• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
Sign in to follow this  
John

any interesting thought developed

mshowman
I have a bamboo rod. It hangs on the wall of my den, and someday I plan to use it. Meanwhile I'll just keep plugging with my fiberglas Garcia.  :upside:

Chris Raymond
There are snobs and reverse snobs in all walks of life and interests.  I can't imagine there is anything particularly special about fly fishing to make it any different than anything else.  

You do not have to imagine, just look out on the river and you will see.

Erik--Understood, but my ill-stated point was that people from both sides of the tracks try to define others by their own preconceptions and that in my opinion it's best to simply avoid the whole lot of them and it.  These people and this type of activity exist in many things and are not limited strictly to fly fishing.  It's all around us.

birddogtwo
I look pretty sloppy on the stream but still enjoy using good quality equipment  I must confess to covering up the orvis label on my vest with a fly patch.  I guess that makes me a closet reverse snob. No doubt my mothers fault  Fortunatly my best friend is a redneck fly fisher and keeps me more or less honest

Alan Briere

Having been raised in a family of non-consumptives and anti's and learning that hunting and fishing as a teen were looked down on, I finally in my thirties discovered my outdoor heart again. I suppose I qualify for many of the outdoor poseur awards previously posted.

First flyrod was a Walmart item presented as a gift by my wife when I expressed interest in getting into it again, I upgraded to a Cortland, waders still are; specific design is out of production. Current rod is a discontinued Sage I got on sale and a reel from the Orvis bargain basement. The only bamboo I own is a bunch of tomato stakes we use to keep the peone plants from breaking during full bloom and heavy rains.

I buy trout flies that are tied by someone else and  manufactured tapered leaders also. I don't load my own shells of any sort and even my guns are made by gun manufacturing companies.

I haven't shredded my first Filson chaps or shelter cloth strap vest, Orvis fishing vest or reached other plateaus that appear necessary to achieve status.

On the other hand, I have always known that quality saved and-paid-for is generally quality earned. It also pays you back with long wear.

My first canoe was an Old Town I paid $330 for. Took me six months to save up for it working at a shoe store when I was sixteen years old in anticipation of a trip to the Allagash River in Maine.

Whatever?

Alan

pizzabil

I'm in real trouble, 99% of  my fly fishing is warm water lake fishing. Guess I can be to much of a snob then. Panfish to northern pike depanding on the opportunity. I'd love to do some salt water flats fishing too. There is not alot of competition on the lakes. It is my form of relaxation doing the off season for hunting.

bill

Rex Hoppie
Alan,  Are you one of those snobs who buys factory shells at Walmart a box or two at a time?

Alan Briere
Alan,  Are you one of those snobs who buys factory shells at Walmart a box or two at a time?

They won't sell them one shell at a time, and they won't put a shell vending machine at the club I don't belong to.

Anyone want to buy all the green, yellow, red, black discarded shotshells I picked up last season. My $330 canoe got crushed under 16 feet of snow two years ago. I need to replace it. Going price is over $3 grand.

I wonder if the shoe store has any openings?

Oh, well.

Alan

springerguy

Fact is that we all judge and we all try not to.

That being said it’s my opinion:

Gear doesn't matter... guns.... fly rods... vests... whatever.

And skill level doesn’t matter either.  

What matters is...

Did you get your gear honest (bought and paid for… not credit and could you afford it)? Are you sincere about the sport and the experience?  Are you respectful of your prey, the environment, other sportsman, and land owners?  Do you obey the law and basic rules of safety?  Do you enjoy the sport?  Do you enjoy using gear that you have?  If you answer "yes" to all those questions you are OK by me.  

If you are new to the outdoors/sporting life, maybe you aren’t well versed in tradition and are lacking some knowledge, but if you answered "yes" to those questions you’ll gain knowledge and you’ll become a part of the tradition.  

If you have many years of living the outdoors/sporting life and you have knowledge and a sense of and place in the tradition; then you are duty bound to share it with new folks in a good natured way.  It’s how our sport(s) is/are perpetuated.  It is how we are all better for it.  It's how the tradition and the sport(s) is/are better for it.

Rex Hoppie
...... a shell vending machine ........

What a concept.  You thought of it first Alan.

pizzabil

Dam where did I put those quarters? I know they are here somewhere. Hey, can anyone lend me a couple of quarters? I'm out of shells again.

the way I shoot that vending machine had better have wheels on it.

bill

Alan Briere

That explains all the law suits. Never put a firing pin as the receptor/dispenser for a live shotshell in a vending machine!

Live and learn. Hire someone to refill the machine. At least I got that right, except for the insurance part.

I did have a thought though; a new hunting/fishing gear vending machine, but Gene Hill copyrighted the distressing concept. Screwed again!

Alan

Brad Adrian
When I used to do alot of steelheading, I looked like a Simms catalogue, which kind of bummed me out, because I looked like all of the Seattle yuppies. But, when the weather really sucked, that stuff was at its best. Fish all day in a driving northwest rain, come home dry. If that made me a snob, I can live with that.  Luckily, one of my buddies owned a fly shop, so there was a discount involved. I also fished mostly with Sage spey rods, which I believe are the best made. If I could have found equal rods for 30 bucks at Walmart, I would have fished them. In my defense, under all that fancy gear, there was usually an old wool shirt and a wad of Copenhagen. No single malts, but maybe a few busch lights :O

Brad Eden

I think what John was fishing for was whether "traditional" flyfisherman who build their own bamboo rods, tie their own flies, consider anything but dry flies as barbaric and scoop insects from beneath stream rocks to identify by their latin names. . .look down on those of us flailing away with fiberglass 8.5', six weight flyrods with sinking tip line in which a storebought montana nymph is attached in hopes of hooking a cement colored hatchery rainbow. . .

Yeah thats what I think he was looking for. ???  :cool:

steve bernadowicz
I wear what works for me.you'll have to decide if its snobby.waist high DU camo neoprenes.columbia camo parka,no liner.long undies and however much fleece is needed.fingerless gloves,sometimes ratty old wool,sometimes brand new orvis ones.have one custom 10 1/2' 5wt,others are gndr mtn house brand rods.reels vary from sth ($65)to a size 10-11 battenkill(@125).no net,no vest.just camo fanny pack and what fits in parka pockets.this is for steelhead on small to medium tribs.fished yesterday,25-35mph wind,fog in valley,mist to drizzle.climb over truck size foot thick cakes of ice to get to water that was brown and rolling.dodging ice,limbs.beautiful in a primeval way.stayed and casted for 3 hrs just because i had to.NOBODY else out.wimps. steve