• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
drummer's stump

return to shooting after shoulder surgery

drummer's stump

Can anyone give me a realistic time frame of when I might be able to return to the range after a labrum/rotator cuff surgery? Being a fairly serious range rat, not being able to shoot is screwing with my head quite bad. I have heard 6 to 9 months, I am not a praying man, but I will loose my mind if I have to go that long without shooting. If that really is the case Brad will need gas money for the post hole machine!!

PartridgeCartridge

I've been down that route with these same damages and a torn bicep. In the first month I thought I would never shoot again. After aggressive PT, I was able to shoot subgauges at about 4 months. Do your PT. Period.

drummer's stump

Did you have to chase the dragon to do it?

gunsrus

Hey Stump , give me my guns back , I'll shoot em for ya and they'll like me better cause I hit what I shoot at !

drummer's stump
2 minutes ago, gunsrus said:

Hey Stump , give me my guns back , I'll shoot em for ya and they'll like me better cause I hit what I shoot at !

speaking of chasing the dragon, someone is delusional .

PartridgeCartridge
14 minutes ago, drummer's stump said:

Did you have to chase the dragon to do it?

Yes I did. But now there are alternatives to those. PM Me

WPG Gizmo

Labrum tear in my left shoulder then a frozen shoulder I was unable to lift a gun until I had surgery on it to relieve the tension in the shoulder then it was 4-6 weeks before I could reasonable shoot again but the recoil was going into my right shoulder.  Last year March I tore the Labrum in my right shoulder it froze up and started to unfreeze so the Doc did not want to do surgery. I was doing fine until winter came along and now it is frozen again I see him next week and I am sure surgery is on the menu.  I intend to be Turkey hunting opening day so I figure I have 6-8 weeks to get it right.

PT is the key do it and the exercises they give you to do when your not at PT BUT dont over do it thinking it will get better quicker my PT guys also does something with needles that relieve tension in muscles that is a god send.

DO THE PT

DocE

As far as 'how long' --- ask your surgeon. Every shoulder surgery is different/

Currently, a lot of docs are using "Radial Shockwave Therapy" instead of immediately

going for the knife.

GB Jack

Every cuff tear is different , in repairability, technique used, method of anchoring , and differences of fluid used per case . Your surgeon will give you advice based upon what He or she found after Sugery using these factors as a baseline for healing. 

Listen to them. Cuffs hurt like hell, but give it time to heal, what you do NOT want is an irreparable cuff which will most Likely lead to a reverse total shoulder replacement , limiting your shooting ability for LIFE. 

Good luck 

bill

BEEN THERE DONE THAT TOOK ME ABOUT 7 MONTHS TO RECOVERY FROM ROTOR CUFF SURGERY NO FUN CAN,T THROW A BALL NOW WORTH A CRAP BUT SHOULDER IS USEABLE CAN STILL SHOOT OK  OFTEN  WONDERED HOW HARD IT WOULD BE TO LEARN  WING SHOOT LEFT HANDED

Field Grade

Took me six months to return from rotator surgery.

Do the PT, and whatever you do, follow doc's advice... you don't want to re-injure the shoulder, that would be devastating.

I blew off the doc's orders and went fly fishing three months after the surgery and slipped and fell on the shoulder that was not fully healed. I wrenched it pretty bad. By the grace of God I did not tear anything but it scared me and set back my recovery due to the pain.

You are healthy and in good shape so that should assist in recovery.

Rob J.

Fishnfowler

As said before, every repair is different.  Ask your ortho and therapist this question and they will give you a much better answer than us.  I'm exactly a year out from my shoulder repair and was shooting aggressively at the 7 mos mark.  I was rowing a raft and swinging a fly rod at the 4 mos mark.  It is common for a shoulder repair to take 2 years to reach baseline.  Don't be discouraged, focus on rehab, and be patient.

JNW

I haven’t had shoulder surgery, but both my shoulders got inflamed and damaged within a few months of each other last year.  Full ROM and nothing torn, but they’re messed up.  Lots of PT and my left shoulder is 99% and my right about 90%.  I didn’t mount or shoot a shotgun for 6 months.  I love break open guns and used to shoot 8-10K targets a year.  Last year I shot about 250.  I wound up buying a smurf gun - Beretta A400 Sporter.  Yes, it’s blue.  Much lighter than my primary target guns, a recoil reduction device and a gas system to eat recoil.   I’m getting it set up to shoot 7/8oz loads.  I’m doing everything I can to be nice to my shoulders.  I’ll still shoot a little bit of sxs and o/u, but only with really light loads.  I’m still just shooting 50 rounds at a time and it’s been so cold here haven’t shot for several weeks.  I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to shoot hundreds of rounds in a day or many thousands per year, but I’ve avoided surgery so far.  It’s not the panacea some make it out to be.

The rainbow in this thunderstorm has been that shooting a pistol doesn’t hurt or bother my shoulders, so I’m finally making good on becoming a much better pistol shot.  I’ve gone from being a sxs guide to joining the cult of the 1911.  Also set up a nifty air pistol range in my house so I can shoot whenever I want!

Jeff

GB Jack
2 hours ago, Fishnfowler said:

As said before, every repair is different.  Ask your ortho and therapist this question and they will give you a much better answer than us.  I'm exactly a year out from my shoulder repair and was shooting aggressively at the 7 mos mark.  I was rowing a raft and swinging a fly rod at the 4 mos mark.  It is common for a shoulder repair to take 2 years to reach baseline.  Don't be discouraged, focus on rehab, and be patient.

2 years? Really?  You’re orthpod told you that?

Fishnfowler
On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 6:20 PM, GB Jack said:

2 years? Really?  You’re orthpod told you that?

Yes, my ortho did. But more than that, I've got 30 years on the practitioner side of the table and have watched hundreds of patients recover.  No doubt many recover quickly, but my comment about return to baseline was the catch-phrase here.  I'm talking about throwing a fastball and not remembering you had surgery.