2018 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION HAS LAUNCHED Read more... ×
gunsrus

Beretta BL 3 20 gauge

Swampy 16

Absolutely true. The modern methods have become the superior means to manufacture guns of excellent quality that the average Joe can afford. I just find it truly amazing that someone 100 years ago was able to get tolerances as tight as they can with a CNC machine now, with hand tools. It just gives a gun a story. When you’re resting on a stump in some remote thicket staring at your sxs you don’t think about the CNC machine that made it. But I always find myself thinking about the people that did that beautiful work all those years ago. I have many new guns that I love, but I’ll always have a soft spot for the old stuff. I just picked up a 1914 Winchester model 12 20 gauge with a cylinder choke that will be the first gun to see grouse duty come the 18’ season. It weighs about 5-1/2 pounds and points like a dream. The old stuff just gets to me.

Zoli 16ga.
2 hours ago, BlacknTan said:

I hold the opposite viewpoint...

While we all like to glamorize the mystique of the old gunmakers, the CNC, EDM and other computer controlled processes has driven precision gunmaking to new levels. What gun from the old days could interchange parts, and even complete barrel sets with no, to very minor degrees of fitting? 

The computer never gets mad at the boss for not getting a raise, not his wife for not making coffee that morning. Never tires from excessive overtime...

I'm the last guy to downgrade hand craftsmanship, but the modern technology cannot be denied!

I would much rather have an older hand finished Miruko v.s a newer... .whatever.

Imagine the sculpture "Winged Victory of Samothrace" remade by 3D printing. Just ain't the same. 

Really can't understand how the price of a new Holland & Holland costing so much more than a vintage one, that had ten times the man hours involved. Given the choice...i would much rather have and older gun (which 80% of mine are) then anything new. But, like you said....technology moves forward and certainly keeps guns affordable.

kgb
4 hours ago, BlacknTan said:

I hold the opposite viewpoint...

While we all like to glamorize the mystique of the old gunmakers, the CNC, EDM and other computer controlled processes has driven precision gunmaking to new levels. What gun from the old days could interchange parts, and even complete barrel sets with no, to very minor degrees of fitting? 

The computer never gets mad at the boss for not getting a raise, not his wife for not making coffee that morning. Never tires from excessive overtime...

I'm the last guy to downgrade hand craftsmanship, but the modern technology cannot be denied!

Modern technology has given us the Fox in numbers beyond the originals, I'd really like to see it bring us back the last of the Lefever doubles.  I'll take the old designs, in both of these guns, but there just aren't many originally produced.

Swampy 16

The reproductions are awfully nice, its too bad they're so expensive. I'd rather spend the money on an original. I'd also love to see CSMC start reproducing the old Lefevers or LC Smiths. I'm with you on that one KGB.