tomturkey2x2

? On shooting games

dogrunner
10 minutes ago, Dogwood said:

IME some clubs are more friendly then others so it can pay to "shop around" so to speak: Might take 2-3 visits to figure that out.    I find older shooters to be more receptive, generally, and given that most are retired they tend to shoot on weekdays when available at a given club.  Keep your eyes open for non-registered casual competition shoots at a given club and sign up; another good way to make some friends.

Nowadays all clubs are Older shooters. :D

Snipeaholic
On 2/4/2018 at 9:24 AM, dogrunner said:

Nowadays all clubs are Older shooters. :D

Ouch. What's the age one becomes an older shooter? 

KerryLuft
5 hours ago, Snipeaholic said:

A year older than you are at the moment -- and it goes up every year.

Curt

Another small tip about joining a backwoods shooting club.  Most of these clubs have the same issue, 10% of the members do 95% of the work maintaining the grounds, working hosted shoots, etc.  Become one of the 10% right away when you join.  If you do you'll find that you have no problem finding a spot on a squad just about anytime you want one.

I've joined a few clubs over the years and although no one would call me a social butterfly this tactic has always worked for me.

Snipeaholic
2 hours ago, KerryLuft said:

A year older than you are at the moment -- and it goes up every year.

Whew! I thought there was going to be an actual number.

KerryLuft

It's important, too, to try to fit yourself in with like-minded shooters.  If you were trying out a new bird gun, or just casually shooting a few clays before the season, you likely would be unhappy shooting with folks who are practicing for tournaments.  Some people like to shoot a formal round and keep score; others shoot a few here and a lot there.  Some people want to see the "look pairs" and make a plan as to where they will pick them up and break them; others shoot the "look pairs" as they consider them free targets.

It's all good, but you can get crosswise if you're in the wrong bunch.  When I'm practicing seriously, I shoot alone or with one other trusted friend who knows how I shoot and can help me, and we never keep score -- we grind out 250 shells each on problem targets. When I shoot with another good friend, I don't even try to get in any serious work  -- I take a pump or a subgauge gun and we laugh a lot, particularly at our misses.

dogrunner
On 2/11/2018 at 11:25 AM, Snipeaholic said:

Well for tournament shooters a Veteran is 55 so will go with that for now.  Here is why, there is a big gap where you see very few shooters between 21 and about 40 doing very much shotgun shooting. If it was not for clubs that had some kind of kids shooting program it gets worse. Otherwise I would probably not see hardly anyone under 40 anymore. Even at our club there is not enough young kids because after High School most of them leave or are done shooting so the gap is getting bigger every day.  Some of them young kids around the country are great shots. A Sub Junior which is 16 or under just won a big sporting clays tournament and a Junior was runner up quite an accomplishment for those 2 young men we need many more to replace all the Veteran , Super veteran and Senior super veteran that will be aging out in the next few years. I am real close to Veteran status and I still feel young at my club because of all the older guys above me and not many below me. Kinda sad what’s gonna happen real soon. Lots of the guys I shot with 20 years ago have passed on.  

Mike Connally

The Old Retired Farts at my club have a great system. One guy, Bill, sends out an email every Monday stating that we are shooting Thursday. You reply yes or no. 

If there is going to be a weather problem on Thursday, that’s discussed early and we make a change. 

A great system. Very casual. I think there are about 20 guys on the email chain.