FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
bwjohn

Seresto Alternatives

bwjohn

Any one using a seresto alternate?

with spring coming time to load up on collars, and getting a little sticker shock.  I have been able to find pretty good deals online before, but this time around not as much luck.

What other collars have you tried?

thanks for the info, brandon

Brad Eden

Top for info.

Dogwood

If you're insistent on a collar then stick with the Seresto and pay The Man.  If you want tick protection only then a Preventic collar will work well to drop ticks when they bite but has zero repellency unlike the Seresto.

That'll be 2 cold Pilsners.

Brad Eden

Thanks for the reminder. I'm due for a couple Serestos for my mutts. Looks like they are running $50ish for small and $52-55$ ish for large, Online; Amazon, Chewy etc. (I'd go with UJ Ad Sponsor Gun Dog Supply but can't find them on their site)

Scalibor may be a cheaper alternative for you but they dont last as long either. I have a full kennel of dogs. For ME. I've had huge success with the seresto collars as any of the topicals were useless. You can take what I'm writing to the bank. I live in a state where the Tick is our state bird. Hope this helps.

Mike

Craig Doherty

Just ordered a bunch of Seresto collars offshore for $37.30 with free shipping -- ordered 10 -- they're due in in about a week.  At that price, they/re cheaper then most monthly topical or orals.  Serestos have worked well for us over the past few years.  I'll re-post with contact info if I receive them without a problem.  

snood
19 minutes ago, Craig Doherty said:

Just ordered a bunch of Seresto collars offshore for $37.30 with free shipping -- ordered 10 -- they're due in in about a week.  At that price, they/re cheaper then most monthly topical or orals.  Serestos have worked well for us over the past few years.  I'll re-post with contact info if I receive them without a problem.  

I've done the same for the past couple of years. No problems, just a little longer shipping time.

bwjohn

It is already warming up in va, didnt want to wait for the shipping time.  I think on ebay i got them down to around 33 each, from thailand.  Just could wait, it was saying up to 30 days delivery and fadtest was 14 days.  Mine will be here friday at 49/collar.  Next year i will get on it earlier.

brandon

smalliesonthefly

I've been using Salvo collars (4% deltamethrin) for the past year, having switched from Seresto. Preventic prior to that. Didn't like Preventic, I reacted to it. Seresto worked well, but year-round coverage was the draw for me, instead of trying to optimize the eight month span. The Salvo lasts six months, and two in the pack for about $30. It seemed very effective last year, only a couple of ticks found, dead. I supplement with a topical spray before running out in the county forest, just in case. Any reviews of other alternatives are of interest to me, as well.

Craig Doherty
On 2/28/2018 at 2:15 PM, Craig Doherty said:

Arrived today -- same collars I've bought in the US only the packaging is in Spanish and Portugese.

Seresto Collars from Portugal

Up North

I bought some on eBay that had a date of 12/16 on them. Google search says that they don’t put an expiration date on them. So do you think it was the manufacture date? Thx

Brad Eden

I paid up on Amazon for two Seresto collars. $54 each. Bundled with a birthday gift order for JoAnn. Haven't opened them yet. No expiration date on outside of tin packaging. I do wish they offered a medium size. The small just barely fits our 20 lb Cav Spaniel. She does have a big bobble head but still.

sprocket

Based on the TV commercials - If it can turn a Boxer into a retriever you might want to reconsider - Although the last retrieve might need further investigation...

paul frey

I don't use collars but I use Bravecto.  It's a chewable tablet (unless you have labs, then they swallow it whole).It's 1 tablet every 3 months.  Since using this product I have never found a tick on any of my dogs (3different dogs) and have had no ill effects due to this product.  I also live in TICK HELL.

Brad Eden

I like the idea and simplicity of a chewable tablet like Bravecto. But the cost is prohibitive for me. For around $50 each my dogs are protected from ticks with Seresto for 8 months (they wear them from April thru December and are still working past 8 months). It would cost me around $150 for 9 months with Bravecto. (Based on a quick Google price search)