FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Fur and Feathers

Puppy vaccines

Fur and Feathers

I have a 12 week old dd pup. He had 6 week shots at the breeders. I brought him to my vet at 9 weeks for a booster and vet check. I'm going back tomorrow at 12 weeks for another booster, they also want to do Lyme, and rabies. More boosters at 15 and 18 weeks. 

Does this schedule sound OK? Seem young for rabies and Lyme? I guess its been a while since I had a pup but I don't remember as many rounds of shots and I always thought 6 months was when they started rabies. I want to do what's best for the pups health, but can they be over vaccinated?

sprocket

What type of dog?  And do you understand the breed specific stuff associated with the breed?

I have a Toller - they are pretty specific about vaccines, shots, etc. so what works for me won't work for you.

Once you understand the breed specific schedule you can dictate to your vet the schedule.  If the Vet resists, get a new vet - if you are well informed about immunization schedules you can regulate the sequence, informed vets will abide.  Being in tune with your dog/breed will get you farther overall.

Good luck and if I gave bad advise I hope I get smacked with a newspaper...trying to help.

Dogwood
10 hours ago, Fur and Feathers said:

I have a 12 week old dd pup. He had 6 week shots at the breeders. I brought him to my vet at 9 weeks for a booster and vet check. I'm going back tomorrow at 12 weeks for another booster, they also want to do Lyme, and rabies. More boosters at 15 and 18 weeks. 

Does this schedule sound OK? Seem young for rabies and Lyme? I guess its been a while since I had a pup but I don't remember as many rounds of shots and I always thought 6 months was when they started rabies. I want to do what's best for the pups health, but can they be over vaccinated?

How about having this exact discussion with your vet and go from there?  They're the experts and you're paying them for that advice so take advantage of it.  You can go to the AAHA vaccination guidelines and educate yourself further if you wish and discuss those also.

There are no breed specific vaccination protocols despite what breeders espouse.  There are no breed specific vaccination sensitivities or contraindications based upon breed alone.  Vaccination protocols should be tailored to regional disease risk, that individual dog's lifestyle risk factors, and any known sensitivities that have been observed in that individual.  Period. 

T-Bone

Food for thought on pet vaccinations; my Wife has been doing some research and got this response from a local Inland Northwest pet vet....

It starts with vaccines.

Most veterinarians give yearly vaccines, but do you know who wrote these vaccination protocols?

It wasn't your veterinarian. It was the pharmaceutical company manufacturing the vaccine.

This means that the same company that sets up the dosing protocols has "skin in the game" regarding how often it needs to be distributed.

Does something smell fishy yet?

You see, many pets began getting sick with chronic diseases and even dying from things which never used to harm pets and the AHVMA (our veterinary association) decided to find out why.

Long story short, they discovered that most vaccinations don't need to be given yearly. No, they discovered that vaccinations were just as effective if they were given every three years.

Pets were getting sick, and dying, because we were giving them three times the necessary vaccine and their body simply didn't know what to do with all the extra it didn't need.

When we found out about this I met with my partners to discuss changing our vaccination protocols so they lined up with the standard guidelines.

After all, what self-respecting veterinarian wanted to do anything that would harm the pets under their care?

But, the next time we met our accountant showed up.

You will not believe why.

The accountant preceded to tell us that the single most profitable part of our practice was our yearly vaccination protocol and if we moved to a 3 year vaccination protocol the profitability of our practice would be seriously compromised.

I was the only one who voted to vaccinate every three years. The rest voted to keep doing yearly vaccinations.

To his credit, this veterinarian sold his part of the practice and left.

Bullwinkle

Here we go again...  

Dogwood
20 hours ago, T-Bone said:

Food for thought on pet vaccinations; my Wife has been doing some research and got this response from a local Inland Northwest pet vet....

It starts with vaccines.

Most veterinarians give yearly vaccines, but do you know who wrote these vaccination protocols?

It wasn't your veterinarian. It was the pharmaceutical company manufacturing the vaccine.

This means that the same company that sets up the dosing protocols has "skin in the game" regarding how often it needs to be distributed.

Does something smell fishy yet?

You see, many pets began getting sick with chronic diseases and even dying from things which never used to harm pets and the AHVMA (our veterinary association) decided to find out why.

Long story short, they discovered that most vaccinations don't need to be given yearly. No, they discovered that vaccinations were just as effective if they were given every three years.

Pets were getting sick, and dying, because we were giving them three times the necessary vaccine and their body simply didn't know what to do with all the extra it didn't need.

When we found out about this I met with my partners to discuss changing our vaccination protocols so they lined up with the standard guidelines.

After all, what self-respecting veterinarian wanted to do anything that would harm the pets under their care?

But, the next time we met our accountant showed up.

You will not believe why.

The accountant preceded to tell us that the single most profitable part of our practice was our yearly vaccination protocol and if we moved to a 3 year vaccination protocol the profitability of our practice would be seriously compromised.

I was the only one who voted to vaccinate every three years. The rest voted to keep doing yearly vaccinations.

To his credit, this veterinarian sold his part of the practice and left.

FAKE NEWS!!!!!!

WITCH HUNT!!!!!