scottspec2

Bought a new Canoe for the Van

scottspec2

After much grousing about (PUN INTENDED), and shopping with a seriously constrained budget, I scored a new to us canoe of craigslist today. Found an Old Town Guide 147 with two nice paddles for $275. 14.5 feet, 75lbs, side chines, low sides, sharp point of entry and a generally flat bottom, this is going to a great duckin' and fishin' boat. My old canoe is pretty stable, but this will be more so, and catch way less corsswind along the way, not to mention just being a better size for 1 person to handle paddling. plus it's just big enough for Watson and I to take a guest along. Plans are for a full camouflage repaint, possibly changing out the "front" seat to a traditional flat style (currently molded plastic) so I can solo paddle it in a reverse position, as well as a super minimalist blind and pole anchor setup that I've been hashing out in my head a lot. So here's to looking to our next adventure, and starting the preparations with a new floater!

Resized_20180218_134309Resized.jpeg

Resized_20180218_104945Resized.jpeg

OldSarge

Sounds like a fun project and lots of good memories in the making. I have several old canoes and small row boats. I enjoy playing with all of them. 

topdog1961

That's a good looking canoe.  Be careful waterfowling out of one. I took a November dunking out of a canoe when me and my buddy both leaned into the shot when a flock of Canadians snuck up on us. Miserable experience and potentially very dangerous. Went to a 12 ft flat bottomed pointed bow boat with high sidewalls after that.  

scottspec2
1 hour ago, topdog1961 said:

That's a good looking canoe.  Be careful waterfowling out of one. 

Canoes certainly have their shortcomings, stability being one, but in my opinion they are the most versatile boat out there. A canoe can flex from tiny rivers and pocket waters up to large lakes and reservoirs dependant upon your skill and iweather conditions. Also it fits on my roof. Being from northern MN I've logged countless hours in canoes my entire life, and I feel confident doing just about anything out of them. I can even have Watson jump out and pull him back in without fear of tipping.

topdog1961

I have the worst luck with picking canoeing partners. It seems no matter who I go with, we end up getting wet. It's a good thing none of them ever want to go canoeing with me again. 

Steve Hunts
4 hours ago, scottspec2 said:

Canoes certainly have their shortcomings, stability being one, but in my opinion they are the most versatile boat out there. A canoe can flex from tiny rivers and pocket waters up to large lakes and reservoirs dependant upon your skill and iweather conditions. Also it fits on my roof. Being from northern MN I've logged countless hours in canoes my entire life, and I feel confident doing just about anything out of them. I can even have Watson jump out and pull him back in without fear of tipping.

I use an aluminum rowing frame with adjustable outriggers on my canoe these days. No stability issues and I can really like the added power I get from from using oars. It's my cheapo version of an Adirondack guide boat. : >)

scottspec2

I've seen setups like that, they look like they would work decently well. I'm an old school single paddle kind of guy.

bkelble

I used to stand up paddle one of those when I took a dog along for the ride.  Its a nice stable canoe, big enough for 2, and damn near bulletproof.

Scrappy

Looks like fun.  I have been waterfowling out of a canoe for a long time now.  You are right, they are very versatile.

Brad Eden

Nice. Old Town makes good stuff. I have an old 15' Pathfinder. (Seems all my gear is old these days.) it's chained to a tree at a semi remote pond near my northwoods camp. Good size, like yours; not too big and not too small. I need to get it home and replace the disintegrating cane seats. We also have a couple OT kayaks,  A Loon and another one, can't remembe the name.

Hub
15 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

Nice. Old Town makes good stuff. I have an old 15' Pathfinder. (Seems all my gear is old these days.) it's chained to a tree at a semi remote pond near my northwoods camp. Good size, like yours; not too big and not too small. I need to get it home and replace the disintegrating cane seats. We also have a couple OT kayaks,  A Loon and another one, can't remembe the name.

I love my old school aluminum Grumman canoes.  I paid $150 for my 65# 17'er.  I  could have bought a backup in pristine condition for $200 last year sitting in a country lawn, but couldn't figure out what I'd do with it.  One of the best things about an aluminum canoe is that you can stash it in the woods and come back a year later and if nobody found it it's just the same plus some dirt.  Maybe once every 5 years you need to blow some great stuff into the bulk heads.  I think mine is probably older than I am.

scottspec2
2 hours ago, bkelble said:

I used to stand up paddle one of those when I took a dog along for the ride.  Its a nice stable canoe, big enough for 2, and damn near bulletproof.

That's good to hear. I'm assuming based on the weight and hull design that it would be a stable ride, which is why it was on my list initially. My old canoe that I left back in Minnesota is extremely stable (for a canoe), I'm hoping this will shoe as being equally or more so.

scottspec2

Got the boat out for it's first paddle with us. Generally, I like it. Super stable. In a kneeled position I was able to drop the gunwale to within an inch of the water comfortably and with stability. The side chines really do some work, you can basically feel them lock in when you rock the sides down. It was also stable enough to stand up and fly cast out of comfortably. The only down side: the seats. Originally my thought was only to replace the front one so I could use it to solo paddle, but after two days of testing they'll both be going. They are super slippery and your butt slides off constantly, they don't stay up when you slide out of them, and are only comfortable sitting directly forward, which makes pivoting for casting and shooting a chore. All in all though, I like it. Plus we got to harass some local quackers with the camera for a bit.

full blog post https://scottandwatson.wordpress.com/

DSC01409Resized.jpg

DSC01386Resized.jpg

DSC01382Resized.jpg

DSC01375Resized.jpg

DSC01402Resized.jpg

flint

I’ll be following this. I have basically the same boat with the same horrible molded seats. 

scottspec2
13 minutes ago, flint said:

I’ll be following this. I have basically the same boat with the same horrible molded seats. 

I had it in the water again yesterday, ran it primarily with a 30lb thrust Minn Kota. Simply put, it's a perfect pair. The hull design produces very little drag and it scoots pretty well with the little electric motor, turns well too. Only Issue I see coming is that I used to put my deep cell under a seat to get it out of the way, and that's not going to work with this boat. Although I will be replacing the seats, those replacements will be set to the same height as the balance point is perfect. I'll just put the battery in a marine box and place it to balance the load as needed though. I replaced the seats on my old canoe once already, it's a simple enough project.

DSC01451Resized.jpg

DSC01460Resized.jpg

DSC01462Resized.jpg