sprocket

Advantix II - Discussion

sprocket

I applied an Advantix II dose today on my Toller (if that makes a difference).  What are the reactions I should be looking for - after 12 hrs, there are no signs of abnormal behaviors.  It's all taken in stride - so to speak.

What are the abnormal things I should be looking at?

I know there are a lot of Serestro users here so please don't debate one vs the other.

Thanks

terrym

I was a big Advantix fan but switched over to Nexgaurd last year. Never had any side effects and Advantix II just plain works. My 8 year old Brittany got his first tick ever last spring but that's only because I started treating him too late. I prefer the Nexgaurd only because of the mess of the topical and we have a cat in the house too. 

Urban_Redneck

I've used Advantix II for a year. My dog was somewhat lethargic for 8-12 hours following application. She was about 60lbs, I had "over 55lbs",  so I started only using about 75% of the vial and observed no ticks or lethargy. She's slimmed down to 55-57lbs and I now use  "21 to 55lbs"  dosing to good effect.

I recognize the economics of marketing doesn't support having more, narrower, dose brackets. The stuff is poison, I want my pup to have the smallest dose that is effective.

Brad Eden

I used Advantix II topical on all my dogs for many years. Seemed to keep ticks at bay. No real negative reactions except they tried to lick it off and they smear it all over furniture etc., since we spoil them. Switched to Serest....never mind.

greg jacobs

I use Advantix II . I buy the big one 100 or 120? then split it for two. Cuts the cost in half.

sprocket
4 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

I used Advantix II topical on all my dogs for many years. Seemed to keep ticks at bay. No real negative reactions except they tried to lick it off and they smear it all over furniture etc., since we spoil them. Switched to Serest....never mind.

Ha!  I know it's a good alternative, just don't want 3 collars on him...

Cass

I loved advantix and used it for a couple years.  I just have a terrible memory and hate having to remember each dose.  I switched to seresto and like it just as much. 

Brad Eden
7 hours ago, sprocket said:

Ha!  I know it's a good alternative, just don't want 3 collars on him...

I'm trying to respect your wishes...;)...Serestos collars are relatively thin. I only have either a leather collar or a blaze nylon collar on Cash depending on hunting season or not. Hardly notice the Seresto. Not sure if that would be the case with what I assume is a regular collar and an e-collar of some sort. Some people swear by the Nexguard chewable pill. Cost is prohibitive for some.

IMG_0333.JPG

Serestos attract grouse too...

EB&Me

I've used Advantix II for three years, never had any adverse effects to either dog. My house dog is an English Bulldog, who is sensitive to it seems everything, but he has had no problems with it. Switched from Frontline which was not very effective on fleas or ticks. I get great results from Advantix II.

Curt
On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 7:20 AM, Brad Eden said:

This...also In my opinion the current product is less effective than it was a few years back.  When we first began using Advantix it was lethal on our NW PA ticks and really kept them at bay.  When I quit using it a couple years ago it didn't seem as effective, although it's possible I suppose that the ticks had adapted to it and built up some resistance, no way for me to know. 

We used it for a few years on three dogs in a heavily tick infested area and never had any negative reactions from the dogs, all brits.