2018 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION HAS LAUNCHED Read more... ×
browndrake

AZ Elk 2018

browndrake

Well, either me, my wife, or one of my kids just drew an elk tag for this fall.  Hope to find out who next week, and which hunt was drawn.

I have by far the most points but the kids second choice has a much higher draw rate than my choices.

(In AZ we are all kinda crazy and get almost as much excitement during the draw as during the hunt...no, not really..but it is the most exciting thing in March)

Birdcountry70

Congrats!  Seems odd that you can find out someone in your family drew but not who it was.  Here in MT we can go online as soon as the results are drawn and entered and see how we did. And this is a state so primitive we can get a free license to take home roadkill! 😊 😝 

browndrake
9 minutes ago, Birdcountry70 said:

Congrats!  Seems odd that you can find out someone in your family drew but not who it was.  Here in MT we can go online as soon as the results are drawn and entered and see how we did. And this is a state so primitive we can get a free license to take home roadkill! 😊 😝 

Thanks...we are excited.

In AZ your credit card gets hit a week or so before they post the results.  (at least that is how it has been for the last few years)  I was hit for $135 by AZGF yesterday.   I would think that they could post the results the same day also....but they ARE working on streamlining it and doing it faster.  They are two weeks faster this year than last.

polecat

Congrats to someone.

Brad Eden
17 hours ago, browndrake said:

(In AZ we are all kinda crazy and get almost as much excitement during the draw as during the hunt...no, not really..but it is the most exciting thing in March)

Same for us in Maine for Moose. It's a real thing with a crowd, and sometimes moose calling competitions, etc., during the drawing in June.

like 'Cat said. Good luck to someone.

Big Al

They issue 40 tags in the area I apply in for my Bull Elk permit and last year there were 279 applicants.  They only give out 10% of the tags to nonresidents.  I 'm accumulating a lot of bonus points though.

browndrake
1 hour ago, Big Al said:

They issue 40 tags in the area I apply in for my Bull Elk permit and last year there were 279 applicants.  They only give out 10% of the tags to nonresidents.  I 'm accumulating a lot of bonus points though.

I bought my lifetime licence this year, as I may be leaving AZ in the next year or two.  That will lock me into the resident pool of tags....and save me the cost of NR licence towards the draw every year.

CodyM

Congrats on whoever drew. I know the feeling waiting to see what you have drawn is half the fun. I've wanted to hunt Az for big game for a while but I'm a simpleton and can't wrap my head around the point system. I truly think our system in NM is the best... Pure lottery. You go in with the same chances every year (Depending on # of tags and # of people applying of course) and no point creep. From what I understand I will never have an opportunity to draw a premium tag in Utah since I'm already in my 30's and haven't been acquiring points. Kind of a bummer.

dogrunner

Always nice to hit a draw like that. I hit one for Elk in our state which is a lottery draw too and hard to get. Good luck on the hunt. 

Big Al
20 hours ago, dogrunner said:

Always nice to hit a draw like that. I hit one for Elk in our state which is a lottery draw too and hard to get. Good luck on the hunt. 

I remember when they had the first modern day elk hunt in MI.  There were some nice bulls taken that first year.

Can you apply again after being successful or is it a once in a lifetime deal?

Clueless1
21 hours ago, CodyM said:

Congrats on whoever drew. I know the feeling waiting to see what you have drawn is half the fun. I've wanted to hunt Az for big game for a while but I'm a simpleton and can't wrap my head around the point system. I truly think our system in NM is the best... Pure lottery. You go in with the same chances every year (Depending on # of tags and # of people applying of course) and no point creep. From what I understand I will never have an opportunity to draw a premium tag in Utah since I'm already in my 30's and haven't been acquiring points. Kind of a bummer.

I have the same problem for all states, so I stick with OTC or 'easy draw' spots. 

Congrats Browndrake!  I expect an update and a thread detailing the hunt. 

browndrake
22 hours ago, CodyM said:

In AZ, you can draw with no points.  The have two stages of the draw. 20% of the tags are given during the first stage, which is only for people with lots of points.  The remainder are for anybody.   

For non residents in AZ, however, a maximum of 10% of the state's hunt tags can be awarded.  My understanding is that those 10% are gone before the second stage of the draw, so point creep and all that really affects them

topdog1961
On March 3, 2018 at 3:43 PM, browndrake said:

In AZ your credit card gets hit a week or so before they post the results.  (at least that is how it has been for the last few years)  I was hit for $135 by AZGF yesterday.

Let's hope AZGF didn't get hacked, and this isn't  some Russian teenager sitting in his basement in his underwear. 

Just kidding....I hope. Congratulations. 

CodyM
1 hour ago, browndrake said:

In AZ, you can draw with no points.  The have two stages of the draw. 20% of the tags are given during the first stage, which is only for people with lots of points.  The remainder are for anybody.   

For non residents in AZ, however, a maximum of 10% of the state's hunt tags can be awarded.  My understanding is that those 10% are gone before the second stage of the draw, so point creep and all that really affects them

I need to look into it more, I think there are some units in Az with OTC archery coues tags so that maybe an option.

browndrake

There are some units that are over the counter, both any weapon and archery, with various season dates. The unit I live in is over the counter, any weapon, and 365 days of the year. There are, however, very few elk where I live and the state is trying to get rid of them.