2018 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION HAS LAUNCHED Read more... ×
browndrake

AZ Elk 2018

dogrunner
11 hours ago, Big Al said:

I remember when they had the first modern day elk hunt in MI.  There were some nice bulls taken that first year.

Can you apply again after being successful or is it a once in a lifetime deal?

They changed it about 6-7 years ago. Now if you draw a Bull tag your done for life, if a cow you wait 10 years. I am on about my 8th year. I had the last October hunt, they stopped it because the % of elk taken was not very good. I hunted hard all week and on the last day I filled my tag.  Usually 40-50 thousand put in for either 100-200 tags depending on the year. 

CodyM
19 hours ago, dogrunner said:

They changed it about 6-7 years ago. Now if you draw a Bull tag your done for life, if a cow you wait 10 years. I am on about my 8th year. I had the last October hunt, they stopped it because the % of elk taken was not very good. I hunted hard all week and on the last day I filled my tag.  Usually 40-50 thousand put in for either 100-200 tags depending on the year. 

Wow those are some tough draw odds

dogrunner
15 hours ago, CodyM said:

Wow those are some tough draw odds

Yes, I had been applying since the mid 80s before I drew one.  This year marks the 100th year for the Elk reintroduction to Mi, so they now offer a license plate with a elk on it, I will be getting one in a couple months for my new truck.  My bro in law got a tag about 5 years before me and also got a cow pretty much on his last day also, but he had the December hunt which is the best one to draw. 

browndrake

Well, the results are out. My 12 year old girl drew a cow elk tag for December.

Two of her cousins also drew tags.

We're going to set up camp and have some fun.

CodyM

Congrats to your daughter and her cousins!

mccuha

Just curious. I see the odds of drawing a bull tag and this is once and done tag.  What’s the odds of harvesting a bull. I know states publish this some times 

browndrake

Mccuha,

You are asking about MI? (I think..d/t the once and done)

In AZ, it varies from unit to unit, from very low to 100%.  Most units fall between 35-60% success.  My girl's hunt has been running mid 40s%

dogrunner

Here is how Michigan’s system works. The odds of harvesting a bull here are pretty good. The Dnr works with the hunters and landowners in the hunting area to keep the heard in check. They want the tags filled. When you draw a tag you get a packet in the mail in mid summer with guides and lots of other info. You don’t have to hire one but it definitely increases your chances with the right one for the area you have been drawn for  and I did hire one.  Once drawn you have to go to a class before your hunt it’s run by the Dnr and they lay down the rules which are pretty strict but it’s a good class to attend. 

745571DA-A44D-4D30-A383-3AAA88B5A084.jpeg

68B906EC-E4B8-49C0-8C0A-B953A0EE07FF.jpeg