FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
max2

For the birders- backyard variations

quailguy
On 3/12/2018 at 8:52 PM, Millriver said:

A friend of mine just got back from a bird watching trip to Texas. He sent me his list of birds seen. I think it was something like 150 or so. I was blown away by the variety there. Very cool.

Another "hummingbird" photo from our yard in south Texas:

DSCN1426

Very abnormally, I think, we had 2 resident species of orioles; Scott's and Audubon's most of the year. We also had Baltimore orioles, Orchard orioles and Bullock's orioles during the migration. All of them frequented the hummingbird feeders, but they were very difficult to get a photo of.

Cooter Brown
10 hours ago, charlo slim said:

SW Oklahoma, Cooter.  We do have a few pioneer breeding sandhills starting to show up in the home Mission Valley of western MT in recent years but it is rare to see more than a dozen or  so at a time, even when they are staging up post-breeding. Pretty sure I have seen a thousand or more filter through here on some heavy migration days.  One of these years I am going to make it up to Nebraska on the Platte.  Just imagine +/- 250k of those pterodactyls swirling around clattering, gotta be an amazing sight... and sound.

Somewhere behind this glowing rectangular screen I've got some pics or maybe a link to some pics of a fairly large feathered dino fossil, feathers well defined.  It's wondrous to me to think that some of those huge dinos might have been feathered and brilliantly colored.  How spectacular they must have been!

charlo slim
12 hours ago, Cooter Brown said:

Somewhere behind this glowing rectangular screen I've got some pics or maybe a link to some pics of a fairly large feathered dino fossil, feathers well defined.  It's wondrous to me to think that some of those huge dinos might have been feathered and brilliantly colored.  How spectacular they must have been!

Yeah, those were the pheasant ancestor types.  I wonder what loads and chokes would have worked best for them. The ruffed grouse ancestors had yet to crawl out of the primordial sea by then.

quailguy
3 hours ago, charlo slim said:

Yeah, those were the pheasant ancestor types.  I wonder what loads and chokes would have worked best for them

I'm willing to bet that the M1A2 Abrams tank 120mm discarding sabot depleted uranium anti armor round would take apart any sort of dino. Maybe use the flechette rounds if they were flying.  B|

quailguy
16 hours ago, Cooter Brown said:

Somewhere behind this glowing rectangular screen I've got some pics or maybe a link to some pics of a fairly large feathered dino fossil, feathers well defined

IMHO if one really spends some time watching roadrunners, they seem to me to be the modern version of velociraptor. They are a fearsome predator of mice, lizards, smaller snakes and birds. To watch them charging around after some critter is to go back 200 million years or so. Oh, and they do require water in a drought, contrary to what one reads in various books.

DSCN2676

Cooter Brown
4 hours ago, charlo slim said:

Yeah, those were the pheasant ancestor types.  I wonder what loads and chokes would have worked best for them. The ruffed grouse ancestors had yet to crawl out of the primordial sea by then.

You're a lucky man to have been around to witness those events.

max2

Still nothing here. Except a decent snow cover. But I do know where they are ~ North Jersey  ! Went down Saturday and Sunday took a ride to a cemetery in Hackensack . When we pulled in ~ if there was one robin we saw 100 ~ just having a blast . I know if I were in NJ right now I would be in bird heaven ! 

charlo slim
19 hours ago, Cooter Brown said:

You're a lucky man to have been around to witness those events.

Well done, Grasshopper.:D

Big Al
On 3/18/2018 at 12:34 PM, quailguy said:

IMHO if one really spends some time watching roadrunners, they seem to me to be the modern version of velociraptor. They are a fearsome predator of mice, lizards, smaller snakes and birds. To watch them charging around after some critter is to go back 200 million years or so. Oh, and they do require water in a drought, contrary to what one reads in various books.

DSCN2676

I was driving through Oklahoma a few years back and saw my first road runners.  They were (wait for it)............running down the road.

Millriver
23 hours ago, quailguy said:

DSCN2676

Beep beep!

max2

A little  update. The birds seem to have found the feeder.  Been to cold to work outside as of late  so I have been home tinkering and enjoying the yard birds.  After lunch yesterday & today I put cut up core of an apple out on the ground and the  grey squirrels will come and grab it and when I see them eat it - I feel pretty good - do'n my part  I guess.  Once I finish the bag of seed I hope things will be green'n up and they can take what mother nature has to offer them. But for now I guess I will feed our feathered friends ! 

OH Grouser

No pics to share, but for the last week or so the White Throated Sparrows have been singing here early morning and toward dark. They're usually here for only a week or so each spring before continuing their trip to the northwoods.

For you guys in the upper midwest, they will be along shortly....a sure sign that spring is on the way.

Roger

Cold Iron
On 16/03/2018 at 10:24 PM, Big Al said:

White pelicans spend the winter down here.  They have already left to go back up north.  Before they leave we’ll have upwards of about fifty of them behind the house for a couple of days.  They are spectacular flyers also.  Similar to the cranes that Charlo described.

It took awhile but just checked and there are 2 sightings over on the River. Won't make it this weekend but hopefully next. I think I know where those pelicans end up that were behind your house. At least most years and yes they are great fliers too.

13836848223_07e5b3d36c_b.jpg

13916886258_5d4c03d91d_b.jpg

17 hours ago, OH Grouser said:

No pics to share, but for the last week or so the White Throated Sparrows have been singing here early morning and toward dark. They're usually here for only a week or so each spring before continuing their trip to the northwoods.

For you guys in the upper midwest, they will be along shortly....a sure sign that spring is on the way.

Roger

Well I'm waiting LOL. Cleaned the snow off part of the deck this morning to free up the smoker and fill the feeders. Checked the dates of previous pictures and your right they should be along any day now, around the first of May.

13914332588_474c68021f_b.jpg

Be awhile before the "exotics" come along, but that isn't too far off either. I just throw seed out on the table on the deck in another week or so. 

13968163330_35f80a86dd_b.jpg

Even longer before the hummers show up. Only get the ruby here but they are fun trying to get a picture of in flight. Should get another flash for off camera use to help reduce the wing blur. But right now going to order a Droll Yankee feeder for sunflower seeds. Really like the one I have for nyjer seed. But still use the plastic feeders for hummers and cut a perch off to keep them from landing on at least one post.

14237588053_b7aefdf67e_b.jpg

quailguy

Blue bird pair is in the nest box! This is my 1st attempt to set up a bluebird nest box so I'm hoping for success.

DSCN3171

topdog1961

Not a good pic, but this big guy was in my back yard this morning, a bald eagle. We're getting more of them here in NW Ohio, but I'm still thrilled every time I see one. 

image.jpeg