Flairball

Electronic ear plugs.

Flairball

I want to buy a set of quality, but not bank breaking, electronic ear plugs. I use muffs with a microphone, which are okay, but I want something less bulky. I don’t care for standard ear plugs, as it is impossible to hear anyone talking while I’m shooting, which is why I use the muffs I do. I’d like to find a reasonable pair of plug that do the same thing. So,...what do you all recommend?

Thanks. 

garyRI

I use Walker's Razor-X Neck Worn Rechargeable Electronic Ear Plugs (NRR 31dB) Flat Dark Earth in a duck blind (lots of shooting and someone sitting close by shooting too). At the range I use electronic Peltor that I paid about 60 bucks for. Upland, deer and coyote hunting I don't use anything (not THAT much shooting). If I dove hunted I would use the Walkers. Keep in mind that most of the electronic protection only drops the DB by about 30.Enough to keep your ears from ringing but probably not enough protection according to any audiologist.

Birdcountry70

If there is a good answer for this one I'm interested too. I shot a deer with a 44mag revolver last fall. I guess that was the first time I shot it without ear protection and holy crap my hunting handloads are LOUD!  I'm sure I would have heard the deer splash across the river if my ears werent ringing. 

WAGinVA

ESPs all the way.  They are not cheep but they are good.  Also the best customer service of any commercial operation I have ever dealt with.

garyRI
1 hour ago, WAGinVA said:

They are not cheep but they are good

for a base price of $900 I guess not.

8 hours ago, Flairball said:

not bank breaking

I'm pretty convinced I would loose ear plugs. The neck worn models don't get lost.

JMc

X2 on the ESP, faithful customer for over 15 years, never lost one, feel naked without them, worth the price.

dogrunner

The ESP I used in the woods I could not distinguish where the sound was coming from.  

gunsrus

I have had Sport Ear Digitals, not cheap , around $2500 , for several years now . They do the amplification very well and are great on a SC Course . They are custom fitted so there is no way to lose them . They have three settings . Set on high , they are waaaaay too noisy . Maybe ok on this setting for Turkey or deer hunting . On low , conversation is amplified ok . I usually set them on medium and don't hear all the wind etc... 

As far as hunting grouse with them , yes they do help but nothing will ever bring them to the level of the real deal . 

studdog

ESP's

Scrappy

x2 on the Walker Razor-X.  I don't have any experience with any of the expensive brands, but from an upland hunting perspective the Razor-x works really well for me.  I hate wearing any type of ear protection while hunting.  With the Raxor-x I just wear it around my neck until my dog goes on point, then I put the plugs in and go flush the birds.  The amplification is really good, and it is not too bad with directional sounds.

Treerooster
11 hours ago, dogrunner said:

The ESP I used in the woods I could not distinguish where the sound was coming from.  

I don't know much about electronic plugs, but I wear hearing aids and they act as my protectors when I shoot.

It can take some experience with the aids/plugs to determine direction. However if one aid/plug goes down due to battery dying or ear wax plugging the speaker, determining direction goes out the window. In that scenario one aid/plug working will throw you off completely. Ear wax can gradually lower the effectiveness so you may not notice it.

Just something to keep in mind if direction is hard to determine. 

dogrunner
41 minutes ago, Treerooster said:

I don't know much about electronic plugs, but I wear hearing aids and they act as my protectors when I shoot.

It can take some experience with the aids/plugs to determine direction. However if one aid/plug goes down due to battery dying or ear wax plugging the speaker, determining direction goes out the window. In that scenario one aid/plug working will throw you off completely. Ear wax can gradually lower the effectiveness so you may not notice it.

I wore them shooting, turkey hunting, deer hunting and grouse hunting,  while hunting could never pinpoint the sound. Maybe the new ones are better but 7 years ago the weren't for me. I have used other devices lately which were better than those, for direction. 

Flairball
3 hours ago, Treerooster said:

I only plan to wear them shooting clays, and maybe in a duck blind. I don’t shoot enough in the uplands to worry about it. 

Treerooster

I was just trying to point out some of the pit falls of electronic plugs and hearing aids in the hope it might help someone.

studdog

If you do a lot of shooting and hunting the electronic hearing protection works great.  At first, having your ear full of something is awkward.  After wearing them a while you get used to them.  If you wear hearing aids the ESP's can be programmed to match.  The only negative I've found is heavy wind.