• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
grouse28

Coccidia

grouse28

A friend just got a Brittany puppy from what I thought was a respected breeder in upstate PA. Have know several dogs from the same kennel and they were fine hunters.

Kennel had 3 or 4 litters in Jan which I thought may be excessive. Anyway the pup was diagnosed with Coccidia. Never ran into this before. Sounds like hygene problems at the kennel or is this more common than i thought? Pup was lethargic, not eating. Being treated now and is responding well. i.e. acting like a puppy.

oak stob

Smallest pup, more reserved?

grouse28

small and reserved.

oak stob

With that many litters and mates around, some pups may experience stress from being little and shy and pushed around....no expert but I seem to recall that stress was mentioned once with my wife’s kittens and coccidiosis.

Be interesting to hear a vet’s opinion.

Plus, if there are cats around, a pup can be a bit happy to gulp anything in their path...cycle completed.

Not sure if cat and canine cocidia are the same tho?????

Not sure also that I could fault the kennel without more info and direct evidence.

Regardless, sounds like the issue is well in hand, good.

Brad Eden

Dogwood is slacking off.

Korthaar

This is a relevant concern in animal husbandry and usually linked with hygiene practices.

shoot-straight

My lab pup showed symptoms of a coccidia infection soon after I got him. Not a vet, but yes i understand it can be linked to hygene at the kennel- but from what I have read it's way more common than most think, the Symptoms only show themselves when the animal is stressed. For mine, the flight from Seattle to MD did it. 

No no lasting issues from it, but it did make potty training more challenging that's for sure.

All the best for the little guy.

Dogwood
On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 8:41 PM, Brad Eden said:

Dogwood is slacking off.

Yeah well it's been a while since I got a raise bub.  From zero.

Coccidia is pretty common and I would not impugn (that means blame, Brad) the breeder.  A week of Albon or similar med and the pup should be golden.

grouse28

Pup is being treated and is now acting like a normal puppy.

Chewing and tearing around the house.

Cute, as all Britts are.

kgb
On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 7:21 AM, Dogwood said:

and I would not impugne (that means blame, Brad) the breeder.

It does when spelled correctly, anyhow.  

;)

Dogwood
1 hour ago, kgb said:

It does when spelled correctly, anyhow.  

;)

oopsies

oopsy's

oopzies

kgb

Don't ask me about oopsies, I have no idea there nor in okie dokies.  

Crazy Horse
32 minutes ago, Dogwood said:

oopsies

oopsy's

oopzies

Is that similar to heart worm???  ;~)

barna

My understanding is that stress is factor in the dog's ability to suppress the bacteria.  There is a certain level of bacterial that is present but most of the time its not an issue. About 8 years ago my then 3 year old Vizsla was diagnosed with Coccidia, we were in ND late September, he had the explosive diarrhea for a few days, no fun cleaning the kennel.   Vet thought he must have drank some contaminated water somewhere while out hunting. Got him on medication, and he was better in 24 hrs.

Barna

Kansas Big Dog
On 3/23/2018 at 3:30 PM, barna said:

Vet thought he must have drank some contaminated water somewhere while out hunting. Got him on medication, and he was better in 24 hrs.

When we are hunting in MT or some other western areas of KS where it is dry and has stagnant water, it is very hard to keep your dog out of it. If we notice any of our dogs drinking bad water, we proactively give them probiotics and pepto bismol . It does not eliminate the bad stools, but allows them to hold them so there is no mess.