FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
salmontogue

Returning to gas from Diesel

salmontogue
5 minutes ago, Curt said:

I'm pretty sure the extended warranty would cover the def system.  In my case I had a senior moment and screwed mine up myself so I ended up responsible for the cost of replacement.

Senior moments are common in this neighborhood.

Curt

Take it as a maintenance tip, don't accidentally pour 5 ounces of anti gel additive into your def tank, it's a no..no.

67diesel
1 hour ago, Curt said:

Take it as a maintenance tip, don't accidentally pour 5 ounces of anti gel additive into your def tank, it's a no..no.

Customers used to pour DEF into Ford 6.7s fuel tanks quite a bit.  It corrodes the fuel system for a ~$8,000 repair.  Insurance would pay for it if you did it once.  

i used to do engineerin’ on diesels but I don’t tow heavy enough loads to justify the upfront cost and $150 earl and secondary fuel filter changes.  I should ask Brad to change my nick to Clutch I guess.

Oh yeah I wouldn’t trust high % biodiesel either.  We had some head scratching problems with that stuff that took some lab work to figure out.

charlo slim
9 hours ago, salmontogue said:

I have driven Ram diesel pickups for over twenty years and have experienced great luck with them.  I am replacing a 3/4 ton and have discovered that all manufacturers are experiencing problems with DEF injection systems.

Just out of curiosity, have you looked into the cost of doing a serious re-hab on an earlier rendition, one that has served you well in the past?

charlo slim
9 hours ago, salmontogue said:

I have driven Ram diesel pickups for over twenty years and have experienced great luck with them.  I am replacing a 3/4 ton and have discovered that all manufacturers are experiencing problems with DEF injection systems.

Just out of curiosity, have you looked into the cost of doing a serious re-hab on an earlier rendition, one that has served you well in the past?

salmontogue
4 hours ago, charlo slim said:

I lost a Ram/Cummins 2500 about a year ago due to a fire that started in the heater box.  It had nearly 300k miles.  I have a Ram/Cummins 3500 SRW that I have owned since new but it has nearly 425k miles and is tired everywhere.  It's not worth a rehab because rust is beginning to be a problem everywhere.  Both trucks have been excellent and don't owe me anything.

I am reluctant on a new diesel based on widespread DEF problems and my distance from Dodge and Ford dealers.  Perhaps I am over-estimating the problems?

Perk

charlo slim

Ah sorry, Perk. I was not being clear (twice!!)   I was just idly speculating as to whether it might be worthwhile to find a  clean used rig of known reliable vintage, maybe a western or southern rig to nix the rust issue, then drop the cash to bring it up to snuff.  Most of the farm/ranch diesels we see out this way are pretty well hammered by the time they circulate on the market, but I do see lots of them towing fairly light recreational stuff short haul and seemingly being pretty well babied.   As for the issues on the new ones, I really have no clue -- wouldn't know DEF from DEAF. 9_9

Good luck in your decision.  

salmontogue
1 hour ago, charlo slim said:

Ah sorry, Perk. I was not being clear (twice!!)   I was just idly speculating as to whether it might be worthwhile to find a  clean used rig of known reliable vintage, maybe a western or southern rig to nix the rust issue, then drop the cash to bring it up to snuff.  Most of the farm/ranch diesels we see out this way are pretty well hammered by the time they circulate on the market, but I do see lots of them towing fairly light recreational stuff short haul and seemingly being pretty well babied.   As for the issues on the new ones, I really have no clue -- wouldn't know DEF from DEAF. 9_9

Good luck in your decision.  

Thanks for your reply and humor.

Perk

blanked

The ram gas engines are available for lifetime warranty. My 2016 ram 2500 with 6.4 max care warranty for life was $2200

you can purchase it anytime as long as your the original owner

salmontogue
45 minutes ago, blanked said:

The ram gas engines are available for lifetime warranty. My 2016 ram 2500 with 6.4 max care warranty for life was $2200

you can purchase it anytime as long as your the original owner

Great information.  Thank you.

Perk

Brookieslayer

I have had 2 F350 with the DEF systems. The 2015 I put 80,000 miles on with not a single issue, put DEF in about every 6,000. I now have a 2017 F350, same thing only have 18,000 miles on it so far, no issues even with this cold winter at -30, don't even know it is there. Uses less DEF than the 2015 too. The power is amazing compared to the 2015, and the ride is like a F150 compared to my '15.

salmontogue
37 minutes ago, Brookieslayer said:

I have had 2 F350 with the DEF systems. The 2015 I put 80,000 miles on with not a single issue, put DEF in about every 6,000. I now have a 2017 F350, same thing only have 18,000 miles on it so far, no issues even with this cold winter at -30, don't even know it is there. Uses less DEF than the 2015 too. The power is amazing compared to the 2015, and the ride is like a F150 compared to my '15.

Thank you for your thoughts.  This encourages me to re-consider.

Perk

Cooter Brown

I don't know squat about diesels other than the fact that they are a simple and reliable engine.

After a little research into DEF which I had never heard of before it seems that what was the most robust, reliable, longest lasting engine has been regulated into a much less desirable option.

I wonder if it ever occurred to these geniuses that if an engine lasts longer the resources and energy used in making a new vehicle are lessened?

NECarson
11 hours ago, Cooter Brown said:

I don't know squat about diesels other than the fact that they are a simple and reliable engine.

After a little research into DEF which I had never heard of before it seems that what was the most robust, reliable, longest lasting engine has been regulated into a much less desirable option.

I wonder if it ever occurred to these geniuses that if an engine lasts longer the resources and energy used in making a new vehicle are lessened?

A modern diesel is definitely not simple...

DEF is definitely a great idea in it's infancy. 

River19

Switched from Diesel to Gas 3 years ago, Ford F250 7.3L to Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi.  Couldn't be happier.  Never looked back.

Tows like a dream for what I have had behind it......5000-8500lbs.  Ram Longhorn is comfy as all heck.

Took the rig on a 3500 mile mountain bike road trip with 4 adults and 4 bikes on a beefy hitch mount rack (we were long as hell) and averaged 17.5 mpg for the 3500miles which was insane as it is usually pretty thirsty.

But....oil changes are cheap and gas is available everywhere and DEF is what I console my friends with Diesels over.  Buddy with a 2011 Ford 6.7 is on about his 5th DEF heater out of his pocket and 3rd radiator all within 150K.  Nope.  All set.

As Flush said.....if you don't need one, why get one.  And by needing one, I mean routinely towing 10K+ weekly etc.  or Towing at altitude.....as forced induction at altitude is a life saver.