2018 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION HAS LAUNCHED Read more... ×
Brad H

Solo Clay Shooting

Brad H

I thought I would post this here to share with the Upland Journal Community. It is a link to a Blog Post of mine where I show the controller that I made to shoot clay pigeons by myself.

The controller connects to my automatic thrower and when I push a button on the remote it waits 5 seconds to throw a pigeon. Then when I press the other button it waits 5 seconds throws a pigeon, waits 3 seconds and throws a second pigeon. This way I can push the button and I have plenty of timer to get ready and shoot pigeons. I can now go shoot pigeons by myself. 

In the blog post I show the components so you could make one yourself it interested. I would be happy to share the Arduino code with anyone interested. 

https://gameandgrapes.blogspot.com/search/label/Shotgun

mccuha

Our automatic thrower has a foot pedal. Just step on it and a pigeon is thrown. FIL bought it quite a few years ago from somewhere I think out west. It has about a 200’ cable and the thrower is mounted inside of a 20’ tower on top of a hill that’s probably 20’ plus above ground level. It is an awesome dove tower

Jazz4Brazo

I have an auto thrower that I haven't used in a few years that came with both a pedal and a key chain fob...problem is that in both cases it throws the bird immediately which is a PIA when using it solo.

This is a cool set up...nice work! How much do you think this new two button set up would cost starting from nothing on hand and how much brain power will I need to pull this off? xD

J4B

RDG

I hope you guys know how lucky you've got it. 

I'd love a place to be able to practice shooting clays on my own. 

dogrunner

When I belonged to a different club and had a key, I would go there and take the cord on the trap or skeet field and just push it with my foot. No one was there so I could shoot from wherever I wanted to, it worked out good, now I cant do it at this club. :(

Brad Eden

That's a cool "McGyver" you put together there. I have an old Trius trap attached to a tire and a rim. I can attach a cord and pull it with my foot to throw clays, but it's better and more amusing for others to have someone else spring the trap and laugh at me miss.

Please note the new "UJ Members Blogs" Sub-Forum under General Discussions. You should makea Post about your Blog there.

Greg Hartman

I did that once - went to a SC range by myself, hoping to hook up with some other guys.  That didn't work out and I ended up shooting by myself with a delay puller.  It worked fine, but was no fun at all.  I would not do this again.

I guess I enjoy laughing at my squadmates and having them laugh at me as much as the actual shooting.

KerryLuft
24 minutes ago, Greg Hartman said:

I did that once - went to a SC range by myself, hoping to hook up with some other guys.  That didn't work out and I ended up shooting by myself with a delay puller.  It worked fine, but was no fun at all.  I would not do this again.

Different strokes, I guess.  More than half of my practice is solo on a delay timer.  OTOH, I would be the first to admit that my practice is not fun, it's work.  I actually get antsy when I'm working on something with another guy and someone else shows up and joins us and all of a sudden it's a social afternoon. 

Having said that, I wonder sometimes if I'm missing the point of shooting for fun. 

My club currently is selling a voice-activated remote release that can work on up to eight traps.  It's expensive ($400) and I have seen some people struggle with them, but others seem to have no problem.  The purchase might be in my future.

Greg Hartman
10 minutes ago, KerryLuft said:

Different strokes, I guess. 

Yeah.  I shoot for fun these days.  Still want to be the best I can be (within reason), but my competition days are long gone and I don't miss them.

KerryLuft
24 minutes ago, Greg Hartman said:

Yeah.  I shoot for fun these days.  Still want to be the best I can be (within reason), but my competition days are long gone and I don't miss them.

Hopefully I can get back to that point sometime.  I remember when I started shooting competition a frequent all-American told me, "I really don't shoot for fun any more, and if my buddies go out just for grins I pass on the shooting and meet them later."  I thought that sounded silly, but here I am.  I don't shoot other people's guns for kicks and grins, I hate it when people shoot the look pairs, I try to make every shot have a purpose -- and I realize that I sound like a total antisocial butthead.

But that ends when I walk off the course.  I love the socializing in the clubhouse!

The nice thing about shooting is that you can get whatever you want out of it.

Greg Hartman
35 minutes ago, KerryLuft said:

Hopefully I can get back to that point sometime.  I remember when I started shooting competition a frequent all-American told me, "I really don't shoot for fun any more, and if my buddies go out just for grins I pass on the shooting and meet them later."  I thought that sounded silly, but here I am.  I don't shoot other people's guns for kicks and grins, I hate it when people shoot the look pairs, I try to make every shot have a purpose -- and I realize that I sound like a total antisocial butthead.

But that ends when I walk off the course.  I love the socializing in the clubhouse!

The nice thing about shooting is that you can get whatever you want out of it.

Well, you need to take that approach if you are engaging in serious competition.  When you are going up against other folks with that same dedicated approach, there is no choice but to treat it as hard work. 

I did that for a number of years, finally realizing, in the late 90's, that I was burned out on serious competition; if I was going to work that hard, I wanted to be paid; and then discovered how good it felt to stop beating my head against that particular wall.  :)  Haven't looked back or missed it, but I don't regret having done that either.  I do remember getting a great deal of satisfaction from scraping out a winning score back in the day.

Brad H
14 hours ago, Jazz4Brazo said:

I have an auto thrower that I haven't used in a few years that came with both a pedal and a key chain fob...problem is that in both cases it throws the bird immediately which is a PIA when using it solo.

This is a cool set up...nice work! How much do you think this new two button set up would cost starting from nothing on hand and how much brain power will I need to pull this off? xD

J4B

I think that the electronics were around $25 on Amazon, I spent another $25 on an enclosure and a switch.  I had wire and soldering equipment and I cot off the end of an extension cord to plug into the thrower. Putting it together is pretty easy if you can solder and are somewhat electrically inclined. For me the hardest part was writing the code to control the unit. I would be happy to share the code with anyone that wants to build one. But I am an engineer so I design and build stuff like this every day so I may be trivializing the effort needed. 

Brad H
4 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

That's a cool "McGyver" you put together there. I have an old Trius trap attached to a tire and a rim. I can attach a cord and pull it with my foot to throw clays, but it's better and more amusing for others to have someone else spring the trap and laugh at me miss.

Please note the new "UJ Members Blogs" Sub-Forum under General Discussions. You should makea Post about your Blog there.

That's funny, When I learned to shoot I had the same thrower and I tied a loop in the end of the cord and would put my leg through it so that when I straightened my leg it would release. I shot lots of clays that way. 

settem

😀

I used to do the string thing too. 

I would use a long string behind a stake so I could shoot crossers on my own. 

Curt

Our club has a couple voice activated devices that enable a shooter to shoot skeet or trap on your own.  The thing fits on your belt, throws singles or doubles depending how you set it up, no wires, works pretty neat.