2018 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION HAS LAUNCHED Read more... ×
JWP58

2018 goals?

hobbes

Work at being a new grandfather while trying to keep up the father and husband gig.  :D

Hunt turkeys as many days in the spring as I can.

Work with Kassie and Finn Spring and Summer.

Have a much better archery elk season than I had in 2016 and 2017.

Acquire access to private ranches with birds.

Hunt each bird dog as much as I can.

Find more birds than last year.  Although, considering the snow that is still drifted and packed across Montana (after last year's drought), that may not be possible.

Keep working at that grandpa thing.

Big Al

Hopefully run Rhett more this summer than last.  It was too hot and dry last year for a lot of field work.  If I'm running Rhett that means I'm out too.  Maybe I'll be in better shape come fall.

I'm going up to Montana in April with the hope of getting my second turkey ever.  Got my first one last year.

Get a couple more deer blinds set up at the ranch.

jeff88
14 hours ago, gunsrus said:

Take me with ya and whip me back into shape too . Forget it , I would't last . I admire your drive . 

Al, it's the elevation that would do us in.  I live at 125' above sea level, above the tree line is way up there.  No air to breathe and everything is uphill, just like the school bus stop when we were kids.  B|

Flush

In Colorado where I have found ptarmigan, it's always been over 12,000ft.

Quite a few high roads here that will get you to 9k or 10k so its not so impossible to get up there, but the air is a bit thin when you do. You need to be in pretty decent shape to hunt them.

Big Al
53 minutes ago, Flush said:

Quite a few high roads here that will get you to 9k or 10k so its not so impossible to get up there, but the air is a bit thin when you do. You need to be in pretty decent shape to hunt them.

I know one thing I won't be doing and that's hunting ptarmigan in CO.

Dick Sellers

Same for me, and fortunately I got my fill of ptarmigan (Willow)  hunting in Alaska at close to sea level.

jeff88
30 minutes ago, Flush said:

My son and I hiked Rocky Mtn Nat'l in the "tundra" like areas trying to bump ptarmigan a few Augusts back.  While we didn't see any, it was really amazing to be up there.

Zoli 16ga.
On 12/03/2018 at 2:03 PM, martyg said:

Get this little guy on tons of birds.  He flew from VA to the Denver Airport in cargo. I flew up for the day to rendezvous with him and bring him home in the passenger compartment.

He is from exceptional breeding. I would be remiss to not do my part to help him reach his potential.

Jester_8_weeks_denver_airport.jpg

he looks really smart....a pudelpointer?

Grange

My biggest goal to to get my brittany pup going on grouse and woodcock and hope to enter some puppy trial stakes this fall.  If he is as successful as my setter was when she was a puppy, then I'll be very happy.  My setter won her first trial on planted birds, won her first coverdog trial and placed in two derby trials. I don't know if he'll be as good of a bird finder as my setter, but I'm not worried about his drive or this retrieving and he seems to be coming along well enough in his handling.