2018 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION HAS LAUNCHED Read more... ×
Speedgoat44

Dickinson 30" 20 ga

shinbone

I have a Dickinson Estate in 28ga with 28" barrels.  I am super happy with it.  Good balance.  Good weight-for-gauge.  Good function.  It is so much fun to shoot.  Killer deal at $1600.

sidelock
6 hours ago, shinbone said:

I have a Dickinson Estate in 28ga with 28" barrels.  I am super happy with it.  Good balance.  Good weight-for-gauge.  Good function.  It is so much fun to shoot.  Killer deal at $1600.

Wish i can say the same for myself although I must admit they are esthetically a nice looking gun hence the reason i bought one and if I didn't have any issues with mine, I would have bought another one in 28 gauge to go with it but for a few more $$ next time I'll put my money on a F.A.I.R. Rizini Iside instead. Chopper lump barrels, a sweet crisp trigger pull and manufactured in Italy !

I can hang my 20 gauge Dickinson by eighter trigger and the weight of the gun will not set them off, I don't  have a trigger gauge but I don't  require one to feel how horrible the trigger pulls are !

They are not readily  available  in my local therefore I had to mail order mine so my dealer is in the process of resolving the issues with them.

JWP58
21 hours ago, sidelock said:

I haven't  patterned mine yet although I intend to at some point in time but I have measured them and it doesn't make sense to me. According to their website the bore diameter of their 20gauge is .617 " and here is what mine measure out to.

Full .601"

IM   .606"

M.   .611"

IC.   .621"  

C.    .630"

Still scratching my head but I guess you get what you pay for ! There's  obviously more  to a shotgun than esthetics. 

So you haven't patterned it? Have you even shot it?

BlacknTan

I've never seen, handled, or shot a Dickinson. Or a Kimber.  I once handled one of the old S&W's.. Nice, but underwhelming IMHO.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but folks think a $1600 Turkish double with reported poor triggers a killer deal, while a nice looking, high quality double, on a time tested design made in the gool ole' USA, in the cradle of American gunmaking, raises little interest, barely a whimper at $1995?

I'll retire to bedlam....

shinbone

True that the Dickinson 28ga guns have a reputation for stiff triggers.  I bought mine used from a fellow UJ’er who confirmed the triggers on this example were good.  So I knew it would not be a problem for me.  Not sure if the later guns solved this problem.

BlacknTan, the only American SxS that comes in at a reasonable weight for gauge are the Fox guns (and then only those with #3 or #4 barrels), and Fox did not make a 28ga, as far as I know.  I know this is blasphemy to many, but the non-Fox SxS’s are heavy and complicated guns and so of no interest to a hunter like me.

JMHO, and I am putting on my flame suit.

sidelock
1 hour ago, JWP58 said:

So you haven't patterned it? Have you even shot it?

Like I said in the post you quoted me,  I haven't patterned it yet but I have shot it for the little time that I've had it.

BlacknTan
19 minutes ago, shinbone said:

True that the Dickinson 28ga guns have a reputation for stiff triggers.  I bought mine used from a fellow UJ’er who confirmed the triggers on this example were good.  So I knew it would not be a problem for me.  Not sure if the later guns solved this problem.

BlacknTan, the only American SxS that comes in at a reasonable weight for gauge are the Fox guns (and then only those with #3 or #4 barrels), and Fox did not make a 28ga, as far as I know.  I know this is blasphemy to many, but the non-Fox SxS’s are heavy and complicated guns and so of no interest to a hunter like me.

JMHO, and I am putting on my flame suit.

No flame suit needed here!

I only post my opinions also, and welcome reading the opinions of others..

jbrooster

I fully knew what I was getting into before I made the purchase. Buying an inexpensive side by side is a gamble, but you can minimize the risk by checking trigger pulls with a gauge or snap caps, evaluating condition of action and barrels, etc. The one thing you can't usually do during most 3 day inspections is fire the gun, which means you can't check barrel regulation. 

grouse28
3 hours ago, BlacknTan said:

while a nice looking, high quality double, on a time tested design made in the gool ole' USA, in the cradle of American gunmaking, raises little interest, barely a whimper at $1995?

What side by side would that be??

bjorn240

The new CSMC Revelation. 

grouse28
3 minutes ago, bjorn240 said:

The new CSMC Revelation. 

is a nice shotgun, but an O/U.

bjorn240
43 minutes ago, grouse28 said:

is a nice shotgun, but an O/U.

And you’ll note that the poster said it was an American double, not a SxS.  For a sub-2k SxS, I’d get a 90s Silverhawk. Not the sleekest thing, and far too many come with pistol grips but it’s surely a reliable scattergun. 

grouse28
5 minutes ago, bjorn240 said:

And you’ll note that the poster said it was an American double, not a SxS.  For a sub-2k SxS, I’d get a 90s Silverhawk. Not the sleekest thing, and far too many come with pistol grips but it’s surely a reliable scattergun. 

Yep, but we were talking about SxS's. Generically "double" has been interpreted as a SxS. 

Harry

Food for thought:

How many think Dickinson will be around five years from now? I have my doubts they will make three. If so parts and value are gone. 

BlacknTan
9 hours ago, grouse28 said:

Generically "double" has been interpreted as a SxS. 

Not in my world...

A double gun is a SxS or O/U. Two barrels, hence double.