• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
Brad Eden

More Tractor Talk...bucket hooks etc.

Kansas Big Dog
On Monday, March 12, 2018 at 12:29 PM, sloth5202 said:

Why don't more of you guys use skidsteers?  Based on the types of jobs you guys are talking about it seems to me it would do the trick.  Most of you aren't doing any traditional field tillage or planting.  I know they don't mow but they are quite maneuverable and the attachments available are mind boggling.

We have both out at the farm and I have to admit I like climbing up in the tractor and playing farmer but the skidsteer does almost all the jobs faster and easier.

I grow organic produce and use mine to cultivate. A couple rows of potatoes. 

20170424_105807_resized_1.thumb.jpg.b0d31bb3dbc9b85ef95d7cac79f27c28.jpg

shoot-straight

i used to have sunflowers planted at my place for doves. they were weedy- i bought a "one row cultivator" and went to work. about 2 hours later it was amazing the difference it made. i live in farm country, but am not a farmer by any means, nor do i really try to be. however after i was done, a local big time farmer stopped me as i was mowing and asked who culitvated my sunflowers. i wasnt sure of his interest, but i said it was me- he said "wow, you did a great job  they look amazing". i cant tell you how good it made me feel.  

my newer and smaller framed kubota will have a tougher time cultivating if i start planting again  thats for sure. 

versdog

Brad I grew up on a farm and still work on the farm with my dad. I personally have a 45 hp tractor now. Here are what I would recommend:

1. Get quick attachment for the bucket. Tons of attachments you can get. I'm always drooling over New ones.

2. Get beet juice in the rear tires and maybe wheel weights. It won't matter what your hydraulics capacity is if all it does is lift the rear of the ground. 

3. Put 3 hooks on the bucket.

4. Not sure what transmission your looking at but hydrostatic loses 5 hp, a shuttle shift is more efficient.

5. Get a block heater.

6. If you don't get a cab, get a heat houser from femco.com you'll be happy if your plowing snow. 

7. If you haven't decided on brand, I would buy a Kubota. Not what I have but I think it is the best compact tractor brand.

Natty Bumpo
1 hour ago, versdog said:

4. Not sure what transmission your looking at but hydrostatic loses 5 hp, a shuttle shift is more efficient.

^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^

When I bot my Orange L3010, the engine HP was rated at 32 HP. I was advised to get "at least a 30HP tractor" for my task list. The dealer sold me on the shuttle shift; very intuitive even for a non-mechanical genius guy like me. Very useful for both loader and snow blower use IME.

Brad Eden

Sub-compact, not bigger Compact. All I can afford and need. Limits a lot of the bells and whistles mentioned. Will be buying Kubota BX2380 if I do. For resale alone since we have a 2 year plan and are then moving. Also the Kubota dealership/salesman was the most respectful and  responsive to my constant badgering and dickering. Tractor purchase is currently on hold now. Thanks for all the input, very informative Topic that I will keep track of.

Wirehair
On 3/10/2018 at 10:01 AM, Brad Eden said:

So is the consensus 2 hooks or one in middle for a small loader bucket? Seems you need to attach a strap or chains to both hooks and then pick up from the center. Wouldn't one center Hook accomplish that?

Hooks are cheap. 1 centered or 2 will work. If in doubt get 3.

Another handy thing is have a hole drilled in the center of the bucket near the cutting edge. You can attach a ball to move trailers around, a clevis, or pin for farm type hitches.

Brad Eden
22 minutes ago, Wirehair said:

Hooks are cheap. 1 centered or 2 will work. If in doubt get 3.

Another handy thing is have a hole drilled in the center of the bucket near the cutting edge. You can attach a ball to move trailers around, a clevis, or pin for farm type hitches.

For a small 6' bucket on a sub compact tractor (these are very small tractors), one Hook centered in middle seems to be the way many go.

salmontogue
6 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

For a small 6' bucket on a sub compact tractor (these are very small tractors), one Hook centered in middle seems to be the way many go.

Consider using a grab hook, not a slip hook.  A combination of chain and slings may work better than chain alone in some applications.

Perk

Randy S

Single hook in the center. I'm not into machinery model numbers, mostly because we have too many at our airport to keep straight. But we have three end loaders, all yellow Deere's and probably a dozen buckets and blades. To give some perspective our snow blades (ramp buckets) are 20' wide. All of the buckets have a single hook on the center. Can't imagine why a user would stress cylinders with a side pull. Even with the size of our equipment we have the back wheels off the ground when pulling footings, stumps and moving trees.

I have a 50 yr old Deere skid steer at home that I paid less than $4,000 for 15 years ago and someone new stops every few months and asks to buy it. When I tell them I'm not ready to sell, but when I am I won't take less than $4,000 they leave their number. I don't think there's a piece of equipment that holds it's value or is easier to resell than a decent skid loader. The only residential downfall of a skid steer is it's tough not to tear up a lawn when turning. But if you don't have to move snow a long ways off a hard surface, they clean up a driveway faster than anything. 

I didn't read all the replies, but you won't regret a set of forks for the front. When you have them you find that you use them a lot. A hole for a hitch ball in the end of one fork is a lot easier to maneuver equipment than one in the bucket. But you'll find a ball in the bucket is better than none at all. 

Becassier

I have 5 hooks on my bucket.

3 on top and one on each side.

I've never thought I had too many...

Hooks on Bucket - Top.jpg

Hook on Bucket - Side.jpg

Brad Eden
37 minutes ago, Becassier said:

I have 5 hooks on my bucket.

3 on top and one on each side.

I've never thought I had too many...

Hooks on Bucket - Top.jpg

Hook on Bucket - Side.jpg

What size tractor and bucket...or does size matter?. I'm talking relatively tiny subcompact with 6' loader.

Becassier

Brad, that's a 6 ft bucket on a 47HP tractor.

If you know how to rig things, you can use a hook system like that to pick up long objects (think pipes, poles, culverts, etc.).

BraqueLover

I have 3 hooks on the top of my bucket and they have come in very handy.  They are cheap and you will have the tractor for a long time.  I personally would rent a small excavator for a long weekend rather than buy a backhoe.  We did just that over Labor Day weekend.  In 10 hours we did everything we needed and returned it Monday.  No maintenance and much better suited for the job.  I will rent one again when needed.  Tractor is the most handy thing.  Once you have it you will wonder daily how you lived without it.

erik meade
On 3/29/2018 at 2:55 PM, Brad Eden said:

What size tractor and bucket...or does size matter?. I'm talking relatively tiny subcompact with 6' loader.

The subcompacts typically have a 4' bucket - If I remember from my tractor shopping a year and a half ago.

rich223

I just looked at the specification sheet for Kubota sub compact loaders it’s listed at 48 inches not 72 inches.