• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
tomturkey2x2

? On shooting games

tomturkey2x2

I am 69 now , most of my friends have  either shooting, died, or moved  elsewhere.  I find myself with no one to shoot with. I love sporting clays, but no one to shoot with , on occasion I shoot. At. Course with  automated  traps that I can shoot by myself, but it is not as much fun as shooting with a friend. I have suggested to several younger  people!e that I would like to go with them, but never gotten a reply.  I do not make friends easily, I clam up around people I do not know, just can not talk.  Does any one else have this problem? What do you do?   I showed up at a couple of shoots thinking I would get paired on a team, that did not work! Any suggestions?

ccavacini

It does seem to me that the longer you frequent the same course, eventually you'll meet someone who will end up a shooting friend.

Greg Hartman

Join a local gun club, as opposed to going to some commercial range.  Go regularly and eventually you'll get to know the other regulars and make some very good friends.  Chances are most of them are much like you.

I, too, am not very social - tend to be a loner-type - but I've been going to the same little backwoods gun club on the next mountain over from mine for about 40 years now.  The guys there are like family.  I laugh and smile more in a Sunday morning at the Club than I do in the entire week combined.

Brad Eden

Maybe someone here will note your location and send you a Private Message. Lots of long term ( and I suppose short lived) friendships have been made on UJ over the years.

max2

This is what I would do .  You must remember I don't care what others think :D  I'm a single barrel guy on a double barrel web sight.  I start with hey guy's my name is Chris I'm new here and how do we play.  Like minded folks will smile and say hey welcome. In late summer when I go to my gun club to practice for up coming season I don't know anybody. When Oct would roll around and I am done I know  most on "my" range  of choice . Go to range and put yourself out there you will be surprised.  

studdog

A good club Manager or counter person should know the regular shooters.  Tell them you'd like to be hooked up with someone to shoot with.  There are lots of friendly people at all clubs who would love to take you around.

Crazy Horse

Greg's advice is exactly what I encounter. I shoot Skeet almost every Sunday morning, weather permitting. (5 Stand a couple times a month.) Our gun club has a kitchen and provides breakfast and coffee. No Booze ever!!!  After shooting we sit around and tell lies about how good a shot we are. A couple of the guys tell dirty jokes. We're always happy to see new faces to tell our tired old stories to. The only thing I avoid is the club politics. I go there to shoot.

BlacknTan
14 hours ago, tomturkey2x2 said:

I am 69 now , most of my friends have  either shooting, died, or moved  elsewhere.  I find myself with no one to shoot with. I love sporting clays, but no one to shoot with , on occasion I shoot. At. Course with  automated  traps that I can shoot by myself, but it is not as much fun as shooting with a friend. I have suggested to several younger  people!e that I would like to go with them, but never gotten a reply.  I do not make friends easily, I clam up around people I do not know, just can not talk.  Does any one else have this problem? What do you do?   I showed up at a couple of shoots thinking I would get paired on a team, that did not work! Any suggestions?

I'm the same age, and in the same position.

I shot with the same squad of guys for most of my days.  The vast majority of them are dead now. I could get on with another group... I get invited by the guys that run Sporting Clays all the time, but I hate to feel like I'm "hornin' in" on someone else's good time. I guess if I really wanted to, I could, but my days of avid clay targets are basically over. I don't want to throw that much time, energy or money at the game anymore.  But, anything is possible in the future.

Huntschool

Several good ideas above.  Go to a club and talk with the mgr or ops folks at the front desk.  Tell them you would like to shoot but want to go with someone. Tell them you are a bit "reserved."  Greg's comment about "joining" a local club is spot on.

At that point, and remember you are hearing this from a New Jersey "A" type personality who was vaccinated with a phonograph needle, and who has been a classroom/outdoor lab teacher for way too many years.....  You gotta jump in there.  Sporting clay's on a casual basis is a social event.   In Sporting, I guarantee you there is a lot of conversation and YOU need to join in.  I really don't care how old you are..... perhaps at 69 now is the time to step out of that box, break that bubble and talk to the folks who likely have similar interests......  Go get em buddy..... .

kgb
21 hours ago, ccavacini said:

It does seem to me that the longer you frequent the same course, eventually you'll meet someone who will end up a shooting friend.

My thought as well. Your desire to shoot will keep you going even if alone, as it does me when the situation requires, and eventually you will squad up with folks you'll feel comfortable opening up with. 

dogrunner

I shoot by myself all the time, did so today.   But all the different clubs I go to I think I could get people to shoot with me if I asked. When I shoot tournaments I signup and shoot with different people all the time, some are fun and interesting others not so much, but I still have fun. Like others have said hang around a certain club you like and ask, especially if its only one or 2 people going out. When you show up at a shoot you should get paired up with at least a couple people. Good luck and don't give up if you like to shoot. 

steveziv

If there are clubs near you that shoot 5-stand that would be a way to shoot with some guys who likely shoot SC too.

NHBirddogger

Look for clubs that have a league, they're always looking for some extra guys.

mcgreg

Got all the same problems you have, and you already got bunch of good advise here. I happen to be the worlds worst on remembering names, like it is gone in a second. So when i get to shoot with some good guys once back at the truck, i make a point to say " hey it was great shooting with you, and gimme yr phone number and ill send you a text next time out. Hope we can reconnect. Heres mine. "

After a while, you will have lots of guys to shoot with! 

Good luck!

Dogwood

IME some clubs are more friendly then others so it can pay to "shop around" so to speak: Might take 2-3 visits to figure that out.    I find older shooters to be more receptive, generally, and given that most are retired they tend to shoot on weekdays when available at a given club.  Keep your eyes open for non-registered casual competition shoots at a given club and sign up; another good way to make some friends.