2018 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION HAS LAUNCHED Read more... ×
gunsrus

Beretta BL 3 20 gauge

gunsrus

Most know how much I like these guns and they don't show up too often . GunBroker 753467664 . Appears to be pretty nice starting around $600 , no reserve 5 days , 28" tubes . I have no affiliation . I hope Brad doesn't mind but for the money , you can't but a better balanced 20 gauge light game gun . 

Grifish

Al, Did you see the 28ga at Morphy’s Auction last week?

gunsrus
24 minutes ago, Grifish said:

Al, Did you see the 28ga at Morphy’s Auction last week?

I did not , any idea what it went for ?

Bluegill68

Geeze Al 

I went to bed high bidder dreaming of shooting quail and wake up to find myself out of the running. How about you champion another gun until I get one bought 🤣.  

Maybe a Winchester 140 as I have one I would sell. 

Cooter Brown

That looks like a nice one ni excellent condition.

I picked up one from Three Dogs for my cousin's son last fall.  I've had a BL4 12 ga. for years but the 20 ga. BLs really hit the sweet spot as an upland gun.

They're not the sleepers they used to be but are still some of the best deals out there.

JWP58

Really nice lookong gun. Id bet 1200 or by the time its done

Bluegill68

I have always been under the impression that the POW style grip was on earlier models only if so does anybody know the cut off point

Grifish
2 hours ago, gunsrus said:

I did not , any idea what it went for ?

Almost 2k , very nice with an english stock  and 28” barrels 

Auto-5

While I’ll admit that the BL-series as well as the S5x series are very nice gun s and relative light. I’ll share that I recently found a nice 12 ga.at a fair price and considered buying it. I called Coles just to inquire if there were indeed parts and support available for these guns and the response was a Mmmmm maybe. Per the gentleman I talked to, parts are not readily available so to quote him “ if you are just an occasional shooter you  might be ok but if you shoot a lot I’d probably look for a more modern gun”.  Plus they are  not  steel rated. Again I like these guns and I’ve seen it touted that repairs are no issue but my inquiries did not really support that scenario.

TJK68

I am watching this one my self. I know where a couple 20's and 12's are in the BL-3, I am interested in. I missed a really nice BL-4 12ga last week at Cabela's.

Cooter Brown
1 hour ago, Auto-5 said:

While I’ll admit that the BL-series as well as the S5x series are very nice gun s and relative light. I’ll share that I recently found a nice 12 ga.at a fair price and considered buying it. I called Coles just to inquire if there were indeed parts and support available for these guns and the response was a Mmmmm maybe. Per the gentleman I talked to, parts are not readily available so to quote him “ if you are just an occasional shooter you  might be ok but if you shoot a lot I’d probably look for a more modern gun”.  Plus they are  not  steel rated. Again I like these guns and I’ve seen it touted that repairs are no issue but my inquiries did not really support that scenario.

If we're talking about a steady diet of high volume target shooting, then I agree with the guy Cole's.  But I have no worries about the BL series guns holding up to upland use.  And the BL guns--even the 12s--are pretty light for heavy clays use anyway.  If you like the gun in question and want to use it as a field gun, you shouldn't worry about it.

As far as parts availability, that's a bridge that I'm sure could be crossed if need be--it has been with lots of older guns.

gunsrus

First of all , Bluegill , I am sincerely sorry . I hate when I'm looking at a gun and all of the sudden tons of interest . I was just trying to help. I will put one on my radar for your eyes only .

Like Cooter says they are not the sleepers they used to be . As most know , I collect . I have bought a few that were misrepresented and shot a lot . Rich Cole in Naples , Fla assures me , he has the parts and has rebuilt a couple for me , around $300 . 

THEY ARE NOT TARGET GUNS !!    As a game gun they will outlast you and probably generations to follow .

The 12's are nice , I have a 30" BL4 I shoot occasionally but the 20's and 28's are wands . For Upland grouse , I prefer the BL4 20 w 28" to my '53 Superposed 20 w 28" pipes and that's saying a lot . 

ThreeDogs
38 minutes ago, gunsrus said:

For Upland grouse , I prefer the BL4 20 w 28" to my '53 Superposed 20 w 28" pipes and that's saying a lot . 

Me too!......that somehow sounds different than it used to...

anyway one cautionary note unless you like a gun with very little DOC you may not like this gun. I haven’t handled it but own/have owned about 10 of theses and the models with the pow stock tend to be very straight and have very little drop. I have a bl-4 20 and a bl-3 20 with the pow stock versus the pistol grip. The bl-4 has 1 3/8 DOC and the bl-3 only has 1 1/8 DOC. I like a straight high combed gun so they are perfect for me but if you need a little drop you will be looking at a lot of rib to the bead.

my 2cents.

ThreeDogs

Case and point.

38615627-411C-4B19-AD50-8330C0A359CE.jpeg

gunsrus

Just a GunBroker heads up . I never bid on a gun until the last 15 minutes . My reasoning is it will show too much interest and there are some that follow that sign . I have had some bid right after me , ( several , I know who they are) I feel like they are watching for what I do .

I put the firearm on my radar and come back with minutes to spare in the bidding . JMHO . 

I see a couple familiar names bidding here . I would hate to see UJ out bidding UJ . Someone has to fold !!!!:D If that is anyones concern , pm me .

Al