max2

For the birders- backyard variations

max2

When I made the move here 13 years ago I stopped with the bird feeders. Just kept up with Humming birds. My feelings were by keeping feed in the feeder full time I would be also attracting the bad stuff- skunks, rats & the likes. After the recent storm I felt bad for the critters so I filled the feeders again to try and help them out . Just until the woods open up again. Three days and not a taker. They probably know those feeders have been empty for yrs.  I put some crow decoys all around it in hopes the other birds may come to investigate whats going on .  Will it work ? or should I pull the decoys.  These are the things contractors worry about when snowed in :D  come on folks you don't get this from news stand copies

P1000506.JPG

topdog1961

Not sure, but I think I remember my superstitious mom telling me that symbol in the snow, surrounded by six crows, was some sort of satanic cult. 😄

Virgil Kane

Try sprinkling a little bit of seed on the snow under the feeder and pull the decoys..  Birds flying over will spot the seed on the snow and stop to investigate .

Virgil

max2
1 hour ago, topdog1961 said:

Not sure, but I think I remember my superstitious mom telling me that symbol in the snow, surrounded by six crows, was some sort of satanic cult. 😄

Oh no ! :( please call your mom and check on this would ya..... I got enough crap going on right now  :D

Virgil ~ I tried that the first day . The seed trick on the snow. I went to home depot for supplies to rebuild the other feeder & just returned. I pulled the decoys and will put them out in about an hour and then pull them at dark.  I'm  on a mission ....

Millriver

Most of the birds I get here seem to like eating off the ground better than the feeders. Maybe shovel off a spot on the ground to spread the seed. I also only feed black oil sunflower seeds, which will attract bears if left out for too much longer.

I stopped filling the feeders a couple of weeks ago because the squirrels were driving me nuts and the bears were coming out of their dens. I'll refill them tomorrow to help the birds get through the next storm.

Good luck with yours!

quailguy
5 hours ago, max2 said:

Virgil ~ I tried that the first day . The seed trick on the snow. I went to home depot for supplies to rebuild the other feeder & just returned. I pulled the decoys and will put them out in about an hour and then pull them at dark.  I'm  on a mission ....

No crow decoys, crows are predators of smaller birds.

Fill the feeders and sprinkle seed on the ground and the birds will find you.

Chukarman

In my experience it takes time for the birds to 'discover' a previously inactive feeder. A week or 10 days before they are back. They WILL be back.

juneboy1

They will show, then when its empty, sit on a nearby limb and stare at you.

max2
8 hours ago, quailguy said:

No crow decoys, crows are predators of smaller birds.

Fill the feeders and sprinkle seed on the ground and the birds will find you.

That was my hope.  I was hoping the target animals ( pleasant birds to enjoy) would see the crows &  the full feeder.  I was hoping the target species would get a case of the ass and come fly'n in once the crows evacuated . I'm just little inpatient I guess.

quailguy
2 hours ago, max2 said:

I was hoping the target species would get a case of the ass and come fly'n in once the crows evacuated . I'm just little inpatient I guess.

We've had the same trouble here in NE PA since we moved. Our "yard list" (birds seen in or above our yard" was about 165 different species in south Texas. So far we are at about 20 here and it took 2 weeks to get anything but chickadees.  

Slowly, slowly we are getting more birds. You might put up some suet blocks, that will bring in woodpeckers and some other birds.

Bears can be a real PITA with bird feeders if you've any bears about. The Game Commish gets a little hot under the collar if one shoots a bear despoiling the bird feeders. 

Korthaar

I just started feeding this fall. They will come. Just be patient. I started with juncos and now have over a dozen different species just feeding sun flower seeds. I even have a wood pecker that likes them. Now the grackles have (black birds) migrated back. They wipe out the feeder in a day and they seem to run everything else off. I will stop into September when they leave for the year. Wait until you have coopers hawks stalking you feeder.  Nothing like doves exploding on you picture window trying to juke these raptors.

max2

As stated earlier before living here full time I always fed the birds.  Enjoyed it also. Today dug out some old cedar boards I had and built a feeder to replace one I had that was failing. I just put the first coat (probably only coat ) of sikkens on it and it is drying in the basement.  Dug out some old feeders for finch's . Went back to home depot for a squirrel guard  for the pole and some suet as mentioned by someone else. I'm just wait'n for the show to begin. :D   

Wisconsin

Our feeders are overflowing this winter.

IMG_3145.JPG

IMG_3311.JPG

IMG_3318.JPG

kgb

Starlings are our nuisance birds, wish the Cooper's/Sharp-shinned hawks would take them but it looks like yesterday it was a Junco that got picked off around the feeders.  

max2

I am not really up on my raptors but when I had my quail here the dam red tails were a pain in the butt.  Personally I think they should consider opening a season on the red tails. Put them in with the crows.