1D8.thumb.jpeg.ac4f693d57e7ae5be0e117526132b708.jpegMy neighbors and I have been pretty much sold on Hankook Dynapro ATM as the best for our gravel roads, for quite a few years now.

Very pleased with mine after about 30k miles

Wet Dog

I put a set of Cooper Discover AT/3 on my GMC Sierra and Nissan xTerra.  Very pleased with how they handle the snow and mud and like the tread depth better than the OEM on both.

WhatsDaPoint

I have nitto exo grapplers on the Ram. 10 ply, E rated, 3 peak mountain snowflake rated. 

Tires have been outstanding in dry and snow. 

Next set will be the same. 

settem

I'm on my second set of Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx

Put 40K on the first set and could have gotten more, but I was heading West, and didn't want to worry about the dreaded gumbo. 

Hard to beat for the money.