2018 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION HAS LAUNCHED Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
dgfavor

Nemesis Shot

dgfavor

Every once in a while the air really clears out and you can see "forever" across the Snake River Plains...particularly from my area I can see across the river, American Falls Reservoir, Craters of the Moon to the Pioneers beyond, the volcanic domes and the Lost River Range beyond them.  It's incredibly vast and I think you'd have to use a camera format that allowed you to make about a 12ft. wide print to really capture and appreciate the scale of it...beyond just looking at it.  I have many times tried to capture the sunset glow on some of those features and ranges but it's just a dang long shot across from my side.  The shot is complicated by low light on my side across the plains to hit the better golden hour exposed mountains...usually I just end up with real noisy, grainy shots that end up looking like cartoons more than photographs.  Best shot to date is probably this one of Big Southern Butte - but that's at best computer monitor quality:

DSC02458_zpscd330a13.jpg

The last couple days have been crystal clear, yesterday too much so to where there were not even clouds in the sky making for a pretty featureless upper image - I don't like shooting landscapes with blank skies.  Tonight when I left work I could see it was perfect conditions so grabbed my camera, jumped in the car, ran out the road behind my house a few miles and gave it a go again...and again I'm disappointed, more cartoons.  Just too damn far for my 300mm lens to really get print quality shots.  Still, very pretty and stunning piece of landscape to look across.  I've seen cool shots photogs have gotten from the north side of the river but I want to catch the water in the shot from the south side...I'm thinking it's gonna take a boat, be out on the water and cut off about 15 miles of the shot might do it!!  xD  The lens really forshortens/compresses these shots - believe me, these are a long waaaays out there.

East Butte and Middle Butte:

DSC00019_zpsgnmsbam3.jpg

Big Southern Butte on the left, I think the little dark hump on the right is Cedar Butte (?? anyone) with Lost Rivers beyond...I think O.o:

DSC00059_zpsgbt8luzc.jpg

Enjoying the view - for reference Big Southern Butte rises 2500ft from valley floor and tops out at about 7500ft.  The mountains beyond top out well above that:

DSC00104_zpsqow1jx44.jpg

Off my cell phone trying to get all the buttes and ranges in one frame...long freakin' way:

20180309_175406_zpsfunltgy0.jpg

Jack L

Simply stunning. Especially to an Iowa boy.

Greg Hartman

Wow!  What a beautiful place - what beautiful photos!

As you probably, know, it's pretty easy to add whatever sort of sky you want to an image.

mister grouse

Absolutely beautiful.  I have used a panorama feature on my phone to capture some of the vast expanse in the high desert; I get satisfactory large format images but the enlargements are not as sharp as the scenes deserve.  .   With your eye and the quality equipment you are using, the scenes receive photographic justice.  Congratulations.  

dgfavor

Thanks fellars, it really is a pretty impressive view on a clear day and brings out the nerd in me trying to figure out what exact butte, mountain, mountain range I'm looking at.

I'm not really into adding skies/clouds to landscapes.  I am usually shooting a photo with the hope and goal of it being worthy of going on a wall and being a reminder of a beautiful scene or event.  It  just wouldn't set with me to know everytime I looked at it it wasn't a true representation of the scene, that I'd modified it to be different than what it was...so I end up with a lot of crappy shots!!  xD  

I actually tried to use the Panorama feature on my phone to shoot the whole vast scene but it would not allow me to zoom using that function.  At the distant range I was at it wouldn't have looked like anything.  I did shoot, a couple different times as the sun set, a series of right to left shots of the whole range with the intent to stitch  them together into a pano which I've done before.  Creates a massive image for the computer that's hard to appreciate.  I may still process them and try it - was just kinda disappointed I didn't get better shots for a print so didn't bother.

