Brad Eden

More Tractor Talk...bucket hooks etc.

Brad Eden

I am back on the sub compact tractor thing as indicated by me high jacking a recent tractor thread...

I have had had a few dealerships competing for my business, just like buying a car. I convinced them to throw in a bucket hook(s) as part if the deal. I'd have to look at the estimates but I think one planned on one hook and the other two. Both would weld it/them to bucket.

Do you need bucket hooks?

Whats the best for a sub-compact tractor with a relatively small loader bucket? One in middle? Two lined up with loader arms?

Outside of the obvious what would you use those hooks for?

gunsrus

Mr Eden seems like you're going in "whole hog" with this new property . My hero !!

salmontogue
4 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

I am back on the sub compact tractor thing as indicated by me high jacking a recent tractor thread...

I have had had a few dealerships competing for my business, just like buying a car. I convinced them to throw in a bucket hook(s) as part if the deal. I'd have to look at the estimates but I think one planned on one hook and the other two. Both would weld it/them to bucket.

Do you need bucket hooks?

Whats the best for a sub-compact tractor with a relatively small loader bucket? One in middle? Two lined up with loader arms?

Outside of the obvious what would you use those hooks for?

What size tractor?  Hook placement depends to a degree on the lift capability of the loader.

Perk

Brad Eden
Just now, salmontogue said:

What size tractor?  Hook placement depends to a degree on the lift capability of the loader.

Perk

IMG_0631.JPG

Like this. Sub Compact as I mentioned. Small, 19-24 hp. homeowner type. Bucket is 6' across I think. (Don't anyone bother trying to talk me into a Compact or bigger tractor. Not gonna happen. This is all I need and what I might be able to afford.)

rich223

Bucket hooks a very useful if you pull things out and have to lift at the same time which you will have to do eventually with a front loader. And hooks are cheap. I would have two welded on one on each side. They will also prevent you from damaging you front loader arms by using the hooks instead of the arms.

Samuel Hoggson

Not an absolute must-have, but a hook is handy for vertical lifts.  You can pull stuff - like a car in a ditch - just fine with the rear hitch or a draw bar.  Lift is nice for moving implements around, on-off the truck bed.  I keep thinking about having one welded, never got around to it.  Not yet, anyway.    

Brad Eden
16 minutes ago, gunsrus said:

Mr Eden seems like you're going in "whole hog" with this new property . My hero !!

Ive been wanting one for a long time. The older I get the more I need one. This last 16-20 inches of wet heavy snow may have put me over the top. Even with a plow and a walk behind blower I need something to pick up and move heavy snow. We also had some huge pines taken down as described in another Topic. The logs and big branches were taken away and/or chipped. I was left with a yard strew with smaller branches and crap. Being able to move that just into the woods and dump it would be great. I can come up with a hundred other things I could do with it to rationalize the potential purchase!

BlacknTan

Brad, Once you get a tractor, you will be amazed how much you use it, and how you ever got along without it. I've got two bucket hooks I welded up myself, in line with the loader arms. 

You can see them pretty well if you enlarge the photo..

LcGKEjl.jpg

This guy also makes nice, useful stuff..

http://www.boltonhooks.com/

Locher

Brad,

You'll love the tractor.  I have a John Deere 2305 which looks similar to the one you pictured above.  I bought it with a 54" loader, 62" mower deck.  Later I bought a front mount 48" snowblower and a 4' box blade.  A buddy has a garden tiller that I use as well.  Once you get the tractor, you'll start running out of room for implements.

I don't have chains mounted to my loader bucket but they would come in handy.  Just make sure you get a ballast box or get the fluid in the tires.  Subcompacts are nice for a lot of tasks, but they can be a bit tippy with a full loader bucket.  And it doesn't take much weight in the loader at all to make it tippy if you're on sloping or uneven ground.  I've had the back tires lift off the ground unexpectedly several times which is a scary feeling.  I don't do any loader work anymore without attaching the ballast box.  

Eric

salmontogue

I would go with two hooks.  Use both to prevent twisting and torqueing the loader arms.  Consider using slings for lifting.  A woven materials basket, a larger heavier version of a woven tote, like the one sold by waste management is very useful.

Larger than needed is usually not a good plan because the bigger machines can be clumsy, particularly around buildings and mowing.  I use a JD X500 garden tractor, 26hp with a four foot deck for the close in work near buildings, gardens and trees.  Consider a collection system for fall chores as it is fast and efficient.  It saves your back.

Perk

Brad Eden

I do have a JD lawn tractor for mowing, so wouldn't need or get a mower deck. But a front or rear snowblower may be in the future, even a plow if I ever decide to retire the plow on my aging truck. I'm sure I'd find a need for a backhoe but the units I'm looking at ( and can afford) don't accept a dedicated back hoe.

rich223

If you plan on doing any digging in dirt I would get a replaceable cutting edge that bolts on for your bucket it’s going to dig better in dirt and keep you bucket edge from wearing and damage.

salmontogue

A front mount snowblower is much easier to use than a rear mount.  My old 2150 used a rear mount and it was harder to maneuver and, because of that, much slower.  You can mount a plow on the rear three point hitch.  A real advantage is that it mounts and demounts quickly.  During winter months I have the front mount blower and rear mount blade which is handy for breaking ice and when slightly elevated and angled will push back snow banks without causing ground damage.  A nice and inexpensive accessory is the trailer ball adapter for the three point hitch.  You can attach a moderate size dump or flatbed trailer to haul debris around your place.  You can also use it to move trailers in and out of storage.  I welded up a small flatbed with a generator that allows me to use electric tools without extension cords and the worry of a voltage drop.  My wife has claimed that as her property and uses it frequently for various yard chores.

Perk

salmontogue
2 minutes ago, rich223 said:

If you plan on doing any digging in dirt I would get a replaceable cutting edge that bolts on for your bucket it’s going to dig better in dirt and keep you bucket edge from wearing and damage.

Rich makes a great point.  Many of the cutting edges are reversible to take advantage of the second side after the first is worn.

Perk

BlacknTan

Compact tractors are not meant for digging.. they lack the weight, but can do an acceptable job with a toothbar, as seen on my bucket.

a2wnQoL.jpg

The number of implements and attachments is what makes the tractor the useful workhorse that it is.

P.S.

I did not dig this pebble out with the bucket! I roll them out with the subsoiler on the 3PH in the previous photo. Easy peasy, and little damage other than filling the hole where the rock resided. Mother Nature has a way of providing more victims each Spring!