2018 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION HAS LAUNCHED Read more... ×
snapt

ID Bill would eliminate need of posting private land

pjourn

The house ag committee voted to move the bill forward this afternoon. It now goes to the house floor for a vote, possibly Friday. 

It came out today that the bill as currently written would give the $500 minimum penalty, plus any damages, plus legal fees, to the landowner. In the case that the hunter/hiker/fisherman/snowmobiler is found to have not been trespassing, the landowner/plaintiff will bear no responsibility to reimburse legal fees.

So basically, the bill incentivizes not posting land and allows those who would abuse the system to prosecute and sue sportsmen with impunity. 

We were talking about this at the dinner table tonight and my 8-year-old son asked if this meant he could no longer play in the vacant lot behind our house. The sad thing is, that is exactly what it means. 

One republican, Rep. Armstrong, and two democrats, had the courage to stand for sportsmen and vote against the bill. The other members of the committee admitted that there were serious concerns with the bill, but elected to move it forward and said they would fix it next year if needed. 

If you live in Idaho, call your representatives now.

snapt

Re contacting my rep, thanks for the update!

Sage Hen

I'll contact again as well.

fishvik

I fired off emails to both of my reps today to tell them this was a very bad bill in so many ways.

Chukarman

Does anyone have an outcome on this?

Chukarman

This bill is the most greedy, slanted, and abusive trespass law i have ever seen or heard of. Clearly and grossly in favor of landowners' in all 'gray areas'. It badly needs to fail or rewritten.

The idea of "Pass it now and fix it later" is Bullsh!t with a capital B.

snapt

Absolutely ridiculous. The fight is far from over.

Even more insane is they just strenghtened the Stand your ground law (not a bad thing on its own), but in conjunction with this trespass law is going to get people shot....

Sage Hen

This is nothing but bad news for Idaho bird hunters and may be even worse for fishermen and women.And to throw a little salt in the wounds they want us to pay for prosecuting hikers, skiers, picnickers, and any other outdoors people.

snapt

https://legislature.idaho.gov/legislators/whosmylegislator/

Here's any easy way to find your local legislators. Please get in their ears!

Today's update: http://www.idahowildlife.org/hb-658-headed-to-senate-resources-committee/

Surprise its being pushed by a pair of Texans, no offense, but we don't need their land laws here....

fishvik

This law will definitely allow big time land owners with an army of lawyers to file frivolous law suit that most hunter and fisherman couldn't afford to defend. Some Texans that have bought up a lot of Boise Cascade land north of Boise come to mind. They have already tried to tie up this land and the federal land around it and other landowners property, without those owners permission. This will just give them more ammo.

idcut
On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 5:24 PM, Chukarman said:

This bill is the most greedy, slanted, and abusive trespass law i have ever seen or heard of. Clearly and grossly in favor of landowners' in all 'gray areas'. It badly needs to fail or rewritten.

The idea of "Pass it now and fix it later" is Bullsh!t with a capital B.

My sentiments exactly!

Kind of reminds me of Pelosi's comment about Obamacare "We have to pass the bill so you can find out what's in it" or some such BS!

Sage Hen

Over in the state house they have developed a knack for turning any problem into a bigger harder to solve problem.