Like moths to a flame I guess, others have had the same idea but pulled it off a bit better!  Some links to folks that have shot some cool photos of the Big Southern Butte from closer up and different perspectives:

This first one I actually first saw on the wall at a hospital as I was being wheeled into the OR/Cath Suite to have my ticker ablated...irritated me.  xD

Craters of the Moon

Big Southern Butte

Big Southern Butte

Sunrise at Big Butte

Cloud Eruption

Sunset on the Snake River Plain near Blackfoot, ID

EB&Me
7 hours ago, dgfavor said:

Thanks fellars, it really is a pretty impressive view on a clear day and brings out the nerd in me trying to figure out what exact butte, mountain, mountain range I'm looking at.

I'm not really into adding skies/clouds to landscapes.  I am usually shooting a photo with the hope and goal of it being worthy of going on a wall and being a reminder of a beautiful scene or event.  It  just wouldn't set with me to know everytime I looked at it it wasn't a true representation of the scene, that I'd modified it to be different than what it was...so I end up with a lot of crappy shots!!  xD  

I actually tried to use the Panorama feature on my phone to shoot the whole vast scene but it would not allow me to zoom using that function.  At the distant range I was at it wouldn't have looked like anything.  I did shoot, a couple different times as the sun set, a series of right to left shots of the whole range with the intent to stitch  them together into a pano which I've done before.  Creates a massive image for the computer that's hard to appreciate.  I may still process them and try it - was just kinda disappointed I didn't get better shots for a print so didn't bother.

Like moths to a flame I guess, others have had the same idea but pulled it off a bit better!  Some links to folks that have shot some cool photos of the Big Southern Butte from closer up and different perspectives:

This first one I actually first saw on the wall at a hospital as I was being wheeled into the OR/Cath Suite to have my ticker ablated...irritated me.  xD

Craters of the Moon

Big Southern Butte

Big Southern Butte

Sunrise at Big Butte

Cloud Eruption

All I can say is Outstanding!!

henryrski

Those are some cool pics. Good work.

MoSpaniels

I am just a viewing fan of photos like the ones displayed here on the UJ but it seems to me that I remember that one could rent lenses and other equipment for special trips and special occasions that may help you over take your nemesis. Just a thought.

Great pictures, just the same.

dgfavor
12 hours ago, MoSpaniels said:

I am just a viewing fan of photos like the ones displayed here on the UJ but it seems to me that I remember that one could rent lenses and other equipment for special trips and special occasions that may help you over take your nemesis. Just a thought.

Great pictures, just the same.

Yah, I've rented lens and cameras many times - I only do it when I know I'm going to a "target rich" spot so to speak so as not to waste my money.  The key to pulling off this shot from great distance across the reservoir is the weather and the air being very clear - like after a storm...which is pretty unpredictable. ;)  Best option seems to be...drive around the lake and get closer and take same shots as the rest of the guys!!  xD

I stitched 6 photos together to come up with a pano that is actually a pretty massive file in print format 300ppi...looks kinda decent stretched completely across my computer monitor at 72ppi.  Can't figure out how to post full size pano.  I remember on DP Review forums guys posting pano's you could click on and get them full across your monitor but I'm striking out figuring it out.

Untitled_Panorama1_zpsketovfbl.jpg

dgfavor

Took some more whacks at it today after big daytime storm moved thru, cleared the air.  Still south of river but closer:

DSC00151_zpsjfjkyhtm.jpg

DSC00180_zps1mjjeac1.jpg

DSC00231_zpsiwcfxk9j.jpg

East Butte:

DSC00228_zpsiibt1cfg.jpg

Had this dude sneak up on me while I was setting up and took a snap shot at 'im:

DSC00193_zpsaygcxtnq.jpg

Not a horrible view turning around and looking the opposite direction but it's got the darn town in the way:

DSC00236_zpszzg6caem.jpg

Rockdoc

Does East Butte have a bunch of antenna's on top?

dgfavor
3 hours ago, Rockdoc said:

Does East Butte have a bunch of antenna's on top?

Yah, I'm not sure what all of them are for but it is within confines of the Idaho National Labratory, aka Idaho National Engineering Labratory,  so off limits for general human travel.  Interersting area out there history wise from both human and geologic perspectives...plus some massive bull elk.  xD