2018 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION HAS LAUNCHED Read more... √ó
Brad Eden

More Tractor Talk...bucket hooks etc.

salmontogue
10 hours ago, 25/06 said:

I have seen a rear mount snow blower you use going forward.... Are these any good?

seems like if the snow was deep it would not work well? We do not get snow like you guys inthe NE

Brad I am assuming yours will have a post hole auger as an option?ūüėČ

I have never seen a forward facing rear mount in action.  I wonder how much of a mess it would make.  It might be ok, I just don't know.

Perk

shoot-straight

Bought a used bx2200 kubota w bucket this fall to replace an older jd855 that didn't have one. It's a much smaller Tractor, about same hp. 

Really impressed w it so far. Bought a small ballast box for it to make it more stable. I would negotiate for a block heater or some other type of heating system if it's not kept in a heated shop. 

Brad Eden

Block heater is also part of my plan.

sloth5202

Why don't more of you guys use skidsteers?  Based on the types of jobs you guys are talking about it seems to me it would do the trick.  Most of you aren't doing any traditional field tillage or planting.  I know they don't mow but they are quite maneuverable and the attachments available are mind boggling.

We have both out at the farm and I have to admit I like climbing up in the tractor and playing farmer but the skidsteer does almost all the jobs faster and easier.

Craig Doherty

Didn't read the whole thing -- but at the price of tractors I'd be negotiating for a set of forks to switch out with the bucket -- much more useful for moving brush and other stuff.  Bucket doesn't really hold much specially if the material being moved is wider than the bucket.

Craig Doherty
19 minutes ago, sloth5202 said:

Why don't more of you guys use skidsteers? 

Price -- the smallest Bobcat lists for $35,000 and it's not really designed for mowing which is what most people end up doing the most of with a tractor.

Natty Bumpo
On ‚Äé3‚Äé/‚Äé12‚Äé/‚Äé2018 at 8:02 AM, shoot-straight said:

I would negotiate for a block heater or some other type of heating system if it's not kept in a heated shop. 

Roger that.  Very worthwhile to have.

I keep the Orange L3010 in an unheated pole barn. I got the dealer to throw in a block heater and loaded rear tires as part of the purchase package. It gets below -20F hereabouts every so often. IIRC, the engine will be warmed up enough to start after only 2-3 hours of plug-in time. That Kubota has never failed to start, no matter how cold it gets.

Dogwood

My Kubota has a block heater but I've never needed to use it.  On really cold mornings I leave the key in the prestart position to warm the glow plugs for 10 seconds then turn it over.  Boom.

BlacknTan
1 hour ago, Dogwood said:

My Kubota has a block heater but I've never needed to use it.  On really cold mornings I leave the key in the prestart position to warm the glow plugs for 10 seconds then turn it over.  Boom.

Ditto..

co_setter
On 3/11/2018 at 11:44 AM, Samuel Hoggson said:

Brad,  Some last thoughts before you pull the trigger. 

Wheels can be mounted any number of ways affecting tractor width.  Loader and blower ought to be at least as wide.  Wide stance gives you greater stability off level/road.  Good friend in CT bought a JD750 w/narrow stance.  Day he bought it was killed when it rolled on a slope.  OTOH, too wide in front can overstress a front MFWD axle.

Small loader tractors are handier than pocket on a shirt, but can kill you in a New York minute.  Make sure you have either weighted tires or weight box and always keep the bucket as low as possible and be especially careful on side slopes.  I had 3 neighbors killed in tractor overturns in a 4 year period.  Hate going to funerals.

OldSarge

I am in the process of getting a compact tractor myself. I am going for the 30-40 horse JD with loader and backhoe. I have 200 acres of hardwood forest that I want to create trails on. I would go with either two or three hooks on the bucket. Two hooks allows me to chain lift longer items like logs or lumber and balance the load. Center point will help with grubbing our stumps and roots. 

Samuel Hoggson
10 hours ago, co_setter said:

Small loader tractors are handier than pocket on a shirt, but can kill you in a New York minute.  Make sure you have either weighted tires or weight box and always keep the bucket as low as possible and be especially careful on side slopes.  I had 3 neighbors killed in tractor overturns in a 4 year period.  Hate going to funerals.

Very good point re bucket position when moving.  Even the smallest compacts will crush you in a roll-over. 

My friend's 750 had no ROPS (roll bar), nor was he belted.  Never know exactly what happened, but he was under the full weight when I found him.  Roll bar saved my butt over at Dad's when a center-rotted fir attacked me.    

Brad Eden

Could have used that sub compact this morning and today. (Subs are the smallest tractor with loaders, etc. Thus smaller than Compacts and generally have 18-24hp Diesel engines) A good 20" yesterday and last night. Still looking at 6" or more through day. 32 degrees so wet and heavy. I went out and snowblowed and plowed twice yesterday including at around 9pm. So I was able to clear enough for JoAnn to get out of driveway for work this morning. We had to cut down the literally 4 foot solid berm at end of driveway, in half with shovels before I could break through. As far as roll overs, my property is flat for the most part.

Natty Bumpo
3 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Could have used that sub compact this morning and today. (Subs are the smallest tractor with loaders, etc. Thus smaller than Compacts and generally have 18-24hp Diesel engines) A good 20" yesterday and last night. Still looking at 6" or more through day. 32 degrees so wet and heavy. I went out and snowblowed and plowed twice yesterday including at around 9pm. So I was able to clear enough for JoAnn to get out of driveway for work this morning. We had to cut down the literally 4 foot solid berm at end of driveway, in half with shovels before I could break through. As far as roll overs, my property is flat for the most part.

Well then, your situation with the EOD 4ft solid berm of plow bank snow is a kind  of test case for what kind of  HP, tires, weight, etc you would need to on a tractor to handle that "cement snow" mess. Probably partially frozen too.  :ph34r:

We have seen that movie before and simply pushed that soggy mess, load by load, across the road and piled onto a vacant lot. The blowers on smaller tractors, either front or 3PH mount,  probably won't work too well on supersaturated snow, from experience in Michigan.. 

Samuel Hoggson

18-24 hp sub-compact will be plenty.  New model will have hydrostatic, allowing you to keep RPMs where you like during operation through varying snow depth/density.  Second, you can lift the hitch to make an elevated first pass, then return to start point and set the blower on the ground next pass.  Third, you can take smaller slices each pass, eg., make a 2.5' wide cut with a 5' blower.  I make use of both those tricks b/c the old girl has gears.   

Bucket will manage 4' banks just fine.