FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
67diesel

luxury trucks

whiskyjack

I'll admit to being one of those guys that buys a new, fairly high end truck. But, I tend to keep it long enough to be worth my while.

I also drive it off road to my duck slough or upland game areas, down logging roads on moose and elk hunts. It is just plain nice to be comfortable on the long drives across the Prairie.

I do get some looks from folks though, "What the heck are you doing with that nice truck in the bush?" is a common question.

I don't smoke, drink or gamble, my wife won't let me have a girlfriend so I buy nice toys.

But, there are lots of trucks that never leave the pavement for sure.

Jeff

NW River Mac

A couple of good things have come out of this thread,  lumbersexual and "all hat no horse."   Thanks

jeff88

Jeep Wranglers can be just like those pick-ups that are not used at all as pick-ups in these parts - most around here are never taken off road.  They are Buffy and Biffs prom ride.  Seriously, almost every wrangler in my town is being driven by a teenage female.  They are sooooooooo cuuuuuuuuuuuuute!

As for lumbersexuals, in a bar in the Southside of PGH is a poster with pictures of two identical looking guys in flannel shirts with beards.  The 1st one is labeled STEELWORKER.  The second picture is labeled HIPSTER.  Thought it was hilarious.

studdog

You guys are making me feel guilty about my luxury large SUV.  I want all my stuff inside in climate controlled comfort.  When towing a trailer I want all the bells and whistles.  When going on a Rooster road trip I have room for guys, dogs and lots of stuff.  Have fun in your puny Subaru!  Just saying!

NECarson
2 hours ago, jeff88 said:

As for lumbersexuals, in a bar in the Southside of PGH is a poster with pictures of two identical looking guys in flannel shirts with beards.  The 1st one is labeled STEELWORKER.  The second picture is labeled HIPSTER.  Thought it was hilarious.

I need one of those for the shop! 

jeff88
On 3/3/2018 at 2:30 PM, studdog said:

You guys are making me feel guilty about my luxury large SUV.  I want all my stuff inside in climate controlled comfort.  When towing a trailer I want all the bells and whistles.  When going on a Rooster road trip I have room for guys, dogs and lots of stuff.  Have fun in your puny Subaru!  Just saying!

Don't feel guilty about your SUV, you are using it as intended!  

OldSarge

I have a luxury truck, 2012 F-150 Harley Davidson edition with 6.2L and 6 speed auto, 4x4, leather, electric running boards, the works. The heated seats are the bomb. I also have a power washer and a wax buffer. It is actually my wife’s daily driver. It is a great vehicle that tows our camper and boat, hauls butt, and is fun to drive. I wish I could keep it forever. I don’t like or fit well in cars, so we buy nice trucks that fit out lifestyle. I smile every time I fire that truck up and get in the driver’s heated, leather, electric seat. We use it like a 4x4 truck though. I didn’t buy it for the next guy to enjoy so we drive it like we are trying to get our money’s worth out of it. 

Don Steese
On 3/3/2018 at 1:30 PM, studdog said:

Have fun in your puny Subaru!  

That really stung!!:(

IMG_0405.JPG

studdog

Didn't mean to offend.  I owned one once.  They are one of the best small SUV's out there. 

Don Steese
4 hours ago, studdog said:

Didn't mean to offend.  I owned one once.  They are one of the best small SUV's out there. 

You didn't offend!  I only bought mine because it's very light therefore tows easily behind my moho. 27 to 30 mpg but I have to burn premium. It was also cheap. I'm amazed at how many people ( especially young guys) will comment that they like it!  I have a friend who works at a Subaru dealer and she says when they get one on the lot it's gone in a day.

Dogwood

Read an article in the Detroit Free Press last week that the New Lincoln Navigators at upwards of $100,000 are selling like hot cakes.  100 grand.  Sorry that's obscene on multiple levels.  Then again, I've blown half that on a boat so who am I to talk?

charlo slim
54 minutes ago, Dogwood said:

Read an article in the Detroit Free Press last week that the New Lincoln Navigators at upwards of $100,000 are selling like hot cakes.  100 grand.  Sorry that's obscene on multiple levels.  Then again, I've blown half that on a boat so who am I to talk?

Several years back, I had a visitor / guest down here at "Quail Camp" who was going batshit gaga over the place.  As it turns out, he had considerably more $$ tied up in his decked out new SUV and a couple of shotguns than I have in the 400 acres and 1000 ft sq off-grid cabin.  Whatever trips yer wicket, I suppose.

Cooter Brown
On 2/22/2018 at 12:56 PM, Marc Ret said:

the Maine Misanthrope during his formative years...

This is the sort of turn of phrase that makes the internet worthwhile.

tut

Not truck related, but I was driving a 2 track in Michigan last year in my 2010 4 Runner.  Track getting smaller and smaller and I kept going.  Pretty soon limbs were banging the sides and roof and I stopped and got out and checked it out.  Pretty good scratches were starting to appear on the 4 Runner just about everywhere.  Tried to figure out if I could turn around anywhere and the answer was no.  Started to get loppers out of the vehicle and cut a path forward and realized that was an exercise in futility.  Finally folded both side mirrors in and said WTF lets go.

1/2 mile later I was out.  Looked the 4Runner over and thought 8 years old 115K on it.  Hell, I won't even wash it.  I'll rewax it in the spring and break out the rubbing compound at the same time and clean up the new scratches.   Flash forward to December and I realized paint was coming off the hood where I had been pushing through brush.  Also had a cut in the bumper from running over a sunken Tpost at a tractor tire waterer.  Bottom line $1,200 in new paint and bumper repair.   At least they washed the 4Runner while they were doing everything else.  Yep, good till spring now.  

Dogwood
32 minutes ago, tut said:

Not truck related, but I was driving a 2 track in Michigan last year in my 2010 4 Runner.  Track getting smaller and smaller and I kept going.  Pretty soon limbs were banging the sides and roof and I stopped and got out and checked it out.  Pretty good scratches were starting to appear on the 4 Runner just about everywhere.  Tried to figure out if I could turn around anywhere and the answer was no.  Started to get loppers out of the vehicle and cut a path forward and realized that was an exercise in futility.  Finally folded both side mirrors in and said WTF lets go.

1/2 mile later I was out.  Looked the 4Runner over and thought 8 years old 115K on it.  Hell, I won't even wash it.  I'll rewax it in the spring and break out the rubbing compound at the same time and clean up the new scratches.   Flash forward to December and I realized paint was coming off the hood where I had been pushing through brush.  Also had a cut in the bumper from running over a sunken Tpost at a tractor tire waterer.  Bottom line $1,200 in new paint and bumper repair.   At least they washed the 4Runner while they were doing everything else.  Yep, good till spring now.  

You do realize you're completely ruining the grouse patina on that rig?  Don't you watch Antique Road Show?  Geez.