Treerooster

Couple of Stenstrom Knives

Treerooster

The wife and I are having a place built up in the mountains. The builder we are working with has done a great job and we wanted to get him a thank you gift. After seeing Michael Stenstrom's knife making ability on here I thought a knife would be a good thank you. So we ordered Michael's Pronghorn (Damascus steel) for the builder.

I had also seen his Scaly knife and was intrigued by it. Thought it was a cool and interesting design with the sheath and all. Just the style of knife I like for birds too. So I ordered one along with the Pronghorn...hey I was paying for shipping anyways. :) I was a bit skeptical how the Scaly would feel in my back pocket but a couple of guys on here said they felt the knife/sheath less than their wallet. After a couple of days having the knife in my back pocket they were right. Feels less intrusive than a wallet, even when riding in the truck or sitting in a chair.

The knives are also a bit special in that the walnut handles are from the wood of a tree I grew from seed. Planted the tree in 1983, it recently died of 1000 canker disease so I saved some of the wood and sent a few pieces to Michael.

He did a great job! Pics aren't the best.

Stenstrom knives 3.jpg

Stenstrom knives 2.jpg

Stenstrom knives 1.jpg

Michael Stenstrom

Thanks Gary. It is always nice to work with wood or antler that people send me.  It makes the knives mean more to both them and me.

readgriff

I’ve got a scaly great little bird knife.

I love that knife stays sharp also👍

Michael Stenstrom

I thought I would add a pict of the knives that I had taken.

0BA6662A-4C3B-4F40-B30E-084A1969CF57.jpeg

Treerooster

Thats them. :)

Better than my pics.

Fins and Feathers

I have a Scaly as well.  Is a handy little knife.  Sent Michael a piece of walnut from  small farm where I grew up.   Have now placed an order for a Blacktail to made from some of the same wood.  

8D9D5134-3164-41F6-965C-B011D927A4B1.jpeg

Brad Eden

IMG_0298.JPG

The Scaly rocks. I've used it on just about every critter. When not in my jeans back pocket it lives in our kitchen knife drawer because it's the only knife that keeps its edge. ( This is one of Mikes first prototypes he gave me to get my feedback)

Irish Joe

You are a craftsman Mike!

Don Steese

Anyone who can craft something with the level of beauty and functionality these knives have has my utmost respect!  

Michael Stenstrom

Thanks for the compliments.  I will post some pictures of the latest knife when I finish sealing the handle and get it back from the sheath maker.  It incorporates elk ivories into the handle.  It was a really cool project to work on. if yo are on Facebook check out and follow my Outdoorsman's Edges page there.

Mike

Michael Stenstrom

Here is that knife with the elk ivories incorporated into the handle as the finger ridges I always put on the handle scales.

29191876-D4AC-4836-BFD8-DA06BA2D8B79.jpeg