FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Ulvy

Can a great grouse dog be great on woodcock?

CzechSM

In this current era of snowflakes and participation ribbons I would have thought you folks would have figured out that all bird dogs are equal and are “winners”

:PxD

terrym

A great grouse dog will handle woodcock as well. Not sure a great WC dog would necessarily handle grouse well. WC are great training birds because they hold, well some run but mostly they sit long enough for you to close in for a flush. 

Ben Hong
3 hours ago, terrym said:

A great grouse dog will handle woodcock as well. Not sure a great WC dog would necessarily handle grouse well. WC are great training birds because they hold, well some run but mostly they sit long enough for you to close in for a flush. 

By an accident of location, most of my dogs pointed woodcock first, some held steady as early as 3-4 months but it may take  many exposures to wild scary flushes by grouse, and screamed out "whoa's" by handler,  before the pup starts to learn how to NOT crowd the barstages. That is, any pup worth his salt and kibble.

bill
On 3/8/2018 at 12:25 PM, oak stob said:

Should a birddog ever be allowed to have a bad day?

LIKE US THE BEST SOMETIMES HAVE BAD DAYS

bill
On 3/7/2018 at 11:50 AM, Don Steese said:

Actually I doubt luck has a lot to do with it!! 9_9

NO ITS NOT LUCK ITS IN THE BREEDING EXSPOSURE TO WILD BIRDS YOU CANT LEAVE A HUNTING DOG IN THE PEN 9 MONTHS OUT OF THE YEAR AND TAKE HIM OUT AND EXPECT HIM TO BE A GREAT DOG HAVE FOOL WITH THEM ALL YEAR LONG. THE BASIC STUFF AND MAKE HIM YOUR FRIEND HE OR SHE WILL HUNT THEIR HEART OUT FOR U

Ben Hong

No need to shout...

Tony Moore

I have had great dogs from very average breeding, and very average dogs that should have been better, pups are a gamble, like humans genes are random, and unpredictable,

so I think "luck" plays apart..

max2
33 minutes ago, Tony Moore said:

I have had great dogs from very average breeding, and very average dogs that should have been better, pups are a gamble, like humans genes are random, and unpredictable,

so I think "luck" plays apart..

You have to agree that luck does play a part ~ however with a little research of your breed of choice you could give yourself some better odd's . (JMO)  I have found the uj to be a vast reservoir of knowledge and a good place to start. I was lucky enough to have a mentor who hooked me up with my breeder . From coming here I have some great ideas and places to start a search should the time arise. or should I say when ....

Don Steese
On 3/7/2018 at 9:50 AM, Don Steese said:

Actually I doubt luck has a lot to do with it!! 9_9

If you look at the original post I was replying to, it said something to the effect that dogs may have good luck handling woodcock but not such good luck handling grouse. I was stating the obvious, that, in that case, luck has little to do with it, rather it's a dog's genetics and past experience that will determine the outcome. We weren't talking about luck in picking one of the best puppies from a litter.