charlo slim

A little help from UJ Car Guys?

Cooter Brown
1 hour ago, charlo slim said:

Wrong!  That is the very first thing I thought about when this whole deal started. I'll keep the LA LA LA caper in reserve for now.

Thanks everyone (everyone else, I mean).9_9

Glad to help!

Clueless1
1 hour ago, Cooter Brown said:

Changing your phone number.

Putting your fingers in your ears and loudly saying "LALALALALALALA" over and over.

Ha!  I gotta admit, with my MIL I'd be running as far away from this no win situation as possible.  EVERY time the oil so much as needed changed I'd be hearing about how "so and so's car doesn't need the oil changed this often."  Not to mention if anything really went wrong. :D

rideold
5 hours ago, charlo slim said:

I'm thinking that making sure entry and riding/driving comfort works for MIL is going to be critical.

That is exactly why I went the dealer route for my Mother-in-law!  I put it together so that she was the one making the choice on the vehicle.  I was just the taxi driver and wallet.

Clueless1

Well?  Gruesome details needed!

Brad Eden

My 2 cents. My wife has had the following: (early on VW Rabbits and Golfs and a Honda Civic) Nissan Pathfinder, Honda CRV, Toyoya RAV4 and now has a Nissan Rogue. She has been in home health care pretty much her whole working career, and also travels south to see relatives way too much, so puts a load of miles on her vehicles. A lot of those miles are in Northern New England weather with ice, and snow. Her AWD Rogue is her favorite small SUV so far.

jeff88

Adding a Mazda 3 hatchback.  Look for a 2010/11.  Works as a nice economy car and wagon with the rear hatch.

Tim Frazier

I am a huge fan of Toyota and will probably attempt to buy a used Toyota for any vehicle needs in the near future.  I'd like to roll towards Subaru, and I know the Koreans have caught up, but I have a lot of faith that any Toyota can go 200,000 miles plus with little to no maintenance.   That being said I am also a big fan of Ford and think that any Escape '12 and back, with the Mazda 4 banger, is a real bargain if the rest of the vehicle is in good shape.  They run and run and run.  My biggest complaint with the Escapes is they rust like crazy around the back wheel wells.  Don't know nothing about the new ones.  Nissan is another company I have heard a lot of good about.  Good Luck!!

garyRI
On 2/21/2018 at 12:38 PM, charlo slim said:

(Toyota / Subaru etc). Maybe Hyundai Santa Fe, Ford Escape.

Any of these in 4wd is going to be very high milegage (>125k) to get in your $10k price range. I would go to front wheel drive in Toyota, Honda, Kia, Hyndia from a new car dealer's used cars. And their inventories can be searched online.

Dakota Dogman

Don't know your mother in law, but this sounds to me like one of those either "Can't win" or "Can't lose" situations, depending on her.  Can't lose? You are lucky.  Like the rest of us? Wondering how much your stock is about to drop!

I find a lot of older people love Mini-vans for the easy access & big doors.  Not 4wd though.

God Bless,

charlo slim
On 3/1/2018 at 11:26 AM, Clueless1 said:

Well?  Gruesome details needed!

REPORT -- FROM THE GATES OF HELL!

Nah, not really that bad. Sortof.  But not much real progress either.  We seem to be drifting toward a bit more $ and probably a fwd Escape, trying to keep mileage well below 100k (more of a concern for MIL than it would be for me).  i have learned a few things along the way, the primary one being that trying to manage 2 wild hooligan dogs at a suburban Denver home with an unfenced yard is a major PITA!  So is driving in this metropolitan rat race warren.   Whine.... whine..... etc.

Gory details to follow.  Thanks to all for helpful info.

MAArcher

Only 5k a year?  Get a 2004 or older (2005-2011 are trouble) Nissan Xterra with as many miles under 150k that you can find, it should cost less than $6k; and then bank the rest. If she drives it through a car wash once in while so it doesn't rust too bad and keeps up with regular maintenance, she'll be good for the next 10 years when she finally hits 200k.  There's a few on craigslist. 

The hardest part of your mission is getting it done in two days.  Denver is spread out, how many vehicles can you actually look at in just a couple days?  Almost have to have the deal done before you get there so you can help her get it registered and everything if she needs it.

https://denver.craigslist.org/ctd/d/2003-nissan-xterra-se-4x4-1/6514629780.html

If she's only driving 5k a year, talk her into just using Uber. (no insurance, registrations, mechanics)

charlo slim

*****************MISSION REPORT******************

Phone: 406-370-xxxx

LALALALALALALALALALALA!!

Why in the HELL didn't any of my so-called "friends" here on UJ warn me about the perils of this here caper??

MIL wound up with a 2016 Buick Encore with 12k mi.  Seemed like a very nice little car.  Only took 6 days.

Next time I will likely opt for the hemorrhoid transplant. :( 

MAArcher
1 hour ago, charlo slim said:

*****************MISSION REPORT******************

Phone: 406-370-xxxx

LALALALALALALALALALALA!!

Why in the HELL didn't any of my so-called "friends" here on UJ warn me about the perils of this here caper??

MIL wound up with a 2016 Buick Encore with 12k mi.  Seemed like a very nice little car.  Only took 6 days.

Next time I will likely opt for the hemorrhoid transplant. :( 

For $10k?  nice job. 

charlo slim
On 3/13/2018 at 9:59 AM, MAArcher said:

For $10k?  nice job. 

Oh, that was just a minor change of plans...... one of about 20 such changes, I might add:(.

Thanks again, everyone..

WyomingArt

You're a good man. You  deserve the  " Underappreciated Son In Law Award."     I woulda' pleaded acute appendicitis or something...