67diesel

luxury trucks

Dogwood
8 hours ago, charlo slim said:

Several years back, I had a visitor / guest down here at "Quail Camp" who was going batshit gaga over the place.  As it turns out, he had considerably more $$ tied up in his decked out new SUV and a couple of shotguns than I have in the 400 acres and 1000 ft sq off-grid cabin.  Whatever trips yer wicket, I suppose.

There you go.  At least my boat was a used Grady White so the first guy ate most of the initial depreciation. And I fished a lot on it.  And my wife Jane and I made some memories ;).  There.  I feel better.  Thanks for listening.

dogrunner

Selling like hot cakes is kinda stretching it. Lots of them got to upper mangament so the numbers are kinda slanted. It is basically a low volume luxury vehicle. I have got my uncle 3 of them, he really likes them. He can drive whatever he wants and has had Escalades but he likes the Navigator better. It is nice but lots of electronics, when I sat in a new one it felt like I was in a Spaceship. 

7F5DC8D9-224F-4244-9EFD-AFBD2ED93C16.jpeg

charlo slim
1 hour ago, Dogwood said:

There you go.  At least my boat was a used Grady White so the first guy ate most of the initial depreciation. And I fished a lot on it.  And my wife Jane and I made some memories ;).  There.  I feel better.  Thanks for listening.

Hah, that's nuthin.  I got plenty of possums, armadillos, scorpions, rattlesnakes, mesqujite, and granite in the deal too! 

Kemo Sabe

I love my fully loaded Chevy Tahoe LTZ. It’s very comfortable vehicle and has mud/snow tires. Seats 7, and works extremely well for my family. Pearl white, silver mags. My wife and I share this vehicle. Her main vehicle just changed from a 625 BMW to the top of the line Tesla. I’m not happy about that one. It’s basically an expensive golf cart.

I mainly drive my High Country Chevy Truck. Has 4 doors, King Cab, big ass tires,  and is my go to the duck  club vehicle/sporting clays courses vehicle. Tows my Kawasaki Mule perfectly to clay  tuna-ments. It’s also pearl white, and has the luxury interior. 

I enjoy my vehicles. 

NECarson
14 hours ago, Don Steese said:

You didn't offend!  I only bought mine because it's very light therefore tows easily behind my moho. 27 to 30 mpg but I have to burn premium. It was also cheap. I'm amazed at how many people ( especially young guys) will comment that they like it!  I have a friend who works at a Subaru dealer and she says when they get one on the lot it's gone in a day.

On the subject of young guys complimenting it... 

I've got a friend with a 2 year old loaded Ford diesel sitting on nice wheels. 

We were teasing him about all the girls he must get with it (he's mid 20s and single) 

He says girls can't see it, but old guys love it. They are always talking to him about it. 

henryrski

I recently talked to a car salesman friend of mine and had just sold a diesel pickup for $89,000 and an expedition for $73,000. That's expensive.:o

Don Steese
Just now, henryrski said:

I recently talked to a car salesman friend of mine and had just sold a diesel pickup for $89,000 and an expedition for $73,000. That's expensive.:o

Whenever I see vehicle prices like that I can't help make a comparison to my first house back in 1973. Three bedroom bi-level on one acre. House, lot, well, septic, and $1000 worth of landscaping.....$22,000. My mortgage payment was $125 per month and that included escrow for taxes and insurance!

CptSydor
26 minutes ago, Don Steese said:

Whenever I see vehicle prices like that I can't help make a comparison to my first house back in 1973. Three bedroom bi-level on one acre. House, lot, well, septic, and $1000 worth of landscaping.....$22,000. My mortgage payment was $125 per month and that included escrow for taxes and insurance!

Just out of curiosity.

1973 - Average yearly salary $7500

- Average car price $3250 (quick search), High end Cadillac - $6500 (0.85x salary)

- You house price - $22,000 (National average about $33000, 4x salary)

2016 - Average yearly salary $48500

- Average car price $25000 (quick estimate), High end Cadillac $750000 (1.6x salary)

- Your house price? (National average is $305000, 6.x salary)

Seems average car price is comparable to average salary, definitely high end cars and real estate spending is a higher proportion. But things like interest rates and other factors (I'm not an economist) could influence the effective comparison.

salmontogue
1 hour ago, CptSydor said:

Just out of curiosity.

- Average car price $3250 (quick search), High end Cadillac - $6500 (0.85x salary)

- Average car price $25000 (quick estimate), High end Cadillac $750000 (1.6x salary)

Seems average car price is comparable to average salary, definitely high end cars and real estate spending is a higher proportion. But things like interest rates and other factors (I'm not an economist) could influence the effective comparison.

Two items that will be shockers are the cost of healthcare and education.

Perk

Don Steese
11 hours ago, CptSydor said:

Just out of curiosity.

I kinda knew all that stuff!  We tend to think of the good old days as being better than they really were!!  $85 K still sounds like a lot for a pivkup truck though!!

Dogwood

I doubt that all the folks buying $85K trucks are making  $170K.

dogrunner

Pimped out grouse mobile. It can get you to your spot Fast. 

A65B6D05-FB19-4A51-8890-C81C4399E6FA.jpeg

studdog

That's my "dog" truck but mine is Blue.

Jazz4Brazo
On 3/18/2018 at 7:10 AM, Dogwood said:

You do realize you're completely ruining the grouse patina on that rig?  Don't you watch Antique Road Show?  Geez.

I believe they call that Maine pinstriping xD

dogrunner

The Original Navigator. 

72710C64-E974-451F-A88B-FC89691BA491.jpeg