2018 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION HAS LAUNCHED Read more... ×
Flairball

Electronic ear plugs.

Jakeismydog2

So I wore my new walkers game in ear electronic earplugs today. This was the 2nd time I have shot in them. (side note: I wore them while working in my woodshop the other evening. They worked fantastic in that environment) I knew today would be a test for them. The wind was blowing 30mph. There was a lot of wind noise.... then I put them in and turned them on.... as you would expect still plenty of wind noise. Was the wind noise magnified by the plugs. Yes. Was it unbearable? not for me. The wind was strong enough that it bothered everybody I shot with no matter what kind of plugs they wore. So in my opinion they passed the wind test with a grade of B+.

The one somewhat odd or annoying thing from them today was this: if i was talking with someone I could usually hear them just fine. Unless an especially noisy gust of wind blew in. Then the earplugs shut down and I did not have a clue what my buddy was saying to me. This happened with some frequency today.

So far so good with these earplugs

Recoil Rob

Another vote for the Peltor TEP 100, Just went through my thirs season with them. I find them more useful for deer hunting as when bird hunting they can be distraction, mine will shut out noise at the sound of a car door, dog barking, etc..I find musicians earplugs better for bird hunting, they let me hear my partner but tame down gunshots.

terrym

Do you guys who use these in the ear type devices ever have them pop out and lose them while hunting?

studdog

No.  My ESP's fit my ears perfectly and they stay put,  That is a good question.  Never thought of it before.

KerryLuft
3 hours ago, terrym said:

Do you guys who use these in the ear type devices ever have them pop out and lose them while hunting?

Mine are on a lanyard.  I once got the lanyard caught up in my gun and yanked the plug out of one ear -- fortunately the other one stayed in.

settem

No, mine are actually harder to remove than put in, I can't imagine you would pop one out and not know it. They also came with a lanyard that I tuck into the front of my shirt to protect it from briars. 

Spentcartridge

I'm about a month late to this thread but have a couple of questions for you guys who already own in-the-ear models:

1. Was the price a deterrent at all?  I know it's my hearing and money shouldn't be too much of an object, but did you ever feel $400-1000 was more than you wanted to pay?
  2. Is there anything you don't like about them?

And for the guys who have considered in-the-ear protection but haven't pulled the trigger (ban pun, I know) yet:

1. What is the main thing holding you back?
  2. What are you not seeing in the available models that you'd like to see before you pony up?

I've been looking around for several years for something to get away from traditional earplugs and everything I look at seems to have a drawback, just not necessarily the same drawback.

UplandHntr

Im sure I just need go get over it but the reason I havent is the fear of losing them in the field.

Spentcartridge
1 hour ago, UplandHntr said:

Im sure I just need go get over it but the reason I havent is the fear of losing them in the field.

That's a legitimate concern given the prices.  Nobody frets about losing $0.50 worth of earplugs, but a few hundred $$ is a lot to leave lying around somewhere.  For what it's worth, the guys I know who own them say they've never had one fall out of their ear while in the field.   Seems like the concern would be leaving one lying on the tailgate or having the case fall out of your pocket or something.  I guess the same thing could happen to just about any piece of hunting equipment.

mccuha

The reason I don’t have any is because I can’t afford what I want. I’ve had some inexpensive electronic muffs that worked good for quite a few years but they were uncomfortable 

BraqueLover

I bought the ESP’s 3 years ago.  They were/are very expensive.  I decided they are cheaper than hearing aids and I am hopeful they will prevent me from needing hearing aids someday.  The service from the company has been excellent.  They work very well.  You can hear talking, dog bells and so on perfectly.  To be completely honest the flush of a grouse is good but not quite as good as without them.  If you get them adjusted just right the difference is very minimal and it is worth it to me to try to save the hearing I have left.  I cant imagine losing one as they fit very well.  If I ever do lose one I would buy another set.  I believe they are preserving my hearing.  

mccuha

What did you say.  I missed it due to the ringing in my ears

GSPpurist
On 2/10/2018 at 6:56 AM, WAGinVA said:

I am not an audiologist so take this for what it is worth.  ESPs and similar hearing protection devices are really hearing aids but can not be sold as such due to some medical regs.  The primary difference is that hearing protection devices are non-vented (thus the stuffed up feeling) while most hearing aids are vented.  A friend of mine is working with an audiologist on a patent for an earpiece for behind the ear hearing aids.  Using the $1995 hearing aids from COSTCO they are getting much better attack times than currently available electronic hearing protection devices.  (i.e. the unit shuts down quicker).  If you are using behind the ear hearing aids with the little mushroom shaped earpiece that is vented you can get better hearing protection by switching to non-vented ear pieces (this according to my audiologist).  No one will tell you that they are as good as a hearing protection device (they probably are not) but they beat nothing.

Hearing protection are not the same as Hearing aides(HA).  Hearing protection is not vented so you get occlusion effect so you can hear your own breathing/joint cracking (internal noises).  Hearing aides are vented to prevent this so they are not effective as hearing protection.

ESP is a name brand, along with Westone.  For the money the best recommended are Westone Shooter's ears.  I have had custom (without wind noise cancellation) but was eaten by my pup who grabbed one off the counter.  Now I use Westone shooter's ear which I feel is the best for the money although admittedly have not tried them all.  

For wind noise cancellation, can be quite expensive.

At least that is my thoughts. 

https://www.westone.com/store/defendear/index.php/defendear-digital/defendear-shooter/ 

Recoil Rob

The Peltors cost less than $300/pair, if you lose one you can replace just one. They come with several types of inserts (the part that seals in your ear) and I find mine fit very well. Only time I've had one come loose id from the lanyard connecting the two. Well worth your money to avoid having to buy everyday hearing aids.

MTPipeliner

I have the walker silencer ear buds, and have used them duck hunting and snow goose hunting.  I’ve never used any other type of electronic ear protection, but overall I’m pretty happy with them.  There is definitely some wind noise, but it isn’t unbearable.  Wearing a hat or balaclava that covers my ears cuts down on the wind noise considerably.