FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
blanked

Car batteries 6 years down to 3 years

blanked

Manufactures are really dropping the recommended life of car batteries compared to 10years ago.   Do you change your batteries out every 3 years as recommended or get more life

67diesel
9 minutes ago, blanked said:

Manufactures are really dropping the recommended life of car batteries compared to 10years ago.   Do you change your batteries out every 3 years as recommended or get more life

I switch mine out.  You overwork the alternator if you hang onto the batt'ry too long.

Brad Eden

I change mine when the car won't start and battery won't charge. Second battery on a 12 year old truck.

salmontogue

A load tester will keep you informed of battery capacity.  If you notice your headlights dimming at low RPMs, it is likely your battery is tired.

A good load tester is not expensive.

Perk

RDG
11 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

I change mine when the car won't start and battery won't charge. Second battery on a 12 year old truck.

This.  

kgb

Current battery in my truck is 5 years old, been thinking of replacing it as it has cranked slowly twice on cold mornings.  I loosened the terminals, worked them back and forth and snugged back up, and that problem stopped.  For now...

VizslavsBird

They learned it from the coffee companies.  No such thing as a pound of coffee.  No profit in a battery that last 5 years I guess.

mshowman

My 2011 F-150 still has the original battery. Never really considered changing one unless it fails or tests poorly. The last time I had the oil changed on my wife’s RAV4 they said the battery was testing weak. It will be replaced soon. 

NECarson
12 minutes ago, VizslavsBird said:

They learned it from the coffee companies.  No such thing as a pound of coffee.  No profit in a battery that last 5 years I guess.

Starbucks packages by the pound. 

Hettmoe

Just changed out the original battery in my 2010 1500 this past Fall.  Bought the pickup in 2009. I usually feel pretty good if I get 6 years out of one.

gunsrus

I usually change out after 5 -6 years . One of my frugal buds had his truck 14 years and traded it with the original (in New England) !

Greg Hartman
10 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Me, too.

ccavacini
13 hours ago, RDG said:

This.  

Yep, this.

rideold

I used to wait till the battery died before replacing it.  A couple of years ago we we're visiting my sister around the holidays and had to jump my truck a few times while we were there.  The nearest replacement was an hour and a half away.  I replaced the battery in the O'Reilly's parking lot on the way home.   It was hovering around 0.  Either it's my age or that wonderful day but I'm happy to get mine tested every year now and replace it before it fails.

topdog1961

Original car batteries last many years nowadays. The one in the Corolla my teenage daughter drives lasted 10 years. I went back to Toyota and bought another for it, I paid a little more than the car parts store, but felt 10 years of service couldn't be beat. That battery lasted less than 2 years. I returned it and told them how disappointed it was in it. They said it was not the original quality battery, and if they tried to sell that one the price would be so high no one would buy it. I got a few bucks off the prorated warranty. 

Like most here, I drive a battery until it shows signs of failure. I then go to Wally World. I've had very good luck with their batteries. Their smaller motorcycle and ATV batteries are substantially less money and longer lived than car parts store batteries. 

They only starting battery I replace at 3 years is the one on my Merc 125 outboard. The marina owner told me on this model if the battery gets a short, it fries the electrical system. I've done business with him many years and trust his experience. But I buy the battery at Walmart.