FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
GB Jack

Favorite dog whistle?

GB Jack

Haven’t used a whistle before, but my current dog seems to respond to them better than my voice . I was hoping to find one that was a bit more silent to my ears but one that carries enough for him? Any suggestions ? 

kgb

Whatever it is you find, be sure to buy at least two of them.  Mine's an old buffalo horn style that was popular until I lost mine with a cheap snap (not) holding it to my lanyard.  I finally found one other copy of the whistle and bought a Knotsmith lanyard to retain it.

Rick Hall

I'm a sure enough whistle whore who's owned most every tooter out there, and have settled on two: a Fox 40 "Sonic Blast" that a dog running in water hundreds of yards up a strong wind will hear and an ACME 212 (the farthest reaching of their three similar ones) that's so quiet to my ear that I'm continually surprised by how far out Marsh hops to it under more normal conditions, say a couple hundred yards running in grass.  Never had occasion to use it more than fifty or so yards out when he was running in heavy leaves, and can't speak to that.  But I'd think the 212 sufficient in any situation your voice was.

DonT

I use a Acme 210.5 it reaches out 150 yards or so but I don’t run a big bell. For my ears it’s fairly quiet and don’t mind using it yard training or around others. And a Acme thunderer medium if I need more range or impact. 

Irishwhistler

I use an Acme 210.5 and have a Fox 40 on the same lanyard should I need more volume.

Irishwhistler 🍀

salmontogue

Most were gifts.  Acme Metropolitan Police #15, Acme Thunderer molded resin over brass police whistle from my long ago LEO days, Fox 40, Acme T2000 SOLAS, Acme 535 Silent and Acme 210.5.  I like the sound of the Metropolitan, it reminds me of British detective movies.  Acme claims it can be heard a mile away.

Perk

dogrunner

Mega whistle. 

Yukon1

I use an Acme 210.5 or 211.5 for my Cocker.

I use the buzzer/tone function on the e-collar for my Setters.

If I'm not using an e-collar, then either the Cocker whistles or an Acme Thunderer depending on conditions (i.e. windy). 

Lars

I like my Acme 210 1/2 as its quiet I don't like yelling out in the field and my lab is usually close enough.  It didn't work though for my bigger running setters. 

Jake

I used the Fox 40 for years then with the new pup and possibly moving to city I would try the the Acme 212. Found it not as effective as the Fox.  At my sports retailer there was the Acme thunderer. Bit larger than the Fox but seems to have the necessary range and authority for this athletic pup.

Lars

You may want to consider the pea-less type.  I switched to them when I started hunting in January years ago and they pea was freezing up from the spit in below freezing temps. 

kgb

Should have mentioned, my "buffalo horn" whistle is pea-less and was called a spaniel type.

MNice

Acme Thunderer and Acme Sonec 211.5. I prefer the sonec's higher frequency as it's easy on my ear and I can recall my dog a good 300 yards out. My wife and daughter have problems with the frequency though.

sprocket

Mine is like the highball duck call - three long blasts, followed by 3 shorts blasts - a great "come back" call - oh, just read the first post...

BlacknTan

I've used the Roy Gonia Clear for quite a while now. I blew the sideplate out of an Acme Thunderer years ago. I like(d) the Gonia whistles, but my latest came from China. I have a Fox 40 here that I may try out..

I never liked hacking on a dog with a whistle, and like it even less now, so on this pup I'm overlaying the vibratory pager in place of a "recall" whistle blast... Quieter is better IMHO.